Innuos phoenixnet and melco owners

Hi
Quick question, how are you connecting these up?
A, from phoenixnet to melco and then from player port on melco to dac.

B, connect both melco and dac to phoenixnet.

C, different to above.

Be interested in what you are doing and any advice going.

Cheers dunc

I found everything has to go through the Phoenix……the Melco direct to dac may be OK in the absence of this low noise, reclocking switch. But for me you need everything to be switched through the Phoenix imo.

1 Like

Cheers for the reply.
I guess i need to try both ways, but connecting the dac directly from the phoenixnet, does that now mean i need to adjust any settings on the melco now?
Plus i take it i just no longer use the player port, or do you have to connect that also to the melco?

Cheers dunc

No adjustment to the Melco as far as i can remember on mine, i just plug and play from the lan port.

But you can’t connect a network to a DAC as you can to a streamer, as DACs don’t have renderers or ethernet sockets, or is there something I’m missing here?

It’s a DAC with a streamer board so network connected.

Dunc, just to be clear my system is.

Router to Phoenixnet, Melco lan port to Phoenix net, Phoenix net out port to ND555. If as I have tried, Melco to ND555 via the player direct port……you miss out on the benefits of Phoenixnet…….and the Melco direct was not as good to my ears.

3 Likes

So a streamer not a DAC

2 Likes

Gazza has a ND555 which is a streamer (with DAC functionality) and Dunc has a DCS Vivaldi which is a DAC with streamer functionality.

1 Like

Almost i now have the dCS vivaldi dac and upsampler, but it doesn’t really change anything as far as connections

Ah yes - changed it to Vivaldi…

Your profile doesn’t give much away. Have you borrowed a PhoenixNET to try ?

So in common parlance they are both streamers (or as Naim calls them network player) with the option to use just the DAC stage…. My point was that it is not really right to refer to either simply as a DAC because a plain DAC would need either to be fed direct from the Melco’s USB output, or have a renderer (sometimes called transport) in between it and the Phoenixnet (or Melco ethernet output). But all is clear now.

1 Like

I deleted all my gear from my profile, as its like a shopping list for anyone thats looking for the wrong reasons.
I managed to pick one up for a very good price, so can move it on for no loss if it doesn’t work for me

I’ll be interested in how you get on with the PhoenixNET.

1 Like

Yes will see how it goes and report back

1 Like

+1

1 Like

Gaza . I have a Phoenix net due for demo in a few days. Router to net in is obvious as is net out to ND555 but my query is should my Core but plugged into Net out?

1 Like

The Phoenix will switch and re-clock all inputs……to the only source you have. So the Core should go through the Phoenix……but try yourself.

1 Like

You’re going to love it

2 Likes

I have a zen mini, ee8 switch and a Phoenix usb into my chord tt2. Will I see a benefit replacing the ee8 with Phoenix net bearing in mind it is only going between my router and the zen (fibre between router and switch)