Innuos Zen Mini MK3 to Zen MK2 to Zenith MK2

I have been buy the ZEN Mini MK3 and will be connect to Naim Unit Atom by LAN cable.

1 Like

Its designed if your using the Innous as the streamer as it’s uses Squeezelite and is said to improve squeezelite playback. If your using the Nova as streamer then it’s negated as Squeezelite is not used. You would need to use the Nova as a DAC and need a usb to spdif converter.

1 Like

Hi i was in parallel talking to Innuos they said pretty much the same :+1:

I may try the Roon Core with Squeezelite Player (Experimental) option, but i am happy with my current setup and Roon, as last night went off at a tangent into the artist info, linked to their social media and uber cool was upcoming concerts and direct links to tickets.

1 Like

So rushed home :shushing_face: to try an experimental setting Innuos advised, but cautioned not stable due to Roon support, I must say clearly bettter, bonkers amount of micro detail.

Found this in the old Naim Forum archive and followed it.

1. Disclaimer - this is an experimental feature which may have occasional dropouts. It uses the Squeezebox integration within Roon which supports only audio up to 24bit/192 and DSD64. Quarantine and Import will be disabled as they require the internal LMS to be active and that would conflict with this feature on Roon.
  2. Go to Settings > Choose Server Integration
  3. Activate the Roon switch then select the option “Use Roon Core with Squeezelite Player (Experimental)”
  4. Click the Apply Changes button
  5. Launch the Roon App
  6. Go to Settings > Setup
  7. Activate the switch for “Enable Squeezebox Support”
  8. Go to Setting > Audio
  9. Disable any players shown under “Connected to Core”
  10. Enable the Squeezelite player under Squeezebox.

So restricted to 192, but sounds DAMN good, unchecked the flac compression did not notice anything.

How are using it with the Nova?

As the instructions above, ethernet, change the innuos to Roon Squeezelite, then tweak the Roon Settings, e voila.

1 Like

Interesting overview comparison of LMS and ROON at:

I only recently discovered the material skin plugin, referred to in the article, which gives a major improvement in the UI on my desktop PC.

Orange Squeeze is my preferred app on andriod devices.

Interesting swapped to my tablet, allot more options, I hate apps that do that, but anyway guess what I spotted … I renamed the Squeezelite as Naim Zenith.

I have also nudged the volume down a bit on the Nova.

Sorry confused here, this is only if the Innuos is playing back via USB or if its got spdif out? So are you doing this, hows it connected to your Nova as it has no USB in?

Tablets have more real estate and higher DPI and Roon was designed with tablets in mind and they do recommend it, I use both but mainly my phone as its always at hand. You can on a tablet increase how much is shown as well. Its in one of the menus cant remember at hand which one as not at home. Does the same on the phone to so you see more albums. Although the phones view is gimped,

No USB, ethernet from Innuos to Nova and the setting instructions, also checked with Innuos, they just caution it is experimental, prone to drop outs, I am 4hrs in and so far no issues.

I think you might have this wrong. I don’t understand how this can work. The 4gb memory buffer is for Squeezelite. Squeezelite is a local playback software on the Innuos that mimics a squeezebox which you add to Roon as such in the audio section and this is its own endpoint. This itself cant stream to the Nova by the network input its for local playback only unless they are doing some magic here I am not getting. Looking at your remote you have only added it as an extra endpoint and whats playing is from the Nova’s built in Roon player which wont support memory playback.

I agree but something has changed for sure and the only settings I changed I mentioned, too much a change for a placebo effect.

I did drop Innuos an email, actually many emails today, must say support wise very good.

It can’t change it as it’s not used in your chain for playback. Using Roon to the Nova can only be from the inbuilt player in the Nova that’s RAAT direct to Roon core that’s how it works.

This article decribes the LMS Material skin:

It does say RAAT in the stream detail and no mention of the Squeezelite

Exactly. The Innuos Roon player is for streaming only via the Innuos itself to a DAC connected via USB, not to another Roon endpoint. There for you are not getting anything more than you were before. It’s just not possible.

Innuos and Roon server don’t know what is beyond the USB only that something is connected that provides an ID string.

Roon itself is programmed to explore strange new worlds searching for Roon life that understands RAAT which the Nova does. It probably explores both the Streamer port and the LAN.

Who knows other than Innuos what goes on inside as it is proprietary although presenting a Linux appearance. Does it matter as Innuos don’t give access to the internals in order to offer something that works reliably. The LMS is preconfigured and they warn against enabling other plugins or altering settings.

Phil