Hypothetically ... if you were to choose between

And as you have written, sometimes a journey doesn’t have any full stops.

Hypothetically or otherwise it doesn’t matter. Provided speakers are right for the room it will all be good😀

552… Sell the SN2/HC for a 250DR.

This is a contrarian view but the 552 makes the most of every source. Assuming your are building a large system having the best preamp works to your advantage.

3 Likes

I agree with Chris. The preamp is the heart of a system. Nd5xs2/ 5552/ 250dr will sound much better than Nd555/ SN2/hicap.
I have also made a lot of different combinations at my dealer place for fun and think that , as the OP has already the nd5xs2, it’s better to have the most solid foundation in having the best pre/ amp combo first, and specially the pre.

1 Like

I have imposed a limit on boxes, and recently decided to go for ND555 with a Supernait 3. I may add a HiCap in the fullness of time. I had a Supernait 2 HiCapDR before and loved it, but moved to 272 and 250 so that I could have a naim streamer (without adding lots of boxes). I really enjoyed both systems but, in the end, decided that with a three box limit (ok four, if I can hide a HiCap somewhere) getting the best source possible seemed the best compromise. I’ve already waited over a month now, so I am hoping to get news of a delivery soon.
I’ve always gone for more balanced systems in the past, now I guess it’s full source first.

4 Likes

The ND555 with the the new firmware is really something.
You won’t regret it.

If you mix that combo with accurate and revealing speakers (ATC, Raidho, Magico), you’ll end up with a fine and very enjoyable system.

1 Like

If the pre-amp is the heart of the system, what is the source? The brain? Perhaps the human body is not a very good analogy for a hi fi system.

I have also (a very long time ago) done the comparison between a better source with a lesser pre-amp and a lesser source with a better pre-amp. And from that comparison, I can tell you that an olive CDX/XPS with a 102/olive Supercap sounds much better than a naked olive CDX with a 52/olive Supercap into the same power amp (olive NAP 250) and speakers (Linn Keilidh). However, I would be hesitant to extrapolate from that finding to judge the relative merits of the ND555/555 PS with SN2/HiCap DR and the ND5 XS2 with NAC 282/NAP250, as I am unfamiliar with the relative capabilities of these components.

Paul, in any way I will say that I tell the truth. It’s just my opinion, feeling, experience…
I had 112/150, 202/200, 202/200/hicap, 282/200, 282/250, 252/250, ear 912 / 250, wth sources from rega Apollo, rega Mira, cd5x, Audiomeca, Cdx2, cdx2/ xps2, nds/ 555dr.
Have heard different set up and associations and find today that the preamp is capital.
I would go without hesitation, if funds permit, to 552/250 and nd5xs2 to begin with, and not nd555/ 555dr/ SN2.

Sorry but I disagree. Any pre-amp can only portray what is offered by the source. If the OP only or mainly listens to the streamer this is where his investment should be focused.

Also don’t think you should be stating that there is a defective batch of ND555s out there. Of course there will be the occasional unit with a problem but unless you have a well researched and validated audit of the proportion of units with issues this is anecdotal at best.

2 Likes

If you had followed the thread “ Nd555 impressions” like me from the beginning, you could have read that many Nd555 were returned, because being faulty or sounding harsch or ringing.
I am not saying that a number is important, but significant.
A member here has a third Nd555.

As for preamp, you can disagree of course. It’s a forum. If you read this thread, some recommended 282/250, other Nd555/ SN2, and also 552/ 250.

Thanks Thomas.
I am excited to start that ride. Dealer says the popularity of the Supernait means a bit of a wait.
I have DeVore Fidelity speakers and SuperLumina speaker cables.
It wasn’t a hypothetical question for me, in the end.

ND555 on the Supernait2 for me. A few people use this setup and is ment to be an amazing mullet of a system!

2 Likes

10/12 only reported by this forum is for me significant. Personally I would not buy actually a second hand Nd555. Later probably.
It’s my feeling Thomas.
From what all the problems I read on the new streamers problems, I prefer to wait.
Yesterday I read a thread on one channel disappearing from Ndx2 for some members. And SN3. Some faulty switch relays .

I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy your new system.

And if I may, don’t forget that very much important detail of your hifi : the chair!

You’ll probably spend a lot of time listening to music with that lovely system :smiley:

1 Like

It’s the polar opposite of a mullet, hence why people are happy with it.

2 Likes

It’s good to see everyone have the same opinion on the topic. :wink:

Seriously, I really do appreciate everyone’s input. It’s also nice to know a couple of other naimites are looking to go down a similar road.

I’m leaning 80% towards the ND555 with my SN2/HiCap (partly because the mullet analogy appeals to this Essex boy who grew up in the 80s!). But will probably end up in the next year or two going the whole hog and replacing the SN2 with a 282/250. But part of my impetus is a decent deal on the ND555 presenting currently itself to me

If I pull the trigger will let folks know my findings… although Im sure they’ll be a bit colored after spending that much coin. And definitely curious on how @Monkey_Jim finds the set up.

If you’re getting a good deal and all is ok I’d just go for it, sometimes the more you read these posts the more confusing it gets. Either direction you go you’ve got a great system. Good luck.

1 Like

I will NEVER own a ND555. It’s Twenty Thousand Dollars. add in the Ten Thousand Dollar power supply; them the cables. So over $30K just for the streamer/Dac… I’m shocked how many Millionaires are on this forum. Think I’ll just shuffle on. Crazy

2 Likes

It does beg the question as to how much better is it from the NDX2/XPS DR, at half the price?

1 Like

That’s the spirit!