If I were to order a ND5XS2

I agree about vinyl but with CD it has never been the same. The artwork just isn’t as impressive and most of them any text inside is in microscopic font or otherwise illegible due to the colour schemes used. I know that streaming providers can remove albums or tracks with no notice so I’ll still buy CDs as I prefer to own my music, the only difference will be that rather than play them I’ll just rip them to the NAS and store them away.

3 Likes

If you have a lot of music it’s also a good way to create a random playlists of similar music either for your own library or, streaming services. Pick one track that suites your mood and it will look at your collection for similar music. You can add Tidal or Qobuz at the moment.

I was a bit sceptical at first but now I’ve been using it for the last couple of months I struggle going back to the other equipment apps.

If you have a NAS, run it from there and stream to the whole house without needing a computer to be on. ND5 XS2 was a breeze to connect to it.

Ripping all your music can be a pain but if you backup your collection, you’ll only have to do it once!

2 Likes

Always difficult when you find a new super format.
Vinyl, then CD, back to vinyl ( usually now with better hardware), cd ( better hardware), streaming. Then add a DAC.

But, I’ve always kept the media. Bought it for a reason. Warts and all.
Me, love my ND5 xs2, love the cd5si , love the Gyro SE. Will keep all three. Will keep all the media. And yes, the CDs are ripped and more often than not get played via NAS. And I enjoy buying cheap CDs that I could easy listen too confusing a Qobuz et al.
But it is still fun to play a cd or record to kick back and enjoy.
And of course you don’t need the internet for either format.

1 Like

Vinyl is my first love but ironically I bought so many cds to save space :joy:

Isn’t that the truth! I’ve got it on my NAS and on an external drive as well, but I might get another external drive just to be safe!

1 Like

Vinyl is my first love but I only started buying CDs when vinyl became almost impossible to buy and when so much music never got a vinyl release through the 90’s an 00’s. I won’t miss the CD as a format as I’ve never really fallen in love with it. Having a collection on the NAS and Tidal also means that the other half has no need to touch my turntable or vinyl because nobody looks after it better than I do :joy:

1 Like

I’ve now had it plugged in and warming up for a couple of days and tonight is the first chance I’ve had to do some serious listening. Holy cow, it sounds great and the CD5si is already a distant memory. I’m listening to George Michael’s Listen Without Prejudice from a ripped CD on the NAS and it sounds fabulous. Cowboys and Angels was especially good.

2 Likes

I was with you until you mentioned George Michael. :grinning: Only joking…or am I? :thinking:

Whether your joking or not, George was a fantastic talent and a very decent bloke by all accounts though he did sadly struggle with his demons. Sadly missed.

1 Like

I’m lucky in that I already have a two NAS system for work (photographer). One NAS is my working NAS that is updated daily from a DAS and runs as a RAID 0 for speed. The 2nd NAS runs as a Backup NAS as a Jumble of Disks. The 1st NAS has Shared folders for each type of media and each share has an automated routine backing it up to two locations on the Backup NAS. One location is updated weekly and the other is Monthly.

This way you’re protected against hardware failure (the NAS) and two lots of drive failures. If you have an outbuilding (I use my studio) you can place the Backup NAS there and covers against fire damage in the main property as well. Use the best drives you can… Ironwolf Pro are very good.

I sat back tonight with a beer and relaxed listening to the new system… love it. Just can’t wait to sit back down and listen again!

Absolutely. I’m trying to keep my spirits up in the guise of humour in these depressing times

I’ve still got my CD5 XS, however despite attempting to keep it in my system which at that time was adding an ND5 XS2, if’s been sat in its box for almost a year. I used it as a transport through the ND5 for a bit and ran it in parallel to the ND5 also and it does sound good/different, no faulting it in fact but I can still buy and enjoy CD’s and various streaming sources and do it all in one place controlled in an aggregated way using Roon. Migration to integrated local library and streaming considered a success after over a year trying it all out.
Still have plenty of vinyl and buy that as well but do have different systems in different rooms so can chop and change as needed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.