Innuos Zenith MK3 or alternatives?

Maybe not something they want to publicise, they responded to me in writing when I enquired, not sure if the same would apply to the PhoenixNET hence the suggestion to check with Innuos.

That’s something I’ve pondered but I’ve been unable to gauge how it compares to a Zenkth M3.

Still, it’s a very interesting option.

Thanks.

Get a demo if you can - most dealers are pretty helpful and Innuos UK will help them fill in the gaps, though you may have to wait a bit before a demo model becomes available.

I really would do this whatever anyone else says. Something that inspires one human’s “yeah!” can easily provoke another’s “meh?”

Which is not, however, to dismiss the impact of the PhoenixNet…

1 Like

I’d always agree with a demo but I’ve yet to hear a meh from anyone who has tried a phoenix net

I’d be surprised too, but the issue here is for example Zenith 3 w/o PN vs. Zen with PN…

A demo is obviously desirable, preferably a home demo where the PhoenixNET is in the mix. I would also ask Innuos their views, that’s what I did before demoing. I’m unsure what the availability of Innuos kit is like down south, in Scotland you would have very limited options for a demo.
The Zen has one less LPS than the Zenith but you pick up two in the PhoenixNET, the drive is HDD as opposed to SSD in the Zenith. I’ve owned both, running the Zen with a Nova, it’s a good combination. As always it depends where you see yourself ending up system wise.

Ha, a pertinent if difficult question to answer.

I enjoyed my previous Zenith when it was hooked up to my Nova, so I’m more or less set on this being the obvious route to go down.

Regarding the Nova, this is a piece of Hi-Fi I bought almost as a probable stop gap after I moved on a raft of separates in varying permutations two years ago. However, I really like it - it’s functionality and form, and superb SQ - and I’m in no rush to replace it with what seem to be the oft discussed options: an NDX2 and SN3 or SN2, with the usual power supply add-ons thrown into the mix.

I moved into this current house under a year ago, and the two most significant additions since then have been an 80s vintage LP12 with some tweaking, which I really enjoy.
Plus a 5.1 set up, or rather a centre, two rears and an AV amp to add to what I already had.

As said in my OP, I’ve got 1TB of tunes languishing on a ext HDD, and I’ve nearly another 500GB more of CD to rip to a new server which is where the Zenith or similar comes in.

My listening is usually divided fairly equally between vinyl and digital.

Ergonomically, I’m running out of rack space (a sideboard and basic shelving combined), so I’ll need to think carefully about where to place a Zenith or Zen, let alone a PhoenixNET.

I live in between Leeds and Sheffield, and so there are some Hi-Fi dealers I can access for Innuos kit, with a view to demoing if needs be.

1 Like

I agree the Nova is great, I had two running in different systems at one time. I had a Zen and now the Zenith, both are very good, given your rack space constraints the Zenith would be a good solution. You are fortunate in terms of your location. Good luck with your decision.

1 Like

I enquired about adding the PurePower to my AP1 MK2 SE, pretty much no chance, I think the owner kinda gave up through lock down and the chip saga.

Wish I had not swapped from my AP2 + PurePower.

1 Like

I’ve still not come to a firm decision regarding the Zenith, which is unusual for me, as I don’t tend to dither when it comes to buying something I can afford and think I need.

However, in this instance I’m still factoring in the possibility of a Zen MK3, with the possibility of adding the PhoenixNET at some stage. Or even holding off altogether and going down a different route and going to a Melco and cheaper ripper/CD drive to make it functionally more what I need. Or a CDP or CD transport!

Furthermore, I’ve been streaming music this last week or so (Apple Music over AirPlay to the Nova and via my Apple 4K TV into the Denon AV which passes it on to the pre-outs of the Nova when I’m streaming 5.1/Dolby content) and pondering how much better locally stored music on the Zenith or Zen would sound? Obviously, I can’t accurately or reliably recall this from when I owned a Zenith before, and streamed from Qobuz.

My current ext HDD stored music piped into the Nova’s front USB slot sounds pretty good, too. So this has got me thinking about how much I’ll gain from the Zen or Zenith.
I did a bit of A/Bing between my ext HDD tunes and Apple Music and found the gap hardly chasms apart. The Apple Music was better the longer I listened, though.

I also then played a few CD albums on my Sony UHD player and compared these to the rips stored on my HDD (ripped on my previous Zenith, as it happens). These tracks sounded better than both Apple Music and music stored on my HDD playing from the USB slot on the Nova.

All the above, is a rather convoluted way of saying I’m not sure which way to turn: a CD transport or a Zen/Zenith or both?

Forgetting, just for now, all the other considerations (convenience, aesthetic appeal, CD accumulation, price et al) I’m not entirely sure which option would deliver the very best SQ for my circumstances in my current system set up.

Then leave it alone, stick with the Nova, if you need something quicker maybe a Samsung 1TB SSD.

1 Like

Another solution may be the Zeni Mini, about £1K, which has the option to add the matching power supply for £600. This may keep your costs down and get you over the hump of ripping your discs leaving funds for investment elsewhere in your system if needed.

1 Like

Or forget ripping and get a Pulsar

1 Like

I started out with a Zen Mini & LPSU a couple of years ago before moving swiftly to the Zenith Mk3.

It was pretty good, from what I can remember.

1 Like

Ah, I do need ripping though and 2TB minimum of storage.

The Zen/Zenith has improved USB function, which you won’t use with your Nova, also you don’t need the improved streaming function as you will use your Nova. The Mini might be a more suitable match when not viewed in isolation but as an addition to your system.

1 Like

That’s a really good perspective to have as I’m pondering going forward. I hadn’t thought of it in that way. Thanks.

1 Like

Several years ago I had an interesting chat with a guy from Innuos, my interest being in a potential replacement for my Unitiserve at some point. He said I should just stick to a Zen Mini as I was using it as a network server only and there was no need to spend more if I wasn’t going to connect it directly to a DAC.

(Cue howls of protest from Innuos Statement owners :sunglasses:)

3 Likes

Good to know as I’m considering adding one for just that reason connected to Nd5xs2 via Ethernet I assume. And I’d been wondering if the mini would be enough.

1 Like

This is exactly what I would expect and good that they said the same. I guess they may have changed their stance a bit now they are flogging the PhoenixNet :wink:

1 Like