Try this…

sudo chmod 755 squeeze2upnp-osx-multi-static

if this works then try this…

sudo ./squeeze2upnp-osx-multi-static -i config.xml

Some success:-
I am now getting this:-

Thanks.

Getting closer :grinning:

Looks like this is something to do with your “Security & Privacy” settings in System Preferences. Have a look in the general tab in Security & Privacy and change/check that the settings allow apps to be downloaded from “App Store and Identified Developers” then try again

This may work or there may be something else on your Mac stopping the particular application executing?

Jack,
It worked!

I made the change in Security & Privacy settings to Anywhere (had to enable that via Terminal command) an it worked. Thank you for your support.

I now need to figure out the rest…

Thanks.

No problem :grinning:

Let us know how you get on, you may also get a firewall prompt to allow incoming connections which you need to allow. And make sure to switch Squeezebox support on in Roon

It sound like you are nearly there.

You should see a newly created config.xml file if all is well. This is why you ran with the -i config.xml which you only need to do once. This creates the file and also discovers your players.

After this it didn’t work for me until I changed this line in the file

<roon_mode>1</roon_mode>

In the default config file the value is set to 0 and I found it needed to be set to 1.

Thank Jack and trickydickie. I have it working now. I need to play some music now to test it out.

I also had to enable roon in the config.xml file as stated above. After I had it running i saw 3 SqueezeLite endpoints in Roon. I did not like that as it was not clear which one was for the NDS. Looking at the config.xml I figured it was creating these for each of the Sonos devices on my network. Anyway I switched was able to switch them off in the config file and renamed and enabled the NDS. I have Roon playing in NDS now.

I now need to create a start script to get it running when I start the laptop. Any direction for that will be appreciated. Does it create a log?

Also, what will happen when the Macbook sleeps?

Thanks again for all our help.

ASenna04

I run Roon on a MacBook, and if it goes to sleep, Roon will continue to run, and remains discoverable as long as I remain logged in. How this would work with LMS I couldn’t say.

The LMS to Upnp keeps running when my iMac sleeps.
I restart it manually when I reboot the iMac.

I would be interested in script as well to tidy this up.

CK

Hi AS,

I would be interested to know your thoughts on sound quality verses normal UPNP streaming, now you’ve got it working. I and a few others here use the Sonore Upnp Bridge and it sounds like you have the DIY equivalent.

Keith

I use lms-to-upnp and compared extensively before buying the lifetime subscription. Any worse sound quality would have been a dealbreaker for me.

To my ears with local music Roon sounds identical to the same files served up as UPNP from Asset.

Where there is a difference is with Tidal. This now sounds as good as local streaming and better than the BubbleUPNP solution. Admittedly with Bubble I wasn’t transcoding which probably accounts for the difference. This takes Tidal quite a bit ahead of Tidal played back through the Naim application.

This was with an NDS.

3 Likes

KRM,

I was encouraged by trickydicie’s observations to pursue this path. Also the simplicity of it and the fact you don’t need another hardware. I will be playing some music over the next few days and report back. The initial findings are it is sounding very good.

Meanwhile I would be grateful if someone can guide me on how to put together Mac OSX LauchDeamon script to execute the command when I start my Macbook. I would like to set it up and forget about it. I guess I can monitor it in ActivityMonitor if I need to.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks both, same here.

In blind tests with the family, they consistently chose whatever I played second :blush:

Keith

1 Like

I am also searching the way to make the automated script for mac os x to run squeeze2upnp on boot. Anyone can please guide us to make it or even better if someone’s got it please paste it here.
Many thanks in advance. It is a pain in the ass to start it manually as it involves using terminal two times etc.

Hi @macpinty @ASenna04

I used Automator to build an application which referred to lms … static and then config xml on same line. See below:

I then added this to login items in users so starts on start up.
A bit of a kludge but it works, my only issue is rotating wheel in top right of address bar which I cannot suppress.
Used ‘Run Shell Script’

/users/…/util/UpNpBridge/squeeze2upnp-osx-multi-static -Z -x /users/…/util/UpNpBridge/config.xml &

Hope this points you in a usable direction, perhaps someone more IT literate can chip in and improve.

Regards

CK

Oh thank you. I have a question: you have to wait 30 seconds for the first command ( LMS/Plugin/bin/squeeze2upnp-osx-multi-static -i -z config.xml ) to finish and then launch the second one( without flags). How do you express that 30 second pause in a command shell ? Many many thanks

Hi

You only need to run the command with flag for config once which writes the config file to disk.
This identifies your players etc, this file then may need to be edited to include roonmode>1< etc as per @trickydickie above.

Once you have done this, the command does not need flags and it reads the saved config file to process so delay not required in Automator ‘batch’ file.

CK

I didn’t know. Now seems much more easy to do. I 'm gonna try. Thanks again Ceexkay !!!

Well is not that easy as I have thought. For instance if I go to my lms folder/plugin/bin/ and just double-click the squeeze2upnp-osx-multi-static the shell is executed but the config.xml isn’t read.(ERROR READING CONFIG FILE) So If I need my config file to be read I have to go to the long route: terminal cd…/cd lms/cd plugin/cd bin/squeeze2upnp-osx-multi-static. Then the config.xml file is actually charged. Will you be so kind as I am not a software geek to tell me how to write a script to follow that path and execute the shell

Hi

I used Automator which is your application folder.
Create new document
Application
Find ‘Run Shell Script’ in Actions and click
In the window that appears type
‘your full path to’ /lms/plugin/bin/squeeze2upnp-osx-multi-static -Z -x ‘your full path to’ /lms/plugin/bin/config.xml &

I typed the above all in one line
then save file as application with Name say LMSbridge, this will save as application.

This application can be run by clicking.
The above assumes your config file will be in same directory as the executable. An alias can be created t put this on your desktop to run manually or open users login items and include it there for running on startup once you are happy it works.
You should see a rotating cog wheel in RHS of menu bar if working.

Trust this helps

Regards

CK