Idle Sunday thoughts on CB kit

Yes, that would definitely work - rather well…! Almost what I had - but with a 42.5, not a 62.

Yes, should work fine.
IIRC, the late Malcolm Steward (reviewer, and long-term Naim user) used a 62 rather than 32.5, as he didn’t find much difference between them, but didn’t require the extra facilities of the 32.5

1 Like

Good point re facilities.

I will want a phono stage input and a dac (phono output) input, both normal phono to din cables presumably?

For Phono, I would use internal 3 series Phono boards, so direct connection (with ideally BNC equipped tonearm cable, or (horror of horrors!) RCA to BNC adaptors, if you cannot get the cable re-terminated with BNC). If an external Phono stage is used, with RCA outputs, then RCA to DIN interconnect.

For line level source (with RCA output), I would use RCA to DIN interconnect.

2 Likes

I now have a list to last me until Christmas.

Santa where are you?

1 Like

Exactly. Either 322 ‘N’ type or 323 ‘S’ or ‘K’ type.

1 Like

The internal boards are very good, IMO; often, and wrongly IMO, overlooked these days, with the fashion for external stages.

1 Like

Not forgetting 323E, the lower sensitivity variant, usually for medium output MC.

I’m doomed then. My 110 is 71xx. The service by Darran (Class A) in 2015 must have been poor. What to do?

Why? Was there a difference internally with a pre 7500 110 than a post one? My 110 has external speaker connections (protrude from the back of the case) which were internalised in later models.

Yes, I considered adding that, but I wasn’t sure I remembered correctly…

I think the logic is ‘N’ for Normal, ‘S’ for Supex, ‘K’ for Karma and ‘E’ for… ??

I’ve not heard this before at the factory. Can you elaborate?

1 Like

It’s an approximate rule of thumb as I understand it.

I will ask them for concrete details. I think I remember why I was told ~7,500 as a rough rule of thumb but don’t want to put words in their mouth.

Chris can post it on here if he wishes.

Ser. No 7500 was made some time in 1983 (range 006944 – 011998).

badlyread:

I think the <7500 advice I was given was a general rule. I remember specifically being advised to avoid bolt down 250s for example as they were difficult to stabilize on the test bench. There may also be a lack of parts availability for certain models? It may not necessarily apply to all models. Again, just a general rule.

I happened to see a gorgeous 42/110 pairing the other day with serial numbers in the ~7,200 range. I don’t think they would have been ruled out by definition.

At the end of the day if your 110 was serviced and sounds great then that’s that!

1 Like

It does, thank you. But your unqualified advice might put someone off buying something great.

1 Like

Can’t see any reason to dismiss the CB160 on servicing grounds. It’s akin to a 250 without the regulators. Some misinformation in this thread methinks.

2 Likes

It might be worth asking @NeilS for his view. This is news to me, but doesn’t mean it’s not correct, I’d say Neil’s about as definitive a source as we can get. Hope you don’t mind being put on the spot Neil.

It’s news to me!
We can service all the bolt down stuff, yes the old 250s can suffer with some instability issues, but that can be fixed with relative ease.
Transformers cannot be replaced, but failure is rare.

Regards
Neil.

4 Likes