I need a 2nd Streamer - Any ideas please

Yes I think I saw Darko talking about those in one of his videos.

I am using the Sotm sms-200ultra NEO (feeding a hugo2 while I wait for the mythical naim 372). This would be within the price range (second hand) and can be upgraded with a better power supply when you bring it home from office and use it as a second home system

I used an original UQ for a while and thoroughly endorse this recommendation. TBH Iā€™m sorry I didnā€™t keep it.

Another option isChord 2go, but only if your DAC is Hugo 2, otherwise you need 2yu add-on and it gets expensive.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used both the UnitiCute2 and Uniti2, both are great streamers and a bargain second hand for their performance.

1 Like

actually the RPI option is pretty good provided one uses the right software

I found roon expensive at 500 dollars and now even more at new price.

I would rather buy an NP5 for tidal integrationā€¦ I have no use at all for roon anyway. all I need is tidal, I donā€™t use a NAS anyway.

for tidal integration the google chrome cast audio is also a good solution and fraction the price of everything else mentioned in this thread.

Donā€™t know which DAC you will be using alongside a new streamer. However, if the DAC is decent quality, I would go along with the suggestion of a second hand Sonore ultraRendu mentioned above, or if you would like to save some money a 2nd hand Sonore microRendu - but bear in mind that they will both need a power supply. A cheap iFi power supply that is often bundled with the Rendu products will be the best value for money option.

I found that the microRendu into my Chord Hugo DAC (that I used to have in my second system) sounded a bit better than an ND5XS (Mark 1) as a transport into the same DAC.

Using bubbleupnp and a microRendu, you will be able to use Kazoo but not the Naim app, and access to Tidal will also be available.

I have just read this earlier post of yours, and so perhaps the Sonore Rendus are not really the best choice for you after all. They are all small units, donā€™t have any buttons (just an ethernet input and a USB output. They are maintained via a web page on your PC, much I suspect as with the Rpi. Itā€™s operating system also comes on a micro SD card, but if you buy the Rendu second hand the operating system will already have been installed and ready to use.

However, I would add that the Sonore software just simply works, although it may be a little (not very) fiddly to set it up initially. After that, it just works flawlessly, easily copes with hi-res and DSD files, and will almost certainly sound a bit better than the Rpi if your DAC is decent.

It also works flawlessly and very easily as a Roon endpoint, and of course If you use Roon, then I would obviously suggest that you use the Roon front end control software rather than Kazoo. Kazoo is pretty good, but just not as good as Roon. I havenā€™t found anything else that is.

Interesting ideas, thank you all. An old style Uniti unit would work, but I have a hankering for something different, more modern, if only to try something else! I have heard of the Rendu devices but have been put off by the ā€˜anonymous box lookā€™. Iā€™ll follow up on the Rendu and see what youtube shows as suitable interfaces.

I am unlikely to go with roon right now and I am quite content with basic but reliable interfaces such as ā€˜Kazooā€™.

Agreed, I have one, but it is tempremental. I went back to my Mac mini as I much prefer JRiverā€™s interface and features to whatā€™s available on the microRendu.

That said, once itā€™s working it sounds very good, but OP is not happy with SD cards.

@Roog please forget my suggestion of Chordā€™s 2go as that is SD card based too.

So Iā€™d go for a second hand UQ.

Which version of the microRendu software are you running? I too originally found the microRendu to be temperamental, losing connection with my network occasionally for no apparent reason and regularly requiring a re-boot.

However, since I upgraded to version 2.7 I have had no problems whatsoever. Itā€™s absolutely rock solid now. I havenā€™t had to reboot the unit for well over a year.

Think Iā€™m still on 2.4, but not used it for a while.
The problems you describe are exactly what I had.
Iā€™ll give it another go later.

