I radio continuous drop outs

@Diver99 it would be interesting to learn of your progress to resolving your drop outs.

Still running on the power line. No drop outs over the last week. I also have the sky box on a time switch so it shuts down at the times I use the alarm with iradio, but I didnā€™t have drop outs for a few days with sky on as well.
Iā€™ll give it a few more days with power line and sky off, then put the sky box back on and keep the power line as Ethernet feed

Failed this morning. Sky Q box powered down, Ethernet over Powerline in place. Around 6-30 am uk alarm posted, light came on but iradio stuck at connecting, room was present in the app. The knob was pulsing. BBC radio 4 HD. Luckily I was already awake.
Tried another channel RTL Chill) which stuck at 0%.
After about 10 mins audio finally appeared.

Not particularly reliable as a bedside alarm.
My internet was fine. I was reading on line news through all of this while waiting for audio

Did you restart your router after powering down the sky box? Appreciate this all very frustrating.
Unless you have faulty unit, which doesnā€™t yet appear to have been proved, just because you have ā€œinternet was fineā€, that is likely not to be the case. Unless you know how to interpret the activities of your router, just because something else works, donā€™t mean the router is doing everything requested. It is that requesting aspect, that may well see your Qb not getting the response it needs. Powerlines are at best, avoided. Hard wired internet is one option or WAPs, which would be wired directly back to the router. This option may exists for your Orbi kit. Almost every house can have a few cable runs installed, either diy or a professional sparky, who will be well used to routing cables the easiest way, not necessarily the shortest.

I believe it was suggested previously, but switching off your sky box, restarting your router and connecting your Qb, at least for a test, hard wired to the router, will reveal what is happening. If the Qb is not playing overnight, then if the router is dropping the connection via mesh or p-lines, when the Qb awakes, it isnā€™t connected to the router and its requests are not being answered.
Using a tablet or similar to read on line, will either have already been connected or will have requested and been granted a connection. Without tracking the connection history on your router, regrettably nothing is proved.

This very subject was covered at length, long ago in the old forum. If a network is not robust, issues do arise. Wifi on both streamers and consumer units has improved over the years, bt it is not full proof. Environment, neighbours and kit can all adversely affect reliable operation. The reliable solution suggested by a Naim staffer was back hauled Ubiquiti WAPs, which have more functionality than many a mesh system. While mesh is plug and play it is a compromise and problems are reported from time to time, here on the forum. Orbi works on single channel for all connected satellites iiuc, the Ubiquiti for example, uses different channels, so while they all do much the same, implementation is different.
Hope that helps, any questions, will try an answer.

Hard wiring is unfortunately not an option. The bedroom was remodelled not long ago, repainted and new units fitted. Drilling holes and running cables is definitely not acceptable to the wife.
The drop outs vary in nature. Sometimes there is no sound when the Qb wakes up on alarm but at least as often it plays for maybe 30 minutes (not exact and very variable) then drops out and sometimes loses stream, room still there, other times loses room and I have to power cycle the Qb to get it to find the room again. Absolutely nothing in the house sees any disruption to network at this time.
I can only conclude there is some instability in holding to room active in the app or Qb itself.
Yes, the router has been rebooted since I started all this but itā€™s not practical to reboot after the skyQ box is power cycled as that happens every morning 2am to 9 am on a time switch.

I think it is Powerline ethernet for you, then you can hard-wire.

Yep, I think thatā€™s the closest I can get to ethernet

1 Like

Well, Iā€™ve concluded for me at least the legacy units may not be well served by the latest Naim app. Qb dropped out of rooms again this morning (definitely not SkyQ, it was fully powered off) and power cycle brought it back again. Also my NDS disappeared from rooms yesterday and it is only connected by a 1m Ethernet link to the Melco server. The Melco was still on the system (I could see it and its files from my PC) but the NDS refused to reconnect to it even after removing and reconnecting its Ethernet cable. Only reconnected and appeared as a room after going into NDS settings, interrogating network setting (not changing anything) then exit settings and the NDS found the Melco server and reappeared in rooms.
So, doesnā€™t seem to be my router or skyQ or Wi-Fi (NDS is entirely Ethernet (router, EE switch, Melco, NDS).

Seems I have to live with flakey app/Naim network firmware? and rooms disappearing

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.