HumminGuru ultrasonic RCM FTW! (The one from Kickstarter)

Yeah, I might have gotten a Hummingbird or one of the other less expensive ones at the time. I just can’t say whether the AD is worse, better, or as good value for money. I have not looked at the Hummingbird spec. Is it fully auto, including drying?

Yes, more or less fully auto and drying with fans. You fill water in at the top, push button, it cleans, pumps water into a removable tank, dries. 7-15 minutes depending on settings

OK. I see. If it works, sounds like a winner.

I think the other thing to consider is what kind of duty cycle it can handle. The Audio Desk was designed and built to handle large collections, and professional situations (thus, the name, Vinyl Cleaner Pro). I know Acoustic Sounds in the U.S. uses it to process used record collections they acquire and resell. I believe the Library of Congress uses it too. I have a collection of some 4000 LPs. I wouldn’t want a cleaner that starts to fail after a few thousand or less cleaning cycles.

For those with smallish collections it probably doesn’t matter. For me it does matter. That could be the difference in price for the Audio Desk. It is built like a tank.

2 Likes

I was talking about average quality distilled water, the cheapest ones you find in the supermarket. Not tap water that I didn’t had any intention to use, for the reason you evoked.

Sure, those are considerations. With 4,000 albums, I guess somewhere between 50-150K invested (no upper limit), the proposition of a 3-4K cleaner certainly looks different as well.

In my case, I cleaned my ~700 albums already in bulk with another take on the AD concept, the cheap cleaners that simply attach a motor assembly on top of a regular commercial ultrasonic cleaner. So now I clean only individual albums when purchased or listening, and the HG is pretty ideal for that (and also smaller than the AD and easily stored and retrieved). We will see how long it will last before breaking, but again at a tenth of the cost I am not too bothered.

Anyway, I was just trying to encourage @Isca_Dumnoniorum to stop mulling and to get either, but to get the HG rather than none

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice @Suedkiez and @JosquinDesPrez - much appreciated.

2 Likes

I use my project cleaner for really dirty records first and then the Humminguru with the G Sonic cleaning fluid.

1 Like

I think doing both is about as good as most of us can get. It is a LOT of faff though…:grimacing:

My wife’s watched me clean records with both the okki nokki and humminguru. Being an ex jeweller and seeing one of the second hand record shop dealers clean a record with just a cloth she said that with old jewellery they first ultrasonic cleaned then did a deep clean with a soft and hard brush then ultrasonic cleaned again. Her theory is that doing a three way clean with second hand vinyl would get the best out of it. Ultrasonic first to loosen dirt then a scrub on the okki to lift the loosened dirt out more then a last ultrasonic to get the last of the dirt out. Sounds like a good idea may try it one day.

That’s what I have my Kirmuss for. It’s more of of a PITA to use but it’s pretty good at deep cleaning records that are just dirty and not damaged. But it’s not cheap to acquire either. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like she wants to keep you busy :laughing:

2 Likes

Just had confirmation AS shipped the last part of my order, hopefully the fluid is inbound for you too FR.

1 Like

Thanks, good to know. I am waiting since 2 weeks or more. We shall put about 1/2 coffee spoon.

Just opened the package. Tamper proof bottle, inside plastic bag. Inside recycle friendly Jiffy. Inside an entirely recyclable Jiffy. Still leaked :person_facepalming:

@gthack - I’m watching this carefully!!
How long have you had to wait for the HG to be delivered?

Ah, sorry, this was me waiting on some degritter fluid to try in my HG. Frenchrooster ordered the same fluid from the same supplier, and we both had a bit of a wait for it.

I didn’t wait long for my HG, but ordered when they were in stock.

I ordered my HG 16th Feb, delivered 11th March.

Thanks. :+1:

1 Like

Oups, bad. A lot of fluid leaked ?

Nope, thankfully! Sat watching Stranger Things, or I’d be trying it out right now :slight_smile:

1 Like