I have a couple of raspberry pi units, both running raspbian buster and with roon bridge installed. They are fit and forget, they stay on 24/7 and just work, and I donā€™t need to fiddle with them. You can buy a ā€œnoobsā€ memory card (or make one) which makes raspbian easy to install, and adding roon bridge is also easy via the command line (you can copy/paste from the roon site).
I wonder if your card corruption is a result of a bad choice of sd card? I tend to stick with sandisk. You can always clone the card once itā€™s setup so you can just swap in a new one if needed.

1 Like

V2.7 fixed quite a few stability issues. V2.8 card is now available.

Actually ā€˜TMā€™ you have reminded me of the 2Go-2Yu solution, I spotted it at the Bristol show back in February, nice but quite pricey for a second system.

ā€˜Thinksā€™ I wonder how it would work as a replacement for the SU streamer?

Do you use the SuperUniti as transport into your TT2 and then straight into your 300DR? If so, have you compared this set-up to a Naim pre-amp in between?

Apologies for the ā€œdiversionā€, but I am curious about your experience with the TT2. I am wondering whether I should go that way too, though I am only having the humble 250DRā€¦

To contribute to the streamer discussion, have you looked into the SOTM 200 Neo (the ā€œregularā€ version)? Ed Selley wrote a very favourable review on the AV Forum a while ago, and I know that he bought a unit for himself after the review (to feed his Chord DACā€¦). One downside though, itā€™s the wrong colour. For the right colour, you have to go Ultra ā€“ the SOTM mentioned by @Mrpseudonym.

Hi ā€˜Naim The Dragonā€™, I donā€™t actually own a Hugo TT2, I do however have a vintage Heybrook TT2 turntable which is a completely different kettle of bananas! However, last year I did borrow an NDX2 and a Hugo TT2 DAC with the latter acting as DAC and pre amp directly into my NAP300DR. The idea being to avoid the need to get a NAC 282+smaller PSU+slightly larger PSU!

As I expected the Hugo TT2 has no problem driving the NAP300DR, however i felt it lacked something that the SU, also acting as a source/DAC/pre gave. So, based on my limited experience I could not recommend a Hugo TT2 as a DAC/ pre feeding a Naim power amp.

I continue to run my 300DR from my SU acting as source/DAC/pre. It sounds ā€˜Naimyā€™ to me but perhaps isnā€™t the last word in refinement.

I will continue my search for an alternative preamp when funds and energy allow, I may consider NAC N272 as the prices seem to be getting more attractive.

As for ā€˜humblingā€™ the NAP 250DR I wouldnā€™t, I tried the 250DR and liked it, but when it came to buy, (used) I got greedy and went for a NAP 300 which i later had serviced and DRed. They sound pretty much the same to me, i guess it depends on your speaker load, maybe the 300 works better with tougher loads, i donā€™t know.

LOL ā€” apparently I am quite a waste of space today. I should have read more carefully, rather than just focussing on ā€œTT2ā€ā€¦

What did you feel was missing when using Chordā€™s TT2? As an interim measure I am using a Hugo 2 into the 250DR ā€” needed to save up before making the next big purchaseā€¦ It sounds good, but I feel it lacks a bit of ā€forwardnessā€™, if that makes sense. The music feels slightly ā€œrecessedā€œ. Not sure whether I am describing it wellā€¦

Cheers!

P.S. I remember your early 300 Non-DR ā€œdramaā€ ā€” glad it worked out after DRā€™ing the amp. Or am I getting history wrong? I hope itā€™s not a second embarrassment todayā€¦ LOL

Goodness well remembered! I had the usual reasons for the bloated bass, and rolled off highs, the most popular one being ā€˜Mulletā€™, and yet a service and possibly the DR pretty well fixed it.

The longer I stay In this game the more I resist trying to describe what I hear. My impression of the TT2 acting in place of a preamp very much matched yours with the Hugo 2. I liked it with classical, uncoloured, very controlled, and yet, it seemed to lack dynamics with rock music. This doesnā€™t make much sense to me.

I look forward to finding a one box solution to bolt onto my 300.

Another vote for a Unitiqute 2.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.