Innuos Zen Mini MK 3 - Feedback Request

Actually, yes, you are right, it now has 2 ports, so the direct connection is possible. Sorry for the confusion!

Good topic - the fact that Audiophilleo is integrated into the Naim DAC V1 is the reason I bought it. I haven’t done any detailed comparisons of USB vs spdif, but what I am interested in is if there is would be any perceived difference in having a Innuos, or other high end streamer / server, infront of the V1 DAC. Jitter is only 10 psec on the Naim V1, so other than the functionality benefit has anyone any experience of audible benefits, or does Audiophilleo solve it?

p.s. very good soundstage from the DAC V1 IMO

Soooo…from what I have learned so far I believe I can use an Innuos with my Nova in at least three ways:

1. As server

Connect to the Nova via Ethernet and control it through the Naim app, Innuos would act as a server for locally stored music. Tidal could be played back through the Naim but not in MQA quality.

1. As streamer

Connect it to the Nova DAC via the USB or s/pdif and control it via iPeng. Stream fully integrated Qobuz or Tidal (in MQA as the Innuos is capable of) to the Naim and also locally stored music.

1. As Roon Core

Connect it to the Nova as under 1., install Roon Core on the Innuos and use the Naim as Roon endpoint though the Roon app with the Innuos as source as well as Tidal (with MQA as Roon can do the first unfold) or Qobuz.

Is any of this correct and if yes, I wonder which options sounds better? I presume option 2 is the one that greatly benefits from moving up the ladder of Innuos products as it’s mostly using built-in features.

Just trying to wrap my head around the various options.

I now have unDRed recently serviced 552/500. Zenith into NDAC is exceptional good. Better than Zen or Mini. I don’t have the slightest desire to upgrade now. The Naim streamers expend much on transport and then into the a DAC chip. I know the ND555 has better implementation but.

The Innuos products have top class ripping. So no trouble at all. Just as it should be.

Phil

Hi, that’s about it, although…

It would need to be SPDIF, not USB, as Naim streamers wouldn’t support it (although they do have USB inputs for other purposes.)

I don’t know if the Innuos supports MQA via its Tidal integration or not, although Roon does the first unfold.
As for which sounds best, you would just have to try it. I don’t own an Innuos server, just in case you think I’m an expert! I’ve used one a few times at my dealers as I was considering it as a possible replacement for my Unitiserve if it dies.

Yes you are correct. I have a mk2 zen mini and it does the first unfold of MQA into my Nova

I think (1) and (3) are correct, I’m not sure about (2)

Just a quick update…

Currently have a Zen Mk3 on loan for a week and found it did nothing to my SQ (compared to my Synology NAS) that justifies the additional 2k EUR cost. Using the dedicated Ethernet connection / streamer output on the Innuos and did a series of A/B testing of stored music (.wav format). The soundstage on the Innuos is probably a bit wider and there is a tad more bass control. The downside of the direct connection is that I need to remember to have the Zen turned on as otherwise the Naim won’t work. I don’t want to add a switch…

The ripping comfort is a different story though, so quick and the metadata has been spot on with every CD I fed it. Using roon core is tempting as well but I feel that for me the Mini Mk3 might just be enough.

2 Likes

@anon91053523, There is a another user with a Nova reporting on the spdif stuff

Phil

Like @obsydian, I have upgraded to 1.4.3 and it fixed the NAS backup problem. I wasn’t expecting there to an improvement in sound quality as a feature, but there most definitely is. I begin to think that 1.4.2 introduced a degradation which I certainly heard which I thought was just the state of burn in of my preloved 552/500 as it got better and better. Sometimes just turning up the volume a bit brought out more.

I’m now playing

Which is sounding like it did the first time I played it back in early March. Later it became a bit flat but not now. A lot of what we call sound quality is about soundstage/imaging and this work is now revealing so much more and is now so exciting.

So in future I will be a bit more careful before upgrading.

All this after turning the system off last Tuesday because of being away during what turned out to be a spectacular thunder and lightning overhead. I expected to have to wait at least 5 days.

Phil

1 Like

Good to here, I am finding 1.4.3 a good improvement especially in terms of more detail.

1 Like

Me too, an unexpected boost.

I have to say that, good though my old Melco sounded, it’s not a patch on the Innuos. Ease of use is light years ahead.

1 Like

Is the any difference in the sound quality of Innuos rips to flac compared with WAV?
Innuos servers provide the option although recommend flac because of the transferability of metadata to other platforms.
The user guide also refers to zero compression with flac rips but this isn’t the same as the absence of compression like with WAV.
I know that many people prefer WAV but rip files to flac and then convert on playback. However Innuos servers don’t do this so it’s either one or the other.

on my melco i hear no difference between flac and wav. Same for the unitserve i had, however i preferred sometimes aiff on it.

1 Like

I didn’t test the difference between Innuos rips to FLAC and WAV. It plays both via USB to SPDIF into nDAC.

Phil

I set my rips to WAV, but also have allot actually majority FLAC, with the Innuos the gap is closed.

If there is no difference why do you rip to WAV rather than FLAC which is the default on Innuos servers?

Because our man Richard likes WAV.

Thanks for the non sequitur.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.