Innuos 2.0 - Innsights

SSD’s aren’t the problem, it’s the CPU and RAM. As software becomes more advanced its demand on the CPU and RAM increases significantly. Hence the reason computers and phones have a shelf life, they run out of processing power to run the more advanced software.

How well will it respond to multiple users at same time. My family all uses Roon and we can all be using it at the same time in different rooms. How Innuos manage all this is important to me the experience needs to be slick all the time in this scenario. SW is one part of the puzzle the UX is another and it needs to cope when in demand. I don’t spend money on software of hardware for it be limited to one space.

Whilst the software is fairly sophisticated I don’t think it’s actually that demanding. I build PCs periodically but for my own purposes I’m using an 11 year old processor and doing lots of graphics intensive stuff and audio production. I’d be very surprised if my Zenith lasted less than 15 years.

Still not sure of the limit being made though.

Well, Sonos recently designated a lot of their gear as, “Legacy” as it was no longer able to handle new firmware software upgrades. The software became too big to run on the older hardware (ran out of memory). They now have a bunch of older hardware that works for now but no longer gets updated. The day a streaming service changes their API and it will no longer work on the old gear. Some people had their gear less than 2 years. I was fortunate that I’d had my gear 10 years but it meant I had to trade it in on their discount scheme.

What I learned is that streaming tech is quick to become outdated. The gear will work but you can’t be guaranteed updates, which is a problem when it comes to streaming services

I use Adobe CC, FCP X and Motion 5 for work…I tend to upgrade every 3 years… 5 years at max as the graphics cards and cpu etc become too slow as new software etc advances.

Edit… just to put things into context. 15 years ago smart phones didn’t exist. The very first iPhone was 2007 and we all know how much has changed with software and hardware over that time. I think 5-10 years is more realistic lifespan before tech advancements mean a change of hardware is required for transport / streamers. Another good reason to separate DAC from Transport.

2 Likes

Yes but an increasing number of manufacturers first gen streamers etc. were not upgradeable whereas their second gen stuff invariably is. There are still no guarantees but the great thing about devices like the Zenith are that, wurst case scenario, a decade from now I might want a different DAC and replacing the streaming element will be cheap as chips.

Not sure why we’re including Sonos in an audiophile discussion :slight_smile: :grinning:

1 Like

If you like what’s in the new Innuos does I can’t see how you don’t like Roon, as it already does all of that and more. It also work across multiple platforms and has excellent music discovery. Innuos may replicate some of that but it is only putting it’s toes in the water and it only works with innuos devices. If Roon kicked sand in your face as a kid I get the dislike but otherwise it’s something to aim at for everyone else. The more competition the better. Bring it on. If Roon sounded as good as innuos I’d be very happy

A lot of members elsewhere find Innuos sounding better without Roon. Roon is great for convenience and information, but apparently a limiting factor for optimal sound quality. Not my opinion however, just what I often read actually.
Melco audio choosed also to not integrate Roon for that reason.

2 Likes

They added Roon as an option for an endpoint just recently did they not? So cant be that bad. They cant add the server as there hardware is way underpowered it would just choke.

It may not sound as good on Innuos but it sounds as good on most platforms. Many discerning users on here using Naim and Roon that would not be happy if it didn’t sound right. Not sure how much difference there can be between one bit perfect playback and another. Using Innuos as a Roon core and Roon player breaks the first rule of Roon, sperate core and endpoints. Computers are noisy and no matter of LPS, memory buffers are going to change that. It’s why Innuos use them in the first place as their hardware is noisy.

Many Naim users use only Qobuz…Convenience and nice interface is the priority for most.
Members with Nd555 and Melco don’t use, generally, Roon. Because it sounds a bit less good.

2 Likes

And some ditched Melco in favour of Roon. Swings and roundabouts. As some have ditched Melco for Innuos and vice versa. Doesn’t really prove anything other than people are fickle.

1 Like

Have never read that…but all is possible. Roon and Melco or Innuos are 2 different things. You choose Melco,Innuos, Antipodes…in order to have the most silent server possible. These are expensive hardware with special care on noise isolation, quality of the ps, casing, network inside switch, clocks…
Roon is not hardware.
It’s not the Server inside the Innuos or Melco which is better to Roon, the problem is Roon integrated within them that decreases a bit the sound, because it’s complex, with a lot of processing, and introduces noise.

1 Like

Not accurate. I’ve now tried Roon in experimental mode on Innuos. I’m no fan of Roon but sound wise it’s outstanding.

MichealB ditched Melco for Nucleus and Roon. I have read on here people switching from Melco and Innuos to.

I can’t say if it’s accurate or not, just what I often read ( audiophile style and Whatsbestforum) from members relating their experience.

You also read here. It’s been said repeatedly here.

Yes, here too.

He didn’t ditched Melco for Nucleus. Just tried Melco and didn’t liked it.
I didn’t liked Melco first too at dealer place. But discovered later that it was not well configured…

It is accurate. Just using Roon with innuos sounds much worse, because it doesn’t play through memory. Using experimental mode is much better because it does but using the Innuos player without Roon experimental mode is better again. Roon interface is excellent but using experimental mode is a slight compromise on sq. I’ve just stopped using it for that reason

4 Likes

Glad to not feel alone sometimes :joy:

2 Likes

I can’t put a like on your support too, @T-elmi :laughing:

1 Like