Idiot Prayer

I struggled with Ghosteen too. Bought it, played it and didnt come back to it for weeks.

But it’s an album that’s really worth the effort.

Try abbatoir blues on cd or streaming. It’s the album that first got me into nick cave.

2 Likes

I’ve got both the best of and lonely creatures compilations and didn’t enjoy either of them. I think Nick Cave’s work is best suited to complete albums.

2 Likes

I agree with you. I listened to both after the full albums so had context and never experienced them by themselves. But was thinking for those who want a dive into Cave history it could give a nice overview.

As for Ghosteen I fully agree. I mean it is a conclusion of grief started with Skeleton Tree. The two exists as a pair and I think Ghosteen does not makes complete sense without Skeleton Tree. For me they are not representative of the rest of his works.

His version here of Mercy Seat - originally from Tender Prey - completely caught me by surprise. Superb!

1 Like

It feels like Nick Cave’s newer versions of mercy seat are a cover of Johnny cash’s version.

I’m not complaining though!

1 Like

Nick’s version is a lot more profound, after all he wrote the original song. But I agree that the man in black’s is a good version too.

Cynical is a big word… Don’t think he’s trying to monetise his boy’s death or anything…

2 Likes

I’ve been listening to Cave since The Good Son album. My favourite ones arę Henry’s Dream and Let Love In and Dig Lazarus. As all his records some kind of concept albums.
From the new recordings - Push the Sky Away.
And his albums are rather good sounding.

Just started listening to Idiot Prayer and I think it’s the only album I’ve ever heard that would encourage me to shoot myself if I had to listen to it more than once.

No offence intended but bloody hell…

3 Likes

I suppose it’s not for everyone. At least you gave it a go!

2 Likes

What? You don’t like Uncle Nick’s upbeat ditties? You should really try his album No More Shall We Part then :laughing:

1 Like

Two words made for each other. :unamused::roll_eyes:

Maybe it’s a ‘grower’. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.