Integrated Amplifier for Monitor Audio Silver 300 Speakers

The av bypass should only come into play when using ht when just listening to music Denon can stay off

Hello Nick,

Volume at 12 o’clock?!! I can’t go much past 9.30 where it’s very loud, ok occasionally but not for extended periods. There is a very small range around the 9 o’clock position where it comes alive, which did surprise me, something I’ve not seen before on other amps.

As @sandman922 mentions the Denon is only part of the signal path when using the AV input, the AV Bypass on the back is always on. So the Denon is switched off most of the time.

Speaker cable is 2 x 2m Chord Shawline X with Chord Ohmic silver crimped banana plugs both ends. These are connected to the top treble inputs on the bi-wire terminals on the speakers. I have tried the bottom terminals and diagonal (suggested on the Chord site).
Interconnect is the standard Din that came with the streamer.
Cheers
Mark

2 Likes

Hi Mark.

I think the Shawline is probably just fine — doesn’t set off any alarms, to me. I will defer to more-experienced members.

I have only ever used Shawline interconnects, and Chord Calypso speaker wire - all fine.

My dealer has always soldered the banana plugs, no matter which wire I have bought from them.

Best,

Nick

Thanks Nick, a lot of the music I like to listen to I like to play pretty loud, Floyd, Wagner, The Who, Metallica (occasionally!) etc, so it’s something I’m keen to sort out.

Interested to hear you’re using Shawline interconnects in your system. I had been looking for something between the standard cable and the hi-line. I was thinking of trying the Morgana that people are enthusiastic about on here. If the Chord cables are good on a system at your level then I need to add them to list for future possible improvements! More fundamental problems to solve first though!

Cheers,
Mark

I’m wondering whether the cabling behind the cabinet could cause the kind of issues I’m experiencing?

I have tried to tidy and keep them apart but maybe I can do better, it’s tricky with the number of cables going into the AV amp!

It is worthwhile getting the cables positioned optimally.

In my Naim system, I only use Naim lavender interconnects and NACA5, now. I have not done much A/B testing, but like the current results, and being at a good reference point to try alternatives.

The Shawline I do have is for connecting a Nakamichi CR-3A, which does not get much use these days.

I do use Shawline speaker wires with soldered bananas between my Denon AVR-4800 and Totem Model One Signatures.

Best of luck.

Nick

1 Like

I think I can rule out the cabling, on Sunday morning I disconnected everything and completely removed the AV amp from the unit, along with the centre speaker for good measure, and moved all it’s wiring well out of the way.

I also unplugged everything else from the mains ring that the amp is on apart from the router. The kitchen and utility appliances are on a separate ring.

I haven’t noticed any difference so far, especially with the main issue I need to solve.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.