I need to get a new car

Do you have these over there?

4 Likes

Golf R is off the table. Eff’ing dealers are marking them up over MSRP.

Opus:
Another suggestion is the Volvo v60 wagon. A friend just bought one to replace his GTi. So far he really likes it.

1 Like

The V60 is available in two different models. The Cross Country is the SUV -ish one. It has a whopping 247 hp, it’s slow. About $50k base price. The other is the V60 Recharge. Its base price is about $70k …out of my budget. But it does have 455 hp

What I’d really like is an A4 Avant (wagon) but Audi doesn’t import it anymore.!

What about a SkodaOctavia Combi then? It’s the same for half the price.

There is an interesting perspective here in dismissing cars as ‘slow’. My first car was one of theses (same colour) and by the standard set by the Ford ‘Pop’ no modern cars are ‘slow’!

(Photo by Riley from Christchurch, New Zealand; Wikipedia Creative Commons)

1955 Ford Popular (13027999655).jpg

6 Likes

Funny Fellow :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Why? I don’t want a car that’s slower and less fun to drive than my current Audi. Maybe what I want is beyond my budget. Or rather I’d like to be able to still afford other things, like audio stuff.

You’ve driven them both to come to this conclusion?

I love my Subaru Outback. It’s really the best car I’ve ever had for all-round duties. I miss driving the '05 M3 I had, but if my Outback went missing for any reason I’d replace it with another Outback (I would get the XT version. I have a '18 3.6R).

1 Like

I have a BMW 330e now and it is very pleasant to drive but I have to say that there is little ‘fun’ in driving in the UK now - the roads are packed and fast moving and one needs to be constantly alert to poor and impatient driving. Maybe driving in the US is a different experience.

1 Like

Have a look at the Audi A7. It has a huge boot, even if the height is compromised by the Sportback lines. Silky sleek AWD and quick.

1 Like

Your in the USA.,…which means you have access to something we don’t in the EU

Ford F350🙂

3 Likes

And expensive!

I’m a cyclist. I really hate pickup trucks. They are evil.

4 Likes

I agree.

1 Like

It’s not that slow. 7.1s 0-60 is still pretty respectable.
I’m biased - I have an XC90 - but the V60 looks fantastic and the interior is outstanding.

I wouldn’t be without the optional B&W stereo upgrade though. It’s an expensive but essential and completely worthwhile addition.

Subaru - now historically that’s slow (unless you plump for the 3.6l engine). I’ve had a number of Subarus over the years and loved them up until the CVT transmission. The latest Outback has a turbo option which is better. They’re not great on fuel but they are brilliant lifestyle vehicles.

Don’t dismiss the Skoda Octavia - it’s the same as a Golf. The sport edition is pretty slick.

I’d still go for a V60 over anything else though.

True. Badge engineering - modern style. :slightly_smiling_face:

If 4 wheel drive/driving in winter conditions is a factor, I would recommend avoiding BMW, and sticking to Audi/other 4WD systems. In my experience the BMW Xdrive system is poor, and not a patch on Quattro.