I Love The NAIM Uniti Star - But I Have Questions

One more question Robert. Do you know when the NAIM is getting its signal through Chromecast from the iMac as my situation dictates, am I getting the full quality FLAC or whatever file from Tidal or is it better when going through Roon? I never thought of even considering questions like these…learning on the fly, slowly.

You can set an additional backup eg once a week to google drive if you want, so there is always a cloud based backup available from which you can restore. But yes the files can be moved to another disc and used to restore.

Chromecast can support high res, at least up to 96 without issue, so in practice it makes no odds chromecast vs roon. The roon experience though is its “usp” and one to which I am willing to subscribe, plus if you have multiple systems it’s a doddle to stream your music all around the house… with people in different rooms listening to different things. Not that there aren’t other solutions, but right now I’m happy to stick with roon.

FYI Roon is a little over £90 a year.

2 Likes

Yes, mine recently renewed for just under £90. I run it on an old Mac Mini with High Sierra currently.

Generally it ‘just works’ pretty well.

The one thing I dislike with Chromecast without lots of faffing around is that gapless playback has long been an issue and I’ve only had mixed success with various solutions to that but for classical/prog rock etc gapless is pretty important and I’ve resorted to Airplay at times when higher quality Chromecasting can’t do gapless.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.