Hypothetically...ND555 or NAC552?

That’s gotta affect your lad’s pocket money, surely?

He’ll learn. :wink:

6 Likes

If I were in your shoes, instead of upgrading the electronics I would change the speakers which will make the largest sonic difference. The ProAc K1 are exceptional monitors if you like the brand.

Again, I am aware that I am not answering your hypothetical question but after all what is our primary goal, to improve the sound of our system in the most meaningful way or just climb the NAIM ladder?

4 Likes

Interested in seeing how far the Tab 10 Sigs can go especially with the ND555 / 552 up them

1 Like

Thanks. No ‘just’ here Haim. Experience has taught me that usually always ‘source first’ but in this case perhaps the pre. Tbh I think I will focus toward the ND555 if I fancy a move up the ladder, then the 552.

I’m besotted with the Tab 10 Sig which fit our living space perfectly. They clearly revealed the change from XPSDR to 555PSDR on the NDX2, and the change from 282 to 252 so I’ve no concerns there.

G

1 Like

Oh well I tried, I thought the same with my SBL’s for many years and true they did improve with any change I made but…

If I was in your shoes I would stick with what I got and buy more music unless of course you get a unbeatable deal on a 552!

Thanks Andy. The money wouldn’t really be an issue if I can source a ‘pre-loved’ (boom-boom).

As I stream Qobuz and have an extensive library on my NAS the buying of new music is not such an issue.

No pockets in a shroud and all that.

G

It’s a more difficult question if your only source is a streamer. If you have anything else 552 all day long. No, I will come off the fence. 552.

1 Like

Well with everyone moving to Statements then their must be lot’s of 552’s coming on the market.

Must be lock down as a lot of forum numbers haven’t been able to go out and spend!

1 Like

Perhaps on an emotional level this is a tad more helpful. I had a 252 Supercap and I was very happy. Moreover, there was no way I was paying that sort of money for a preamp, did they think I was stupid?

Then I had an issue with the 252 and the crafty dealer ‘lent’ me a 552 whilst it was sorted. I didn’t crack there and then but once you have heard it the 552 is an itch you can’t avoid scratching I’m afraid. I knew one day I would get one and I did. The ND555 is a great piece of kit but, at least in my opinion, it is not the game changing upgrade a 552 is.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks.

Were both ‘DR’ versions?

G

The first 552 I heard was not DR. The one I finally bought is so my current front end is ND555 with DR power supplies and 552DR.

If circumstances made me downgrade anything in my system the 552 would absolutely not be my first choice.

Still I do have a turntable source and that would impact it.

1 Like

Maybe neither ND555 or NAC552 but isn’t a 300DR worth a demo?

I know it’s not what you’re asking but it is the ‘natural’ partner for the 252. Maybe you’ve already tried it and it didn’t work out for you but at least you’d have a more balanced (on paper) system.

Introduce one 500 series into what you have and it’ll only lead to questions about the rest of the system. It’s what happened to me when I replaced my 252 with a 552.

It’s a slippery slope…

Cheers, Rack.

:+1:t5:

5 Likes

You may gain something more musical and less expensive… by upgrading the weakest link in your system?

In my view the weakest link in a Naim system that has a 250DR is the DIN/XLR cable.

I can see you have the Morgana… but you should try a real Naim Superlumina

How about a Fraim before exploring the 555 range

I don’t know to what kind of music you are listening to that you are finding your current set-up lacking.

My guess is that two things will happen with your upgrading. You will hear more into the music and the limitations of the speakers will be more noticeable. You will be the judge.

People on the forum are so enamoured with their NAIM boxes that in many cases they end up with unbalanced systems. I know that price is not the only indicator but if you make your two upgrades you will be end up with a super expensive system while spending less than 5% of the cost on your speakers, something to think about.

Good luck with your decisions.

Haim

1 Like

You have a very balanced system, only a 300 would seem logical to keep in balanced at the classic level. Once a 500 enters the change, the inevitable urge to go full 500 and change speakers as well enters the vortex. At the end of the day, decide where do you want to end up and why? What’s lacking with the system you have?

2 Likes

My 552/500 is 20 years old but serviced about 4 years ago and not DRed. I’m not in any rush to DR because it sounds wonderful. The speed is fast fast fast and bass is wonderful. So if you get the opportunity don’t worry about the DR.

Phil

3 Likes

I have never found tipping the balance in favour of the source or pre amp was a problem, and gave me the best bang for my buck as I upgraded towards a more, so called, balanced system.

To upgrade from one balanced sytem to another costs a lot of money, especially as you move into 500 territory, so most of us mortals have to do it in stages. I would always say start with source or pre amp, because some imbalance here is less problematic.

Other opinions are of course available.

7 Likes

Yes, I would agree with source and preamp changes if moving up the range, it is knowing what the end point is, is the challenge :flushed:

1 Like

Agreed, but with me, and many on here I suspect, the ‘end point’ tends to…err…evolve over time. :wink:

4 Likes