@hungryhalibut - do you have Netflix?

This may be of interest:

2 Likes

Thank you for thinking of me. We don’t have Netflix but have lots of their films on DVD. My son, however, does have it, and it was he that discovered the wonders of Totoro, so I shall let him know. Thanks again.

I’ve not seen much of their output to be honest, and it was only recently I realised what your old avatar related to - I think my children might enjoy some of these when they do arrive on Netflix next month.

I thought you might already have copies of some you or the family enjoyed :slight_smile:

My Neighbour Totoro is the one we started with. The Cat Bus and the Soot Sprites are great and of course the animation is beautiful. I don’t know if it’s possible on Netflix but we much preferred the Japanese soundtrack with English subtitles than the dubbed version with American voices. You can learn some Japanese! They are very much not just children’s films and have more depth than Disney could dream of.

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations - I’m looking forward to seeing some of these myself.

Sorry, that’s just one recommendation. The Cat Bus and the Sprites are all in Totoro.

I think I’ve seen Howls Moving Castle, and maybe Spirited Away some time ago, but I may be confusing the latter with something else.

Ponyo was the one my daughter grew up watching. If you are not sure I would start with the later ones and work back. All are worth watching and several are truly magical.

1 Like

I def agree that the movies are much more enjoyable in the original Japanese, with English sub-titles.

1 Like

Spirited Away is probably my favourite film. The imagination on display is absolutely breathtaking, and the subtlety of the animation is wonderful to behold.

4 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.