Improving Bass response NAP250-DR, NAC-N272, Focal Electra 1038BE, NAC-A5

You guys are a really inspiration. Thank you!
I am already getting very acceptable results with the master set method. It can probably be improved further, so I made a playlist with my well known songs which are used after a ‘calibration’ as a reference. For the bass response I use the song in the picture as suggested by the writer of the master set pdf.

Sorry … whats the master set reference method?..is this just a collection of tracks with good bass definition???

I think I know what you mean … the original non DR amps sound a little warm … and the Focals are just on the clinical side … hence a match. The latest 250 DR has lost that warmth thus the Focals - will probably exaggerate the lack of warmth… maybe … however, I think you will find allot of forum members use Focals with DR amps to very good effect…

@Richieroo Master Set is a procedure to set up speaker’s
Try Googling Master Set Sumiko

It’s not just about speaker position. With three big power supplies the mains plug order and other stuff on the HiFi radial can make a difference. you need to give the boxes hours of playing to get the system to rebalance itself. Crazy!

Phil

@Filipe. Yes but if the speakers are poorly setup all the tweaking in the world won’t make up for it.

Just saying if you get imbalanced bass etc it is not necessarily the speakers. It’s a matter of disentangling the one from the other which may not be immediately obvious. So don’t think it is all about speaker positioning.

Excessive bass is often something else than speaker positioning and may appear boomy but the thing to do is tame it in all the ways possible. Yes, the Ballad of the Runaway Horse is useful and I have not had to move my speakers since I did it

Just my experience.

Phil

Sopra 2s sound sublime when the system gives them fine signals. They don’t hide anything. Mains including earth can be important even to the extent of plug ordering.

Phil

Well Phil lets agree to disagree.:grinning: Speakers are 80% of the sound ( just my opinion, based on lots of experience) Most good electronics sound similar enough that if there is some gross anomaly it’s more than likely speakers… Unless something is broken or hooked up incorrectly. ie: Out of phase, loose connection, cold solder joints, things of that nature.

Well … I had a revelation recently I had issues with boomy I’ll defined bass…I then managed to improve the grip and resution of the bass…and bingo most of boom issue I could have sworn was the room was gone… If you dont have enough bass or you feel it missing … it is probably a room positioning thing…

We are agreed then. :laughing: I never said it was not speakers but you need to consider other things all in a balanced way listening to a good range of music. Speaker produce sound provided by the boxes otherwise they are silent!

Phil

Absolutely! An Audio System is just that a system. Everything needs to work in harmony for best results!

As I say I was surprised … however, the room is incredibly important. Bass frequencies are omni directional … checking room speaker placement is the 1st port of call providing electrics are operating correctly.

And listening position as part of that

1 Like

It also depends on the make of speakers. My Sopra 2s are on long wall, so well in, and also differing distances from side walls. The Spendor A6Rs didn’t do as good a job. Sopras do the job and I hear the differences with mains plug order.

Phil

2 Likes

Moving the speakers around (adjusting just a little) has a big influence on the sound. I am not there yet, however it’s fun playing around with this.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.