If Classic FM is slowly dying what classical music streaming service do people prefer

Radio Swiss Classical is great and sounds really good too for a low bitrate stream. I listen to R3 a lot in the mornings but it can be a bit ponderous, Petroc Trelawny is always enjoyable though

3 Likes

Many thanks @Hollow another to check.

1 Like

+1 for Radio Swiss Classic.

1 Like

@NikosK @Hollow
Just listening to Radio Swiss Classic. For a low res station quality is good and selection of pieces is ok for me. Wonder if they will ever increase the bit rate?

I used to listen to classic fm on a regular basis, but now only really listen to on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day for the carols.

That strange old fallacy - not an experience I’ve ever had, from my first forays to Chinese restaurants in young adulthood to it becoming a regular part of my diet, hunger satisfaction every time.

Classic FM is not musically satisfying to me, but that is because it has the normal music radio format of isolated tracks not complete works, and limited playlists meaning a lot of repetition if listened to regularly. Irregular dipping in gives a chance to hear music new to me, not having the most extensive of classical experience, and mostly without the frequent unpleasant interjections of most non-classical music radio with far more that I can’t stand than has classical. For classical music satisfaction it would have to be Radio 3, when they play something that I like, but as I mostly prefer to choose what I want to listen to, and don’t have a radio attached to my hifi, I am not a R3 listener.

2 Likes

Not mentioned above in my intro is the quantity of chit chat between pieces by the presenter and the, in my opinion, over use of advertisements. Appreciate they have to make money but I suspect that around 25% of their airplay is not music. This in itself may be a driver to poorer listening numbers when compared to other offerings.

There are some Webstations for Classical, which sends their Streaming-Music via HighRes-Data: Mother Earth Klassik (Studioquality with 24 Bit/96khz, Data-Format: FLAC) or Naim Classical Radio (16/44.1/FLAC). Very good sound!!!

1 Like

Hi @Dibus480710
Many thanks for the information.
Not sure if you are aware that both these stations are available via the Naim app using the built in internet radio input selection.
Apologies in advance if this is what you were pointing out.

I did not know it, cause I am using a Lumin-Streaming Bridge. With internal Internet-Radio-App TuneIn. Via this App Lumin feeds the Streamer automaticly with a lot of FLAC-Stations, Naim-Stations included. In earlier times Linn-Stations (only MP3) too, since one year the Linns are away.

1 Like

Lumin is an extremely good piece, it sounds very well, al lot of Firrmware-Updates. My only Naim-Component is a Uniti Core, well builded, sounds amazing too via LAN-Cable to the Lumin. Uniti Core Core has a lot of Software-Problems, Rippping etc. Very few Firmware-Updates. Its not possible to edit imported Musicfiles. And its not possible to choose by ripping single Tracks from any CD. And you cant erase any track from CDs you have ripped. What a pitty!

No problem. We all use different kit. Just so long as the music sounds good.

Most of that is completely wrong. But if you want to believe it….

Sorry, Mister Hendon, but only my own experiences. From where do you know, that most of my experiences are completety wrong? I could show you some screenshots of my experiences, I would send it you via Mail. Are you very near to Naim, Mister Henden?

I still enjoy it. It’s often on in my house.

Can I introduce you all to LyricFM from RTE

In particular weekday morning programs & then from 10am on weekends, The Hamilton Scores.

2 Likes

Hi @simon.pepper
Personally I’ve not heard that station/service before. I’ll give it a listen this week. Many thanks for the tip.

It’s been mentioned a few times before, but BBC Radio 3 is just perfect for me. Presenters come and go, but I soon adapt to the change as the overall quality remains. There has been a recent drift to more contemporary compositions as well as taking steps to present more ‘inclusive’ programming.

Composer of the Week, presented by Donald Macleod at 12:00 noon on weekdays is most informative and is one of the longest surviving programmes. I also enjoy In Tune as well as the live broadcasts, particularly during the proms, when the BBC broadcasts every concert live.

A live broadcast on BBC Radio 3 FM can be astonishingly realistic.

2 Likes

Checking your profile, I rather wondered if it would include a NAT01…same here, it might not be FM at all stages, but Naim tuners work their magic. In my case fed by a G17, at the time rigged by the designer RS no less. While I used to listen to CFM - see above, I somehow think my NAT has not been moved away from R3!

2 Likes

G17 here too. Ron and his son came and installed a G20 on my last house, but I had to remove the front three elements when I moved here as planning constraints wouldn’t allow it on the outside, besides I’m so much closer to the transmitter now. It’s not had such a strong signal since I moved out of London.

2 Likes