Impressions with new FW (3.11.0 and other generations...)

That’s just a forum myth. Often repeated.

A few months ago when Bruce was considering buying a streaming bridge to use with his NDS, he was told that was the case.

Turned out a £500 streaming bridge walked all over the NDS streaming board. :scream:

Well yes as upnp is for ease of adding something else to the device and it just works, so adding a newer streamer to the NDS will almost certainly be better than the old limited one in the NDS.
So the NDS may well have been better using say a disc drive plugged into over the built in streamer board and then just use the dac in the NDS.

The problem with trying to be helpful is that you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t. The easiest thing is to say nothing whatsoever, but when people are getting in a tizzy over potential updates one’s instinct is to help and to provide reassurance. Look at the comments when I said that the firmware wouldn’t be released by the time of the Bristol Show. Do I have permission to reveal X, Y or Z etc etc. it does make me think I should not have bothered sometimes, and just let people work themselves up and come up with ridiculous theories. I do know the reasons for the delay and you can be sure that everything is being done to get the firmware released. Nobody stands to gain from endless delay.

Going forward, once 3.12 is released, I’d hope that we can return to the former situation where firmware is worked on, nobody outside the beta group knows about it, and it just pops out as a surprise to everyone. That would avoid the endless speculation and hand wringing.

11 Likes

Done this several times - its not as good as it is when streamed directly via dedicated streamer. Even tested it with nd555 a time ago.

But you haven’t answered the question.

Do you have permission to divulge when the firmware won’t be released, given it is breaking forum rules to do so.

Members who are part of the Naim Beta group and who have access to the Beta forum should not discuss or divulge or share information on the public forums or elsewhere about anything in Beta testing.

I agree that the best thing to do is say nothing, as you are supposed to.

4 Likes

Will it be better? For UPNP ony… I dont know have not tested yet. There is another cable (digital) to be added and another box to be added - another PSU… the system becomes more and more complex. I remember forum member stu liking bare NDS more that the option with limetree (and limetree is a good streamer)
I will try this but I will wait for 3.12 results first. Now I am totally happy with NDS performance

1 Like

Dont know, i was replying to fatcat post more so than anything else.

1 Like

I use my own judgement as to whether saying something is appropriate, in order to help manage expectations. I have discussed this with people at Naim so they are aware that it’s something I do, and they are happy for me to do so. You’ll note they I’ve not said anything about functionality or sound quality and nor would I. If I am ever in any doubt as to whether it’s ok to reveal something I will always check first.

5 Likes

That is exactly what we would expect after our 272/NDX2 experience.

Thanks.

1 Like

Fair play Halibut for “walking the line”. Everyone wants a glimmer, a peak or hint…. :+1:

1 Like

Local files through Melco sound a bit better but some hires Qobuz sound very good with Mconnect Qobuz online, on my system. With an external transport, Qobuz hires should be very promising.

Qobuz hires is very good. But when downloaded? We will see :smiley:

1 Like

I bet they are.

So you’re the official incoming flak buffer. :grin:

2 Likes

I’m a beta-tester as well and I can confirm HH is the incoming flak buffer. lol.

6 Likes

@Fatcat

Back off mate / comments unwarranted

I’m not sure the community benefits much from a strict interrogation of the rules here. Most of us are far more interested in any color or insight @HungryHalibut and others can provide without them being given a hard time for it.

For those of us who have invested significantly in this equipment, the firmware release is highly consequential to our daily enjoyment. I’d much rather prioritize that conversation over a debate on the fine print.

10 Likes

This thread is a good display of the anxiety surrounding Firmware updates. The change after 3.8 has ruined the reputation of Naim firmware and the trust has never rebuild…., even while the current firmware is somehow decent. Naim has had now enough time to even do deeper research to what caused the issues and mitigations around it. However my level of expectation is low as I lost trust in the ability to get it right. So at best I expect somehow unchanged or similar sound with the new firmware.

Obviously I would hope to be surprised and rave about the upcoming firmware. However they always say hope dies first….

It get’s time that this thread wouldn’t exist anymore. And only pop’s up after every software release where we discuss experiences, sort out some small bugs and go on. Now this has become a long running thread….

5 Likes

The way I feel right now, this would be the best way forward.

However if 3.12 turned out to be a poor (and irreversible) update, I’d be chomping at the bit to know if/when the next update is estimated.

I have removed some posts that I felt are overly combative.

I would like to remind all beta testers of the rules;

Members who are part of the Naim Beta group and who have access to the Beta forum should not discuss or divulge or share information on the public forums or elsewhere about anything in Beta testing.

And would ask all members to please respect the fact that the beta testers are providing a really valuable service to Naim, the forum, and Naim end users. They cannot divulge information regarding any ongoing beta test, so please refrain from asking them, or demanding answers on anything regarding the beta testing. I will not tolerate any beta tester being pilloried on the forum for the service they give for all.

FWIW, whatever the firmware or software might be now, there is almost always a newer update in development or in beta - that is the nature of it, so any further speculation on the next release is really pointless right now. There are all sorts of hoops that have to be jumped through and often things need to be added or amended even quite late on that adds time for further development, additions, amendments, then further testing, then sometimes approvals from 3rd parties, then beta testing, and finally listening. Hence why giving ETAs on releases is impossible.

On that basis, I’m going to close this thread for the time being. If members wish to open a new one when the next FW is released then that’s fine by me.

24 Likes