Innuos Zen Mini MK 3 - Feedback Request

It looks like it could be a piezo crystal next to the CPU, but can’t read anything to confirm it, or it could be some sort of optical isolator. SPDIF galvanic isolators are often small high frequency transformers… I can’t see anything that obviously resembles this, however with galvanic isolators you don’t need one at each end of a link, so if the other has an isolator instead such as the DAC , you shouldn’t have an issue with ground loops.

Hi Simon, I have looked at my nDAC reference and can’t find mention of galvanic isolation on the spdif. Do you happen to know?

The unit I have is maybe 3-4 years old. I suspect it needs a new battery in the PurePower and is possibly faulty because it doesn’t seem to charge when no music is playing. The spec suggests that it has a keep going strategy!

The Audiophilleo has an amazingly good sound stage. The Zen Mk 3 with M2Tech HiFace 2 sounds a bit bright by comparison. The HiFace 2 on the Zenith sounded noticeably less bright. I think this comes down to the better power supplies of the Zenith.

Phil

Hi, I can’t remember, but I know the NDX SPDIF outputs which I used to feed the NDac was isolated so I never had issues.
You need to see if the chassis, and SPDIF ground is open circuit with a resistance meter… perhaps someone on here can confirm.
Simon

1 Like

Just found a pic - there are isolation transformers behind the BNC/ RCA inputs on the Naim DAC so yes, those inputs are galvanically isolated.

1 Like

Thanks James and Simon. Even with the Zenith on the ring main rather than the dedicated supply there has been nothing noticeable. I like the sound. It is detailed and relaxing.

I really don’t understand why my CDX2 has not been as good. What I have learned is that the Audiophilleo direct connection approach eliminates cable issues (according to them). I have tried the DC1 recently which I preferred. Such a hassle having to experiment with cables.

Phil

I found this block diagram of the the Audiophilleo and PurePower work together. It does seem to have its own galvanic isolation between the USB side and the spdif. I think my earlier statements out what the PurePower powers (clock and output) were correct.

If you want to read their description use the link.

http://www.audiophilleo.com/PurePower/Specifications

Phil

I’ve had a few issues with charging which resulted in emailing their support. Luckily they got back to me at lunchtime. The advice was not to use Roon for the moment and try this alternative way of cabling with separate USB inputs to the two boxes. So I borrowed a USB cable from my wife’s computer printer and powered the PurePower off the Innuos Zenith Backup drive USB port.

What was a real step in SQ just got better. Don’t know about whether if sorts out the technical problem, but like the sound uplift. Definitely feeling everything is heading in the right direction without having to buy a streamer and use the App.

Phil

Can you conclude that usb port sound better vs spdif/ usb converter? ( on the zenith)

Hi FR, I’m connecting the Zenith USB DAC output to the Audiophilleo and the PurePower separately to the Zenith USB Backup port as a source of power only. The Audiophilleo BNC output hangs on the nDAC BNC input. Audiophilleo provide a BNC to BNC connector. No cable and little opportunity for signal reflections.

Sometimes people buy very expensive digital cables whose only effect can be to improve the signal quality in some way such as reflections. Maybe my CDX2 wasn’t sounding as good into nDAC because of this, but even the Naim DC1 didn’t make a big enough difference.

Phil

what is the function of the purepower? a power supply? anti jitter?

Yes, reading some recent posts above for details.

Audiophileo with purepower costs around 1000 dollars. So more than twice the cost of the dc1. Should be interesting to compare to a similar price cable, like chord signature tuned array digital.

I got a half price one. Fingers crossed it’s ok.

Phil

All is working well with the Audiophilleo + PurePower Mk 2 now installed on the nDAC, which has been put on the bottom shelf while the Zenith sits at the top. This way the Zenith is well away from sensitive HiFi!

The PurePower is now connected to the nDAC rear USB port from which it draws power only when there is no music playing. There was just enough room for the Audiophilleo but I really need a 90 degree USB B connector through which the music is streamed.

Most importantly the SQ is even better with this arrangement of the boxes on the digital rack. In particular when I used a 3m Ethernet cable I was able to move the Cisco 2960 further away from the HiFi, which made a noticeable SQ improvement to the mid to high frequencies. It’s really quite amazing how much more detail is revealed. Sounds which just seemed odd now make sense. I was not sure about Mary Black’s Shine but now the metal sounds of guitars and other hard sounding instruments are very beautiful.

Phil

we have all different experiences. For me, at least, the cisco 2960:

• benefits from being away from the router
  • benefits from having a good rack or shelf
  • benefits from having a good quality power cord and powerblock.
  • the sound is better when the cisco is connected to the same powerblock as my hifi components, than when connected to the standard powerblock for the tv, router…
1 Like

I’m a bit puzzled: IIUC you’re running Zenith USB to Audiophilio to NDAC. Where do ethernet and switch come into it? Or is the Zenith accessing a NAS across network? I thought the beauty of products like Zenith is to be able to store music in it, functioning as a store-renderer and thus no need to stream music across a network, and therefore completely oblivious to network cables, switches and their power supplies.

the zenith works as a uniticore for instance, connected to the ndac. It is connected to a switch also. But i am sure you know that, so i misunderstood something…

What I meant is, it doesn’t need to be connected to a network, as it can store the music itself - so no need to worry about network effect on sound quality.

but it can stream too, using qobuz or tidal. In that case the network is involved and the quality of this network has an impact on the sound.

IB, It needs the network

1. for communication with the App, but can be disconnected once playing
  2. for accessing music on any network shares
  3. for whatever Roon wants which could be streaming from TIDAL or Qobuz etc.

Phil