I wonder if I have been a Wally with Vinyl LP12 TT?

The one who is a Wally is not you but me. Tinkering around with Superline into LP12 today and thinking the sound is off/lacking top end I was in the process of checking feet levelling and noticed the 453R airplug was plugged into the capacitive input. The morale of the tale - never rule out human error when assembling these things. :roll_eyes:

Nice Easter present upgrade anyway. Enjoy your LP12 !

1 Like

What cartridge takes a 253Ω load?

1 Like

Hi @Gigantor. We added a turntable and I re-created some of the vinyl collection from my youth starting a few years ago. Before that it was an all-digital source here.

Setting a limit on the size of a record collection (or one’s partner setting the limit) makes a lot of sense to me. I had a lovely record rack built and this provides a hard limit on the size of my record collection. And honestly I have everything I really loved from my youth, plus some really great jazz records, and thus I don’t see the collection growing much at all going forward.

As others have said, adding a good online streaming capability is wonderful. I spent almost 10 years curating an 1800-album collection on my home server. But most of that is now available on Qobuz and I’m very happy with the sound of Qobuz cd-quality and hi-res files streamed. My home server is largely redundant, but it takes up no space and it runs Roon and I’ll keep it and keep its backups “just in case.”

Like us you may find a lot of listening joy with the combination of a GOOD turntable and a GOOD streamer player.

1 Like

253? I don’t know.

453? Dynavector moving coil cartridges.

This applies to Naim Superline, not necessarily any other phono stage.

Meant 453R - matching Dynavector MC.

I thought it might have been a typo, a 253Ω plug would maker a dynavector sound a bit off I think, on a superline tat is.

I’m with you. Much preferred the previous Jelco version.

1 Like

The Akurate LP12 has had several targetted upgrades since its invention and Linn’s shift away from promoting Source First theory (Akito 3, Krystal, Kore, Lingo 4, etc.), so its been carefully developed as a product in itself. Less work of this nature has gone into the Majik LP12.

2 Likes

Here’s what ~200 lps looks like:

10 Likes

Thank you, my Dear Forum friends,

Yes, I am lucky to own this Linn TT and am always appreciating it every day when I have the opportunity to listen to it. My vinyl collection is not large, possibly 50 LPs and I have far more CDs. My wife is rightly so concerned about finances and over the last couple of years since owning the Linn I have possibly been purchasing an album a week or so. Acquiring music on vinyl from my youth and what makes me happy.

I think I will now only purchase an album for special days, Birthdays, and the like. I forgot that the Majik did not have the ability to play 45s at my beck and call and I have yet to play my Dire Straits albums which are both 45 and 33.3.

Second-guessing is over and I will kick back to listen to some music every time Shelley takes the dogs for a walk.

Thank you everyone for your time and input.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

1 Like

After a couple of years, you’ll have forgotten the cost of the LP12 but will still be enjoying your records.

And you can always buy a used streamer.

2 Likes

Black Fraim just works!

1 Like

G’day Folks,

After an LP stocktake, there are 115 individual albums plus a few box sets of four albums. That is my collection and does not include my wife’s. I may try and count hers later on.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Now listen up Mitch

Keep the LP12 forever the SQ is the best

Think about streaming / I’m in the same situation as you are having the cd5xs

Time will come and it will konk out

But really no hurry until it happens

Enjoy our music mate

2 Likes

Mitch if they are stored in an orderly way hopefully they can be accomodated. My wife found her childhood Beatles albums and being able to listen to them again is what spurred our journey back to getting a turntable.

2 Likes

Wow Bart. What condition are they in i wonder. My late mother had alot of the original Parlophone releases and sadly they were not in a good condition.

Hi Mitch,
I have alot more LPs (close to 1000) but must confess I don’t listen to my LP12 that much. Maybe once a week for a serious listen. Since I bought an iPad and an Auralic Altair G1 with onboard 2TB SSD (which I chose over a Linn Akurate DSM with katalyst DACs), I have ripped half of my CD collection and find the convenience and sound quality so good that this is my best access to my music collection. I also have a CDS3 which i use from time to time for CDs that I have not ripped.
I am not familiar with the Naim streamers. I wanted to avoid the extra power supplies saga to improve performances. Also cost was a deciding factor as well where I find both Linn and Naim are becoming more and more inaccessible.

1 Like

They were in good, not great, condition. I’ve since then acquired most of the UK first pressings, from a very good vendor in the UK who’s happy to ship to the States.

1 Like

These days I don’t buy new vinyl. I bought a few from speakers corner about 15 years ago and was not impressed. I would be interested to learn where to obtain decent quality new vinyl. There are a few threads on this forum which will be a good start i guess.

If there’s something I covet still, it is an LP12 and I regularly follow the ‘show us your sondek’ thread, just to see these great machines. I’m not a daily user of a record player, but with an LP12 I might be, and my doctor would be supportive of me getting up every 20-25 minutes to change sides/albums and not just sitting there all evening! There is something about the theatre of the record, as much as the sound, that resonates with me and brings me more emotion and memories to the experience. Coupled with that, the LP12 itself is such a pleasure to touch and use. Being in that 50+ bracket I’m also worried about getting stuck in my own genres and bands, and the ‘what are you listening to…’ thread on here provides a huge range of suggestions. I will stream to begin with, but if I really like it, then I’ll get it on CD or vinyl. I’m also keen on the idea of giving a new home to preloved vinyl (and CD).

8 Likes