Impressions of the Chord Qutest DAC

…as I said earlier - I never did use the original power supply in the box - and instead the Qutest is powered by an Uptone Audio JS-2: https://uptoneaudio.com/products/js-2-linear-power-supply.

Perhaps in that case based on your experience I have never heard the Qutest as it should have sounded and my results of being impressed are largely due to the influence of the JS-2?

Where do you get the most improvement for the Qutest - HQPlayer (further up-sampling and bypassing the filter) - or with the high quality psu?

1 Like

Plenty of them - Lampizator, Audio Note, Mark Levinson whatever

and what dc cable are you using? Because qutest has micro usb input for the power supply

1 Like

Read lots of reviews and settled on demoing a Qutest in an attempt to move away from the very forward sound of my first generation CDX2 and XPS2.

Found that it was very clear and detailed but also very much as much in your face as the former.

I totally agree - but it is what I wanted from it as my preference is for forward sound. The Qutest connected to my Auralic Aries G1.1 sounds identical to my CDX2/XPSDR.

I don’t disagree, but the point I’m making is that most people (or at least the ones who comment online) that try the HQPlayer with Chord DACs won’t even bother with anything beyond the 1 million or 2 million tap filters, simply because of the perceived similarity to the Mscaler. According to my experience they are mistaken and missing out big time.

I may be missing out big time who knows - but it sounds great as is!

What linear power supply are you using with your Qutest - there’s a possibility that you may also be missing out big time if you haven’t tethered it to a decent psu?

1 Like

Right now I’m using a MiniTeddy 5V/2A, not too different from the StackAudio Volt. It also got similar results with the iFi iPowerX. I may try a Sean Jacobs DC3 in the future, but not sure since I recently audition a Weiss Helios and was blown away by the analog like presentation. I will probably try the DAC204 first instead.

That sounds good. I’ve also heard that the Musical Fidelity M6x is excellent too - but I guess we can keep going on forever in the chase for perfection - the Qutest was giant leap for me as it stands.

I am currently upgrading my infrastructure before making decisions on further DAC swapping - the Uptone Audio JS-2 psu is of course a great bedrock as starters, but I am also replacing my standard IEC power cables with Puritan Classics (good value, not over-the-top pricing, and flexible) - I have one Puritan in already for the amp.

1 Like

Totally agree with you… number of taps is only one way, and even with FIR filters there are different windowing algorithms established within mathematics and DSP engineering principles to reduce the dependency on kernel size (number of taps). Rob Watts has found his way, he is entitled to as a designer, but there are many alternate way of achieving the same or similar outcome.

1 Like

I never gave much thought to this PSU before some reason, I think I’ll give it a try later on this year, thanks for the tip.

I’ve used the Plixir Statement Silver DC and Ghent Gotham GAC 4/1 UltraPro (JSSG360). Gotham, I had terminated in Micro-USB. Plixir, I used the supplied adapter that James sent with the LPS for the Qutest.

NOTE: I used a WH Morgana .75m RCA → DIN interconnect cable. I have a Naim Lavender, but it’s not a fair comparison.

1 Like

Yep, the DC-3.

1 Like

Though the JS-2 is a superbly well-made LPS, I haven’t yet heard it deliver what I would call “amazing” sonic results.

In order of % of improvement: Plixir Elite BDC → DC Umbilical → SRC-DX dual BNC (+ upsampling) → Canare L8-CUHD 75r BNC cables x 2 → Intona USB Isolator → AudioWise/Thor Labs/Mini Circuits BNC RFI inline filters → IEC Power cable for Plixir Elite BDC.

By far, the LPS was the biggest improvement. Plixir alone created parity with the TT2. Statement DC or Ghent Gotham JSSG360 sent it past the TT2.

I have never, personally, seen a source device ship with this much potential “in the tank” as the Chord Qutest.

In fact, even though I absolutely adore my NDX 2 + XPS DR…and it’s not going anywhere, I still haven’t posted my Qutest/Plixir/SRC-DX setup for sale. Just can’t bring myself to do it yet.

2 Likes

Interesting just how far power supplies can take a bit of kit!

I took the opportunity in buying the JS-2 ‘used’ - I haven’t really compared other power supplies such as your Plixir Elite. All I know is that the Quest certainly sounds good on the end of it - and I was attracted by flexibility of the JS-2 by having the option in selecting voltage from two outputs.

You could go on forever with upgrades - people also rave about the Sean Jacobs psu.

In order of sound quality improvements which makes the most difference - the Plixir Elite or upsampling?

1 Like

I think both of these things can be rabbit holes; but, effective ones.

The question is, how much of an improvement would I have made with a better DAC for the investment.

The Qutest is a bloody good DAC. I use an SBooster & Ultra with the Qutest, which raises its performance nicely.

That said, how about adding a 555PSU to an nDAC? Another bloody good DAC, plus an eye watering amount for the PSU.

I am NOT throwing stones, I have just bought a Weiss PSU102 for my Weiss DAC204.

Upsampling can be very productive. HQPlayer works well with the Qutest. But there is no free lunch, so you will need a capable server & the licence. Still, cheaper than the M-Scaler. That said, do some searches on its stability. I know people who use it successfully, but there an amount of work to get it running well - and some learning curves. Depends what floats your boat.

If you use Roon try its upsampling. It is NOT in the same league as HQPlayer or the M-Scaler, but it gives you a decent feel for what it can do. Minimserver also can upscale your local files, if you pay for the Minim Streamer, from memory.

LOTS of ways to go.

Of course, you could stop and just enjoy the music!

5 Likes

I guess everybody is interested whether it’s better vs Qutest with LPSU :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Much, with or without its PSU …but so it should be, it is a tad more expensive.

2 Likes

Which one you liked better?

1 Like

DAC205 is where I’m going next, but I still want to squeeze as much performance from the Qutest I can since it’s bound to my secondary system.

Does qutest support dual coax? Is it possible to implement the same configuration with a Mutec mc3?