If I were to order a ND5XS2

Thanks, at least it’s better not worse! It would be good if you could manage dedicated mains at some point, though it’s not always easy, I realise.

The ND5XS2 has arrived :grinning:

NAS is in place with Minimserver running and all my ripped CDs (that’s a job I don’t fancy doing again) moved on to it. That will give me something to do when I finish work for today!

4 Likes

Good news, enjoy the setup and new kit.

Aha! My nait xs2 arrived 30 mins ago to partner my nd5xs2 !! Good day all round :+1:

4 Likes

Similar thoughts to me Alex. The attraction of streaming to me is the convenience and versatility that allows me to listen to new music plus old music that I missed first time around. If I like it I will get the cd, if I really really like it I will get the vinyl. If I like something enough I want to own it so no one can take it away at a later date. Absolute sq is not a priority . Having said that I will be buying a nd5xs2 soon but that’s because I want one not because I need one

Well after almost throwing the thing out the window I’m up and running.
First up it was not in Wi-Fi mode. The app said the Mu-So was not in Wi-Fi mode even though I had selected nd5xs2 on the page to select what device you want to set up. OK I’m not setting up a Mu-So but I’ll go with it. It then said to reset Wi-Fi using the reset button in the pinhole next to the status indicator. What pinhole next to the indicator? Then I remembered a reset on the back from the quick start guide so I pressed that in and the status light changed colour. Hooray!
It then wanted to connect to the device and it showed me an nd5xs2 icon with the right serial number beside it. Hooray again until I tried to connect. When I hit the connect button it turned the Wi-Fi off on my tablet then told me it couldn’t connect to the device. Duh of course not. Repeat this for about 10 attempts and inexplicably it connected. It recognised my NAS minimserver right away and setting up Tidal was straightforward so we’re up and running :smile:
It has only been up for about half an hour but the Wi-Fi connection seems solid and it is sounding good

2 Likes

Excellent… give it a few hours running time and it will sound even better. The one I got (by way of Mr.M) improved a lot after a day or so of use.

I was able to connect it directly to the router by cat6 cable so didn’t have to juggle with the wifi settings and my NAS was already set up from a previous streamer. Just plugged in the ethernet cable and enabled it in Roon and away it went!

I have had mine for almost a month now or so, and am loving it. Works a treat alongside the Nait XS3, a nice little combination.

Similar setup here with a Nait XS2. So far compared with the CD5si it isn’t a WOW! differnce but it is at least as good which is testament to just how good the CD5si is. However compared with the Sonos Connect it really is a WOW! difference and along with the convenience factor of having all my CDs available from an app on my phone or tablet was the driver behind buying it. So, for sale, one Sonos Connect and one CD5si :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would hang on to that cd5si if I were you. When I eventually get my hands on a nd5xs2 the CD player and turntable are going nowhere.

1 Like

Why would I want to hang on to it? The ND5XS2 sounds at least as good as the CD5si, and I have the convenience of my entire CD collection ripped on to a NAS and available instantly from an app on my phone and tablet. No more CDs cluttering up the listening room, they are all now stored away. It also has more functionalty than the CDP as I can now stream in CD quality from Tidal. Nah, it is getting sold. Vinyl is going nowhere though.

Quite so. I saved so much wall space when I ripped all my CDs. Qobuz seem to be giving away some free albums at the moment - I’ve just ‘bought’ ten and they will sit happily on the nas without cluttering up my little house.

I personally like a hard copy to look at and reference while I am listening whether it’s cd or vinyl but for convenience and versatility streaming is the way forward but I like to think the nd5xs2 will compliment my system rather than replace any part of it. Remember streaming providers can remove albums or part albums on a whim. I can see the attraction of freeing up wall space.

That’s what Roon is good for. Not just a convent way to organise and access music but also read about and find new music with links to similar bands etc.

1 Like

Thanks Toonartist. I’m not familiar with Roon but will investigate further when I get the nd5xs2

I agree about vinyl but with CD it has never been the same. The artwork just isn’t as impressive and most of them any text inside is in microscopic font or otherwise illegible due to the colour schemes used. I know that streaming providers can remove albums or tracks with no notice so I’ll still buy CDs as I prefer to own my music, the only difference will be that rather than play them I’ll just rip them to the NAS and store them away.

3 Likes

If you have a lot of music it’s also a good way to create a random playlists of similar music either for your own library or, streaming services. Pick one track that suites your mood and it will look at your collection for similar music. You can add Tidal or Qobuz at the moment.

I was a bit sceptical at first but now I’ve been using it for the last couple of months I struggle going back to the other equipment apps.

If you have a NAS, run it from there and stream to the whole house without needing a computer to be on. ND5 XS2 was a breeze to connect to it.

Ripping all your music can be a pain but if you backup your collection, you’ll only have to do it once!

2 Likes

Always difficult when you find a new super format.
Vinyl, then CD, back to vinyl ( usually now with better hardware), cd ( better hardware), streaming. Then add a DAC.

But, I’ve always kept the media. Bought it for a reason. Warts and all.
Me, love my ND5 xs2, love the cd5si , love the Gyro SE. Will keep all three. Will keep all the media. And yes, the CDs are ripped and more often than not get played via NAS. And I enjoy buying cheap CDs that I could easy listen too confusing a Qobuz et al.
But it is still fun to play a cd or record to kick back and enjoy.
And of course you don’t need the internet for either format.

1 Like

Vinyl is my first love but ironically I bought so many cds to save space :joy:

Isn’t that the truth! I’ve got it on my NAS and on an external drive as well, but I might get another external drive just to be safe!

1 Like