Innuos Zen Mini - a Journey into Streaming Audio

The WStreamer is a pure network bridge and connected to my Naim nDAC via coax cable. I am using Roon to manage my local library and Qobuz subscription and the WStreamer is a Roon Ready endpoint.
Before buying the Waversa, I also looked into the Innuos platform since I like the form factor of the Zen mini but my impression was that it is better suited for local streaming and I listen to Qobuz quite a bit. Also, my entire CD collection is already ripped and stored on a HDD, i.e. the ripping part of the Zen Mini would have been of limited value to me.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say that, the Zen supports all the services you get on a Naim streamer including Qobuz and runs the Roon Core.

1 Like

To be honest, I have not seen or tested the Innuos platform in detail. When I bought the WStreamer, I already had a Intel NUC serving as Roon Core and was only looking for a Roon endpoint.
If were to look at the Innuos platform now, it would be as a replacement for Roon. But since I am reasonably happy with Roon, there is no immediate urgency.

@toscana
Your last two post this morning are intriguing. Plus kind of relevant to our future interests.

Having seen a few, the Innous Sense App is pretty good as UI. I have used Roon in the past and think it is brilliant. So, thatā€™s my end goal for UI. But I intend to take my time and build things up in blocks. One step at a time.

Compact streamers
Iā€™ve just been studying the details of the Waversa WStreamer product, on this Japanese brand website. It looks like a really nice piece of kit, well made and feature rich. Like the idea of being in a solid machined case. Also option for both USB and Co-axial.

Like you, we already have nDAC in the house. Although itā€™s a great DAC, the lack of USB input leads to creative thinking for ā€œwork aroundsā€

Anyway, did you consider other sub Ā£1k streamers, maybe like the BlueSound Node 2i or the Primare NP5 Prisma ? Any anything else? (I guess your thinking led you to products that were Roon ready, as an end point)?

For us, our obvious default choice might be Naim ND5 XS2, to go with CD5XS - DC1 - nDAC, (considering form factor too).

However, while ever we have the nDAC, we might not need the internal DAC inside the ND5 XS2 if used as transport only ??? Hence thoughts about ā€œtransport onlyā€ alternatives?

Roon as UI
Roon is also of interest too.

We are doing all this from the reverse direction to you, having first acquired the Zen Mini to rip and serve, not stream (at least initially), locally in one room only. With the loose idea to add Roon to the whole house later. Where as, you already had all that in place and wanted to add streaming, (with Roon).

Further along, we wish to add Roon as the main UI across all devices, in the house. Iā€™m already looking at options, so our future steps and journey allow us to arrive at that.

Iā€™m not so sure I will use the Zen Mini as a Roon Core. I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to give this charming diminutive box this extra and sizeable job.

My thoughts were to use a well specified NUC, with SSD storage, as core. The easiest ā€œoff the shelfā€ solution might be the Roon Nucleus.

Then several devices - as end points - around the house. Zen Mini kept in one room, used as local player, and as Roon end point.

In another room, adding a suitable high quality streamer, again, and as Roon end point, etc.

So those last two posts are interesting

@ratrat
Thanks for your post.
Before upgrading to my current system I used to own a Unitiqute2 which I really liked but it was built on Naimā€™s old streaming platform (i.e. no support for Roon or Tidal Connect etc.). My local library was stored on a Synology NAS running minim server. While I believe the Naim app does the job, some of the functionalities as well as the integration of streaming services is not quite as slick as it could be, at least when using the old Naim streaming platform.
When I started to look into Roon, I really liked the interface and the more or less seamless integration of a local library and streaming services. My first Roon endpoint was a RPI4 with an Allo DigiOne HAT (with Ropieee installed) plugged into one of the digital inputs of the UQ2.
The next step up was purchasing a used Naim nDAC. So for a while, I was running a RPI4 into a nDAC and then into a UQ2. That was not necessarily a balanced system and I finally sold the UQ2 and replaced it with a NAIT XS 2.
Before I finally bought the WStreamer, I compared it against the RPI4 w/DigiOne HAT and the UQ2 (which I still had at the time) via rooUPnP. For me, the WStreamer came out on top in that comparison and I went ahead with the purchase. Since then it is running (as a Roon endpoint) in my system without any issues.
To be honest, the WStreamer is quite expensive for what it is, especially after the recent price increase. It offers Roon compatibility, Airplay and UPnP support but not much else (e.g. no Spotify or Tidal Connect). But it does the job and I like the sound and build quality.
For some reason, I did not look into the Bluesound Node at the time but sometimes feel tempted to give it a try. BlueOS seems to be one of the best streaming platforms at the moment and the Node is quite affordable. On the other hand, I am not sure it offers more than the WStreamer as a Roon endpoint (which is my use case).
I was also seriously thinking about a ND5XS2 but was not sure if the improvement in sound quality would justify the significant investment. There is also no way to use a IR remote control for basic commands such as play or pause.
This might be old-fashioned but using a remote control (in addition to an app of course) is really important for me. My entire system (including TV) is controlled by a Harmony remote control and there is a fantastic little extension for Roon that allows full integration into my Harmony remote system.
In my modest office set-up, I still have a RPI4 as Roon endpoint connected to a Topping DAC and a JDS Labs headphone amp. Another advantage of Roon is that you can easily transfer a playlist from one endpoint to another. I.e. when I am done listening to my office system, I can easily transfer the playlist to the living room and continue the session there. RPIs are a fantastic and cheap way to add Roon endpoints throughout the house if required.
One final note on the Innuos Zen: while it can be used as a Roon Core, it is not a Roon Ready endpoint as far as I know.
A long story, but I hope some of this makes sense.

