In praise of a forum member

Hi,
To Pieper, TigerPaw have gone out of business. The website will take your money, but no one will respond and there is nothing coming to you in the post or otherwise. As advised to you some time ago, if you paid by PayPal, you need to instigate a claim with them. If you paid by credit card, you need to contact your card issuer. If you paid by bank transfer, caveat emptor.
To Mark, I have found the Skale for Aro keeps it’s tracking weight very well when adjusting for azimuth. Check that the o ring at the back of the Skale has not become detached and kinked. This will lead to a metal to metal contact and some slippage in tracking force when adjusting for azimuth. Also, I did not quite understand your second to last comment, how is the bias hanger weight related to azimuth? This advice seems to go against your former advice. Are you suggesting setting azimuth ‘by ear’ and then somehow compensating with the bias position? Anyway, I’m very happy with the sound of mine now (after also adding some of Edmund Chan’s excellent products to the table) so won’t be fiddling!

The Aro Skale is an improvement over the heavy counterweight, but not without slight compromise on sound. It is worth getting one though.

The bias hanger will not affect the azimuth if set absolutely perfect. Mark was talking about the Skale adjustment.

One thing to bear in mind is that it’s not just the plinth that has to be level, it’s the plinth, platter, arm board and arm that counts as a package, and the stand it’s on. The whole lot. And don’t take for granted the platter and arm board would be exactly the same, even with a Keel.

Thank you for the info… I have tried to contact either at Tiger Paw after your first message, but no response…
Will have to see if I can find one on eBay or something similar…

As I say, you are fully protected if you paid via PP or CC, you just need to claim.
Cymbiosis in the UK had a small stock of Skales and Tranquility’s last month.

I contacted cymbiosis yesterday and asked if they have one… that was pretty late, so waiting for a response👍🏻

Peter @ cymbiosis unfortunately hasn’t got the sKale…

Would members please ensure that they respect and abide forum rules. Thanks.

Hi Mark…

Just out of curiosity☺️…
The sKale has 140 grams in weight plus two extra weights of 15 and 20 grams…
How much weight have you got hanging on your tonearm?
I can’t find one anywhere sold separately and am thinking of having a concentric counterweight custom made ( maybe even from marble, I know a stone mason🤔… made from stone it would be a bit tricky to have separate weights to screw on the main weight.)

I’ve got my bluetack by the way… should I leave the azimuth weight tight to the cup, take it off completely or put it somewhere a few millimetres from the bearing cup and then try blue tack, or what would you advise. At the moment I’ve removed it and actually prefer the sound with it on completely against the bearing cup🤷‍♂️

Have a nice day. I’ll eagerly await your reply (or anybody’s for that matter)

1 Like

May have found one on eBay who is probably willing to sell me the sKale separately​:+1:t2::+1:t2:

Hi Pieper,

My laptop threw a wobbly but I’ve replied to you via an alert e-mail sent from the forum’s software. If you don’t receive it just let me know and I’ll re-post here.

Regards,
Mark Dunn

Unfortunately he didn’t want to sell… bit of a downer… but not the end of the world (that’s reserved for Corona and us)

Unfortunately I didn’t receive your post…
But really, thanks for the effort…

Another thing… I have set my Linn to 180 gram LP’s… in order to get the weight as correct as can be for lower weight records, I’ve bought three 45rpm adapters: 20/40 and 63 grams… I know that most lower weight records will be a bit thinner, which muddles up VTA, but my plate cover is actually a two piece part:

This one with the holes in it is 1 mm, I’ve got the two mm thick one, without the holes on the Linn… so I could bring the thinner records up a mm… would have to eight the sheet firs… I know, I’m an idiot…

I’ve also got the original filt platter sheet and also the millennium carbonmat, which could be used two ways round, but as far as I know the carbon should be facing down and the filt towards the record…

Got the weights in today…
Two are 20 grams, one of which will go back, because on of those should’ve been 40 grams… have ordered another which is promised to be 40-45 grams (both weight numbers are given in Amazon👍🏻)… the other is 52 grams… it’ll have to do…

Anybody here know which of the leads in the nsin aro cable is the positive and which the neutral one? There inner or outer?
Ich Gott eine Mini xlr I want to attach to the aro

Nsin?
Should be Naim…

I’ve got a few mini XLR I want to put to good use…

1 Like

I’ve not take one apart, and I’m afraid I’m not going to do so in order to answer your question. I have suggested a simple continuity test, which should give you the answer. Otherwise, I suggest you email Naim and ask them for advice. Clive, who built the Aros, would probably be able to assist.

Hi Mark,

On a slightly off topic subject, although still related to the Aro, I’m looking to use a heavier than recommend cartridge- do you have any experience or thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Nige

Engineers level

Hi Nige,

Assuming that I’m the Mark you’re referring to…
How heavy is the cartridge you plan to use? I have a DV XV-1s which is 12g and with a Tiger Paw sKale with both additional weights fitted the sKale is fairly close to the bearing cup. Do you have the heavy ARO counterweight or a sKale, or just the regular ARO weight?

The ARO was designed with the Linn Troika which weighs 7g, in mind. The standard ARO counterweight is moderately close to the cup with that pairing.

Regards,
Mark Dunn

Hi Mark,

Well I’m hoping you’re the right Mark - ie the Aro expert.

In anatomy your questions:
Yes I’m using a sKale with both extra weights.
Current cartridge - Koetsu Rosewood Signature (9g)
Intended cartridge - Audio Note Io II (19g)

So it’s a it of a jump in weight, and I’m wondering on the consequences of it.

Also, I’d love to have a link or copy of all your Aro set up info​:grin::grin::grin: as I’m relatively new to the Aro.

Thanks in advance

Nige