Innuos 2.1.0 Direct TIDAL Integration into the Music Library

The DAC in the 3800 does not support MQA itself. The inbuilt streamer does the first unfold only so no hardware support. If I play the same Tidal track in Sense and with the inbuilt streamer, I see MQA where I should using all bitrates but with sense it defaults to 16/44

Just to be clear. Do you mean if you use sense to play via UPnP to your Lyngdorf streaming section MQA works? But when you go direct via USB output of the server into the USB of the Lyngdorf it doesn’t?

If I use Tidal connect with the internal streamer MQA works. If I use Sense with the Innuos into the USB connector, it doesn’t

Then sense is likely not acting as an MQA decoder and as your DAC isn’t it won’t go higher than the native container its wrapped in. Or Sense is actually not picking the MQA streams to send on, or somehow it’s breaking the MQA signalling. Tidal app will perform the initial MQA decode to 96/24 or 88.2/24. It doesn’t mention MQA decoding in any of their blurb for the Innuos only that you need an MQA DAC to get the full resolution which is its self ambiguous as that could mean it is a decoder and that you need the DAC to be an MQA renderer or you DAC needs to be bother decoder and Renderer. MQA requires 3 stages, MQA authentication, MQA decoding ( or the first unfold) then MQA Rendering. The latter needs an MQA DAC capable of doing this, the former can be performed in software or DAC.

I would ask their support if it is actually an MQA decoder or is their a bug here.

Hi thanks. I agree. I’m pretty sure the issue is with Sense not the Lyngdorf. Otherwise, why is the internal streamer seeing MQA and doing the unfold? I’ll put a support request in to Innuos

The album you used as an example is a 16bit MQA file not 24bit. Looked in Roon and it’s only shows it as 16bit MQA. It should still decode to 88.2/24 as all MQA decodes to 24bit regardless of source bit depth. What it then renders at is DAC dependant and is often hidden in the black box of MQA. What DACs report for MQA is not always what it’s going I have found. One of my DACs just gives the ORFs and the MQA symbol. But what level of further upsampling is being done is not shown. Some DACs will 2x, 3x, 4x or more. First unfold is always to 2x the ORFs which is counter intuitive when the ORFs is 44.1/16 which this is. My DAP renders all MQA to the highest sample rate the DAC supports

Some MQA capable devices if they receive the stream as the first unfold from other software won’t show the MQA signal in the same way as they can’t authenticate it. If DACs show ORS instead of it’s only performing the rendering part. One thing I am not sure of with Innous implementation is if its acting as an MQA decoder to perform the first unfold or just passes it through for a full MQA decoder to handle.

On a diffent note, had not heard of the act you posted, listening now and liking it.

1 Like

Got logged out of Tidal on Naim. So tested again on Innuos and now plays no problem.

However on stored music and Tidal for some reason cuts out the last 10 secs of an album.

No problems here after latest update.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.