If I were to order a ND5XS2

So taking all of the above in to account, I think the consensus is that the ND5XS2 will sound at least as good as and perhaps better than my CD5si when playing a ripped CD from my network, and should be a big step up from the Sonos Connect when streaming a CD quality Tidal stream, and that if both those statements are true there would be little point in hanging on the CDP if I were to get a ND5XS2. But I guess the only way to be sure is a home demo which alas is impossible at the moment.

2 Likes

Elverdiblanco

Been in a similar place. You are in for a positive surprise when you compare the streamer and CD player. Good luck.

1 Like

I would be very surprised if you didnā€™t find that a CD rip played on an ND5XS2 was considerably better than playing the CD on the CD5si. You need a simple wired network with well made cables and a decent nas - itā€™s really all very straightforward.

2 Likes

Well you could, but as DavidParis points out youā€™ll still be comparing A with B and trying to identify minute differences. I havenā€™t heard an ND5XS2, mine was its forerunner, now long since gone in favour of a 272 powered by a 555 but the word is that itā€™s very good.

I have to say that it doesnā€™t bother me one jot that a random cd player from Naim or anyone else might be ā€˜betterā€™, my setup (272 etc) has been the norm now for a while and it provides enormous pleasure as it stands. A CD player wouldnā€™t be worse or better, it would just be slightly different and then thereā€™d be two norms. But more likely Iā€™d be sitting with a glass of wine not wanting to break the moment by getting up to find the next CD to play as the same thing is on the streamer as a decent rip so the CDs remain underused and underplayed.

One other thing that I donā€™t often see mentioned is this. With Tidal in place, drilling down with the Naim app through your ripped music presents the selected album being played as youā€™d expect, but Tidal then sticks up an array of other recordings by the same and similar artists. My Genesis collection is 2 CDs, being prompted to spread out a bit and try one I never thought to buy when I was vaguely interested in them is a brilliant touch. And itā€™s all prod & play, the mood and the moment continues unbroken. I genuinely think your CD player would quickly be redundant. But itā€™s your choice obviously.

3 Likes

Unfortunately wired is out of the question for now, it would have to be wifi, but everything Iā€™ve read suggests wifi performance is pretty good too.
One other thing, at the moment every component in my system is plugged in to a cheap Ā£10 6 way extension block from B&Q. Is that likely to be holding back my system and if so what should I be looking at? Installing a dedicated hifi mains ring isnā€™t going to fly at the moment.

Yes, it will hold things back. The wireworld matrix is a good sensible priced block. You want a block with no switches, lights or filters. If you have only two powered boxes - say a CD and an amp, you can simply wire both into the same plug.

Very well said. Arenā€™t you clever. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Take it from a person who actually owns a ND5 XS 2 - the WiFi is excellent, you will hardly tell the difference between that and a wired connection, unlike the old platform. You will see, or should I say ā€˜hearā€™ what I mean when that time comes. Good luck with your decision making.

Here is a good review that you might want to read - https://www.stereophile.com/content/naim-nd5-xs-2-media-player

5 out of the 6 sockets are already in use; turntable, phono stage, CD player, amp and Sonos streamer. I was wondering about that Wireworld matrix so Iā€™ve taken the plunge and ordered one, hopefully Iā€™ll notice the difference. Every now and again I think my system sounds a bit rough compared with how it usually sounds, I wonder if the cheap extension block is a factor in that?

I very much doubt it. Itā€™s very likely your mood but if the new block makes you content with the sound more of the time it will have done its work. Onwards and upwards!

Well that one will be winging its way to me next week :slight_smile: I even managed a bit of a discount on the price it was listed at :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For the Wirewold matrix, I think itā€™s a good product. Whether you hear a difference or not is another question. The benefit you will definitely have is knowing that youā€™ve probably improved that weak link and that is a positive step for sure.

Iā€™m just a few weeks into ND5 XS2 ownership. I largely use it for a new Qobuz subscription which I took out with the Naim and for listening to the likes of Jazz24 radio. It is a superb player and Iā€™m thoroughly enjoying it and Qobuz.

They have largely replaced both CD and vinyl listening but the vinyl will always get a look in. The CDs will probably be ripped in due course and consigned to the attic.

4 Likes

My vinyl will always get a look-in. As long as the ND5XS2 is at least as good a playing a CD rip as the CD5si, that will get sold and the CDs ripped and stored out of the way.

Thatā€™s two weak links sorted this week :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, now that Iā€™ve taken the plunge on this, any recommendations for a good NAS to store my ripped CDs that will work well with the ND5XS2?

Hi,
Have you tried Soundcraft in Ashford? They donā€™t have an ex demo for sale now, but they are a good crew.

https://soundcrafthifi.com/

They are my local dealer and I have built up a good relationship with them. I did speak to Geoff there yesterday, he told me they sold their demo XS2 last week and couldnā€™t say when they would be able to get another.

Iā€™m biased but get a faff free Innuos Zen Mini Mk3