1 Like

One more thought on the Roon Core. The Nucleus is probably the easiest solution but as far as I understand it is essentially a NUC in a nice box and for that I believe it is way to expensive. I decided to built my own NUC based on the specifications provided by Roon. The setup requires some tinkering (e.g. with the BIOS of the NUC) but once it was up and running, I had no problems at all. Depending on where you are located, there are local vendors (e.g. smallgreencomputer, prime computer) who offer pre-configured Core systems priced somewhere between a DIY NUC and a Nucleus.

1 Like

Circling back to interconnect cablesā€¦

Over past few days, we have been using the Innuos Zen Mini, exploring its various features.
Amongst these things, also tinkering with the few loan demo cables we have here.
(Plus, ripping a few discs along the way, as a background activity too).

Weā€™ve already noticed subtle differences between the cables.
At some point, I do intend to sit down and do a proper listening test, (rather than just tinker).

I should probably decide on 2 or 3 test pieces, from the discs we have ripped so far.
Without thinking about this too much, I could always go to my default, which is - The Blue Nile : A Walk Across the Rooftops (1984).

All or any of side one will do -

• A Walk Across the Rooftops
  • Tinsel Town in the Rain
  • From Rags to Riches

This has served me well over the years - listening to new bits of Hi-Fi - since the mid 80ā€™s.

We have it on both vinyl (an original Linn Records pressing) and later CD.
I would love to add the recent 2018 remastered version. (Must get around to doing that). Which format though, CD or Vinyl ? Hmmmm.

2 Likes

Just chillingā€¦
(Whilst ripping more discs)

Ambient. Music to suit a certain mood.
Kraftwerk, Brian Eno, Tangerine Dreamā€¦
To more recent ambient electronica.

In this case, the very chilled Aphex Twins - Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (1992).

Thinking about William Orbit next, or maybe some Sylvian Czukay ???

5 Likes

Sadly Innuos support seems to be by email now(?)
It took 11 hours to get a replyā€¦that didnā€™t help much
Not sure whether companies generally quite realise the value of quick telephone support - it was so with innuos before.
Not sure what naim support response time is as Iā€™ve not called them for many years.Then I donā€™t have their streamers etc!

Sadly, In the modern era, most first line human support (for anything technical) is now none existent, being online FAQā€™s, self service, download docs, etc.

For Naim, Iā€™ve found (a) my Naim dealer (b) this forum, as the very best source of help and support. Iā€™ve sent technical questions - by email - to Naim on occasions. It takes days for a reply, but the replies are usually quite thorough.

Support. Also, customer service more generally, are interesting topics.

1 Like

That Aphex Twin album is first class. :+1:

1 Like

There is a telephone number listed for the UK under ā€˜Contact usā€™ +44(0) 2475 200 210, Mon - Frid 9am - 6pm. Is this number no longer in use ?

I rang about 10am Friday but the lady said to send an email and someone would ring
I just got an email from them sent at 11pm.Not sure whatā€™s going on to be honest.
I generally find that if Iā€™m with the relevant equipment I can understand and tick boxes change settings bit by bit verbally than being sent links to what may or may not be relevant. Perhaps thatā€™s just me!

1 Like

They also have an active FB page, Innuos Listening Room and Owners Group, very helpful and a lot of user knowledge. What was the problem youā€™re trying to resolve ?

Didnā€™t know about thoseā€¦ thanks.
Iā€™d changed to a tp mesh WiFi setup which is great but cocked up innuos sense and Sonos across 5 rooms.
Lots of swearing but got there on the end. A call back would have helped.

2 Likes

Selected ambient works vol 2 makes vol 1 a full on rave in comparison. I listened to vol 2 constantly when I was working to cancel out noise backgrounds. So going to vol 1 was quite a change.

1 Like

Apologies if Iā€™ve missed this but did you settle on a Chord interconnect in the end?

Yes exactly! Sometimes it is easy to forget that those that only do local streaming have a ā€˜source firstā€™ that requires a slightly different approach to set up. One must consider the rip quality and the delivery chain (UPnP over LAN or WIFi or USB etc).

One other issue with this that could be considered ā€˜majorā€™ depending on your attitude to how you want to listen to your music is how ā€˜convenientā€™ this type of source first is or can be. I have a U-Serve at the moment, which is rip and forget, but like many others, following the Zen path maybe the solution for me later due to price and sound quality.

Looks like ratrat has found his Nirvana as well as Zen. Its always pleasing to hear positive results when so many people can have unsatisfying streaming setup experiences.

2 Likes

Thanks for the interest and enquiry.
Too busy at work, so will aim to reply in full as soon as possible.

Still intended to respond, when time allows.

1 Like