I should go out more...?

Over the weekend, I decided to replace a non-descript 4-way mains block that powered our TV + accessories with a spare 6-way Wireworld one that I had lying around – we needed the extra outlets.

When I was listening to my system on Sunday, I noticed that it was sounding quite noticeably better!!! My system is on a dedicated CU quite separate from the one that feeds the rest of the house, including the TV block. So, of course, the change in SQ cant be anything to do with this change. That’s what the critical part of me is saying. But there is another somewhat softer and irrational part that’s whispering – maybe?

Perhaps I now need to attend one of those group therapy sessions where you start by saying “My name is Ken and I am a ….” :slight_smile:

enjoy/ken

1 Like

I honk Richard Dane has said that having any switched block anywhere on the mains in a property will affect the sound of your audio, so it’s not unexpected that you have experienced this

Though that might be separate from the notion that you should get out more :blush:

1 Like

phew! if you are right, then what a relief!!! so may be I might not need to have a therapy session or worry about “getting out more” – to breathe in all that polluted air!.. :slight_smile:
enjoy/ken

1 Like

Ken, you can rest easy. I also experienced a similar thing. i used a cheap block to extend the mains for my laptop as I was using it in the music room and needed to charge the battery. With the block connected, the system became dull and sounded like the stylus had worn badly. Removing the block restored the sound.

1 Like

It would seem you are all to far away to meet for a good therapy session😉

Chaps - i take it these blocks are either defective (loose connection inside causing micro arcing and chucking a load of rubbish back into the mains) or have some sort of filtering components in them.

If not, then i’m buggered if i can understand why just plugging in a mains extension block not inline with the Hi-Fi causes issues…

I don’t believe the mains block I replaced was defective – but this is based on the fact it worked perfectly well powering the TV components – and not on any scientific ‘measurement’. My main system sounding better after the replacement is also not ‘scientific’ I just experienced it – there was no ‘expectation bias’ as I had to ask myself ‘wow, what have I changed?’ when I noticed the better SQ.

Hence my puzzlement… i.e., I don’t understand it either – but it doesn’t seem to be an isolated experience…

enjoy/ken

There’s a thread here where people are discussing the use of power blocks. Are these the same a mains block? Some seem to think they improve sonics.

damn!! :slight_smile:
enjoy/ken

The block I used was one with a light and also had a basic surge protector in it.

Well that makes more sense.

Is it a Wireworld Matrix 2 which brought the unexpected improvement?

yes…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.