"I cannot afford a NDX2, so now what?"

Streaming to me is as at least as much about software (including the availabilty of source material via a streaming service) as the hardware. Given your choice I’d be looking towards the ND5 XS2. I have an NDX2 but I don’t think anyone actually looks at the display on the NDX2, so you’re not missing out there. And you get the same digital streaming platform on the ND5 XS2 (including Qobuz support). Although obviously the analogue portion may be a bit less on the ND5 XS2 than the NDX2, I don’t think you’ll be in any way disappointed. After all there’s always a more expensive component unless you go really high end. I decided against the ND555 simply because I don’t think the development of streamers will stay still for too long. And I’m happy with where I’m sat in the "hierarchy ".

4 Likes

Hi, @gthack.

With your Nait XS3 amp, it would be hard for me to recommend a non-Naim streamer, as I find system automation provided to the amp a feature I cannot forgo. My NDX-FM even lets me control my CD555 from the Naim app.

FM matters to fewer and fewer these days; but if it matters to you, I can attest the optional FM module in the NDX is very good and the most convenient way to arrange favorite FM and digital stations together for easy selection using the Naim app. (FM retrofit has never been available, to my knowledge.)

With or without FM, the NDX is very flexible. Add a PS and/or DAC at your option, later.

I have not compared the NDX to a ND5XS2, bare. Could be a fair fight. Others will have to say. Functional trade offs, either way.

Best of luck.

Nick

2 Likes

Have you missed anything you ask? Have a look at Auralic maybe?

2 Likes

Good idea. Very pleased with my Altair G1.
You do need an iPad though for the lightning DS App

Innuos

1 Like

Why not feed the Node into the Hugo?

1 Like

Writing from the cheap seats, my naim dac and naim amp make beautiful music with the ifi zen streamer

2 Likes

+1 on the automation bit. Am currently being driven slightly mad by a non-working link between ND5 XS2 and NAC 282.

I’ve got two Yamaha Wxad10’s, one in each system. Stunning value for money and don’t feel short changed on SQ front, I’m not saying there isn’t more to be had, but quite ridiculous how good they sound.

Burr Brown Dacs I believe.

2 Likes

I do. :smiley:

Ha Ha. Mine’s completely out of sight, and I only interact with it via the app.

Exactly! Same experience.

1 Like

Even dare I say it, sounds a bit Naimy, presentation style is very similar to my CdX2-2.

Could take it and put it in a expensive looking casing with a brick in it and charge 10x as much.

My current setup is NP5 into Hugo, functionally the same as a Node into Hugo, but the NP5 is purely a transport. What I have right now sounds very good indeed, hence a bit of nervousness auditioning for the next step. I would be happy with the current SQ plus a bit of convenience. The Hugo isn’t left permanently on, or plugged into its PS, so is a bit of a pain to use and occasionally charge. The NP5 switches on via app, the Hugo with a small switch, the volume then needs adjusting, and then I use either BubbleUPnP or the Primare app to play music. My UQ1 just fires straight up from BubbleUPnP, it is mainly the two boxes that is driving me to think about changing.

2 Likes

Ah understood, that does sound less than convenient! I have a Node 2i which, using its trigger output, turns my DAC on. I feed my CD transport into the Node and thus everything is controlled from BluOS and I have remote volume for all digital sources. The DAC, in turn, feeds my NAC72.

1 Like

For most of us, the cost of this hobby of course does matter. Last year I also had to choose a streamer/dac, in my case to replace my n272. I auditioned an NDX for a month or so, after that the ND5XS2. I ended up with the ND5XS2.

I did find the (bare) NDX far better than the ND5XS2 sonically. Rounder vs edgier being the simplest of descriptions. The modern functionality tipped the scale to buying the ND5XS2 for me at the time, as that was what I found lacking with the N272.

However: currently my best source to listen to is my turntable. My go to for sound stage, round, analog enjoyment.

I still think, as I thought I would know then, my future upgrades will be a NDX2 and a PS. But as my prime source for active listening sessions is the turntable, I am in no big hurry. I also read earlier in this thread a comment that when one item is perceived as being better sounding, the lesser is not immediately of poor quality and not to be enjoyed. I agree. The ND5XS2 is well priced, operates very nicely and sounds very good. Good enough? Well, for me for now! But having had the NDX in the house for some time, looking back as I can still vividly remember the sounds I compared, I would have also been very happy with the sound of that, costing less pre owned and yes, having older functionality.

So, if money is such a dominant factor I would opt for the NDX.

3 Likes

NDX2s are great… To be honest it’s the only streamer I’ve had and it just works bang on every time. Never a connection issue and with Qobuz it’s just perfect…
It sounded great on its own… the xps was an uplift but no where near worth the money…
I had to save hard for all my stuff but some things are just worth it… Get an NDX2 (any lesser and you’d just always be thinking about the upgrade) and shop around for a pre loved 555ps… (good deals do come up occasionally)

When paired with the 555ps the difference is staggering… It makes me smile every time!!

3 Likes

Slightly unrelated, there are a lot of positive notes about the nDac. I do have an ND5 XS2 streamer. It sounds like an ideal combination, I was the same, really wanted the NDX2 but could not afford it. I wonder why Naim stopped making the nDac? Wonder if they will come out with a similar product. They don’t seem to last long second hand.

2 Likes

I thought i was too. But i read steve huff review of atom with bowers 705 s2 and i bought the atom. My revel m22s they never sounded so good with my linn and meridian combo. So i took a chance and got the 705s and all i can say is i love it. It just works. And when i want loud loud i use the pre outs and hook up my meridian amp. It is not as resolving but it plays louder, the naim is excellent up to 8/10ths. Its an excellent system for about 6500 u$. I have not listened to so much music in a long time.

4 Likes

I was comparing by auditioning this small brick against Node, CXNv2, and some Elac. If there was a diffrence in SQ, I totally missed it. My dealer, who was experienced in auditinion, didnt manage to describe the difference and was unable to detect which was playing.
What I have found after I bought the nd5xs2 is that WXAD has a bit flatter stage, a bit higher noise level, and there is less air, less transparency in the sound it creates. And the sound is indeed a bit warm, Naimy.