If a product has to go back to the retailer because it's faulty, should they pick up the courier fee?

I have a Nova, which needs to be checked for a hardware fault and have been advised by the very reputable retailer I purchased it from to courier it to them for examination with the view that if their people cannot repair it, it will go back to Naim.

I am intending to use their courier service, which is relaible and good, but I am obviously concerned about sending the item without insurance. With insurance, the delivery will set me back £263, which is galling given the item is under warrantyy and the fault is not caused by me.

I assume if I send it without additonal insurance and it goes missing, I am up a certain creek without a certain implement with no recourse.

So, what do folk do here when they send kit back to be repaired etc.

Any advice gratefully received.

£263 sounds quite extraordinary. Are you in the U.K.? If so have you tried DPD? They are very reliable and well priced. Would it be possible for you to take it in once restrictions make that possible?

This is where buying locally has the advantage, though that’s not always possible of course. As I understand it it’s up to the owner to get it back to the dealer, whether by plane, train or automobile.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is a lot - and I was using DPD, who are v reliable. I am UK based. Looking now at alternative insurance.

It may be worth asking the dealer how much it would cost if they arranged the collection. They may well have an arrangement with the courier that works out far cheaper than if you arranged it yourself.

1 Like

Yes, absolutely, my amps were collected for service at £24 a box which was way cheaper than any quote I could get

Yes…as said… the dealer should get the unit uplifted by a courier at their expense.

I looked around for couriers recently and found that to send a 282 fully insured for around £2k was going to cost over £100.

Of particular concern was this on DPD’s website in the Special Provisions section

“Amplifiers - maximum Parcel Protection value for damages is £200.00, up to £2,500.00 for lost items.”

I’ve decided if I sell anything privately I’ll let the buyer take responsibility for collection and delivery and I’d do the same with a dealer too. Maybe dealers can get different terms?

Is it under warranty?

I don’t believe that’s the case. I’m 99% certain it’s for the customer to get it back to the supplying dealer, whether under warranty or not. It often pays to shop local.

2 Likes

Thanks - good advice. I have done that and they have offfered to pick it up insured with a much lower cost. So, looking good.

Thanks all for your advice. Have reached a solution with dealer.

Yes the Nova is just over a year old. Two year warranty.

Obviously not.

I think it can be sent back to naim by any naim dealer so when shops open is there a naim dealer that is more local? I think there’s an agreed rate of £20-30 to get it to naim(?)

Timjoebill try parcel force brilliant just sold nap 200 on well known site £ 20 for 48 hour delivery insured £1000 £ 25 fully tracked and not handled by gorillas (aka) couriers I will never use them again after a previous mess. Needless to say it ended up at Naim not Manchester only 30 miles away.
Plus damaged

@sjw correct any Naim dealer, it doesn’t need to be the one you bought it from.

I am not convinced that it is obvious, at least in general.

If a fault develops within six months of purchase then it is deemed to have been present from the outset (unless the dealer proves otherwise). Any costs of repair or replacement is borne by the dealer, including carriage.

I know that in this case the item is over a year old, so the above doesn’t apply. Also, I am just setting out the legal position (I am not a lawyer though). It is always worth working out a pragmatic solution with a dealer, as the OP has done.

And of course this is the difference between warranty and guarantee. The former means the device will be repaired or replaced, typically by or under written by the manufacturer, but there may be additional costs involved to the customer in this process such as labour and postage and packing, check conditions of sale.
A guarantee, usually provided by the retailer, is the item will repaired or replaced should it be or become faulty through no fault of the customer at no additional cost. Postage and packing is usually considered additional cost, but check conditions of sale.

As such warranties are for a generally longer period of time and are effectively an insurance, gaurentees are typically shorter, unless a benign product. In the UK you usually have a 12 month guarantee, but not always.

No FedEx or UPS in the UK? How about DHL or Postal Service?

Ever since Brexit DPD does not seem to courier to the UK any more. Does it still operate within the UK?