Innuos Zen Mini - a Journey into Streaming Audio

Ah, I’d forgotten the wanting to use the DAC…

Sure.
The presence of a DAC kind of guides your thinking in a certain direction, whether that be a nDAC or maybe any other USB DAC.

Can you see any other solutions - for the user requirements - regardless of DAC or not.

Frankly, I’d go for the best Innuos product you can afford and keep it on the network for both systems, whether using Sense or Roon.

And get a good backup solution in place.

But the big advice, as always, is to try for yourself with a dealer offering good support.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks, it sounds like you’re getting some SQ benefits from getting your streamer off your linksys and router so it’s hard to say how much of the improvement can be attributed to the Zen Mini. Thanks for sharing your experience.

There is a John Darko piece that discusses this and other interesting points. That might be useful for you.

Go to the Innous website
Find Zen mk3 product page
Scroll down to bottom of page, look for reviews
Find review no.5 : A short film about the Innuos Zen mk3

In the film, he makes reference to : (1) other Innuos server products, up and down their range ; (2) other non Innuos server products ; (3) use of Roon Nucleus. (4) also touches on the argument for using a dedicated audio server, (instead of NAS or PC based solutions).

Hope that’s helpful

KR
R

Thanks that was informative though I’m still not sure how I would use this thing and if I would still need my NAS. My library is just under 4TB with 6K albums so I think the 4TB version would work.

I see the Zen has its own app but would I still be able to use the Naim app (upnp)?
I see it handles subscription services but I’m on a legacy streamer so would I still have to run bubble soft for Qobuz lossless and minimserver for RP lossless? Having a dedicated ripper would be nice but my library is ripped and I’m mostly buying hi res digital files from Qobuz now so that’s not something I really need. It’s priced less than the PhoenixNet which is interesting as I’ve been giving it some consideration as well. I did a lot of experimenting with switches and have landed on a catalyst(poe for streamer side) set up that I find to have a nice noise floor. I assume the QNAP is contributing some noise degradation but I wonder how much and how much I can improve it by moving to a Zen.

Glad that helped add something, even if just a little.

I think I could guess some answers, but only based on some product knowledge, (and logic), rather than actual experience.

I’m sure someone with actual experience will come along soon and offer an informed opinion.

Good luck with your HiFi journey :+1:

KR
R

Great thread, thanks for the heads up on it @ratrat

You’re very welcome :wink:

It always nice to get different input and opinions on these things. We’re all in it together.

Good luck with your own journey.

1 Like

Good morning,

I bought a used Innuos Zen Mini MKIII,
I turned it on and connected it with Innuos instructions,
I entered “my.innuos.com” browser and immediately saw me Zen,
it was at version 1.4.1, it asked me to update it to 1.4.9,
during the updates he asked me several times to explain it,
it got to 1.4.7 and it seemed stuck and then I didn’t see Zen in my network anymore,
shows error: No Innuos Servers found
I have tried all the alternatives suggest by Innuos but nothing, my net does not see zen.

I ask for help please,
Thanks.

Mauro (Italy)

You can easily contact Nuno on Innuos site. He responds quickly and always solves the problems.

Try power cycling the zen and your router… to reassign IP address

I’ve done it many times but nothing happens,
i read that if you stop the update everything crashes and only innuos can solve it,
now I wrote to them … let’s hope
thank you

If it’s any consolation, I have the same issue right now with my Zen Mk2, wanted to update in increments to get to new Sense, and mine went so far and is just doing the “Wheel of Death”, went like this for about two days, just let it go. Finally I just shut it down and is no longer seen on My Innuos.

Haven’t had time to get a trouble ticket in yet….Hopefully I will be able to get things going again, looking forward to the new Sense app, as I really was not keen on the iPeng, but it worked. It has been pretty flawless for the three years or so I have owned it, one of the easiest pieces like this to set up. An IT/computer guy I am not…ugh.

Really nice system and room!

1 Like

Thank you. That’s appreciated.

It’s taken a journey of a few years - thinking and planning - to arrive at this set-up in our new home. Our intention was always to make the records the real stars. To lay things out in such a way that all the records are on display and easy to browse. Just pick out a record and plonk it on the player. So minimal boxes and cables and such like. Focus on the music.

As a result, we deliberately went for shoe boxes. And they’re so cool.

Also, the whole system is a homage to an earlier time. A classic vintage system, etc.

I’ve always liked your listening room too. I remember seeing you’ve done a similar thing. The larger Kallax units can look great in open spacious rooms like yours. I do love the simplicity of a Nait and a LP12. Some lovely bits of design flair in your room too. Like the bench. Nice open and fresh space to chill and relax to music. A room has to be a relaxing space too.

I love music. And I love the boxes that make music too. But I also live in the real world and would never allow a HiFi to take over a space, if you know what I mean?

Back on topic, for this thread…
After a few weeks using just records in the room, we realised our initial idea of vinyl only was maybe flawed. As we began to miss our large CD collection. Neither did we want to have a wall of CD’s in this room. So, the marvellous little shoe box Zen Mini we have ordered will allow us to play 1200 CD albums, from one small box. Leaving the room as you see it.

It’s all about the music :notes:

5 Likes

Oh that’s quick, it took me until last summer, so a few years :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

To be more precise, at the time we had decided on analogue-only. Yet that included 70% of our listening time via FM with a Naim tuner, many wonderful listening moments. Then they switched off FM last summer. So reluctantly digital had to make a come-back and I haven’t sorted that out yet. Will report on the current project elsewhere/later but am inspired by your Innuos thread.

In your case I could see two extra dividers happening in the Kallax-es. One to include the Zen Mini and its PSU, another one for the 72 and a DAC-V1. I had one of those and was really happy with it, also provides headphone listening which you don’t miss until you’ve tried it. Lovely machine, shoebox size, affordable now, and since you’ll use the nDac elsewhere a good alternative.
It would mean some stuff in there has to be relocated to a different room. I went through that exercise over Christmas sorting out the 2x4 Kallax in the back room and the main large 4x4 Expedit (the original) in the living room. One tends to collect things for the sake of it and its useful going through the cupboards every few years or so.

Great write-up and thank you for the kind words, good luck with this new journey.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re a fellow “hoarder” :wink:

Indeed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update…

Our friendly dealer has been in touch to say our new Innuos Zen Mini mk3 + LPSU has just arrived in from Portugal. That’s a wait of just two weeks from ordering. So, not too bad at all. Apparently, they normally arrive sooner, but usual challenges of material shortages and production affecting them a little, (same as everyone else). Plus, order was received just after the Christmas and new year holidays, when firms always need a few days to catch up.

Currently making a plan to get it home and set-up.

5 Likes