Interesting interview with Naim's Jason Gould

What’s interesting here is not so much what Jason is saying (most forumites will be aware of what Jason’s saying), but more hearing Terry Ellis ("Pursuit Perfect System”) being educated on Naim’s approach and philosophy.

Also interesting for those who doubt the benefits of ‘Uniti Core’ to hear Jason comment on how it is an integral part of Naim’s streaming systems, and the main reason why I committed to the Core and no longer use my NAS for streaming audio (in addition to the Core sounding better than my NAS).

ATB. George.

1 Like

Well he would say that, wouldn’t he. It’s his job to promote Naim.

8 Likes

I trust his integrity more than that and I also trust my own ears.

ATB. George.

2 Likes

I skipped through to the end and found the Core talk reassuring.

3 Likes

Not that you can tell anything from a video but he said he is doing a follow up video that is over an hour long of the full range comparisons.

1 Like

Always trust your ears. If sounds better it is.

I went the other way, ditching HDX-SSD for QNAP/Minimserver.

There is no universally correct solution. If a Naim streaming system sounds at its best with a core, it might not to the next person with another setup in a different room.

2 Likes

Agree Harry - I also previously had a UnitiServe SSD - both out perform my Synology NAS (with either Asset or Minim Server). Main reason for change to the Core was the improvement of the Core over the Serve.

Given that my NDX2 and ND555 were both developed by Naim using the Core as a the server, I take additional comfort that I’m replicating the development conditions as closely as possible with my systems.

I’d certainly recommend folks trial the Core and assess the SQ differences for themselves. Only then can they make a reasoned judgement I feel.

ATB. George.

2 Likes

I agree. It’s an endless source of amusement how many of the Forum elite bag the Core whist idolising older generation streamers, computer drives and cable upgrades, but don’t follow a source first/noise isolation approach.

3 Likes

Full comparison video just been uploaded for those that are interested.

Thanks Popeye!

1 Like

I’m sure the Core is good, but I can’t go along with the analogy with repressing a vinyl record. If Naim made the vinyl restorer Jason outlines then I’d place my order today. Jason still seems to imply the Core does a better rip than accurate rip.

My problem with the Core is the software design. I didn’t like having separate areas for downloads and rips. I was unhappy with the flexibility of its metadata editing. These are not sound quality issues, but I like to ba able to add lyrics and edit any entry with the same app whether they are rips or downloads,. When I heard the Core I found it every bit as good as playing from JRiver on my Mac mini so no issues there, but JRiver gives me a better user experience. A shame as I liked the Core hardware design.

Guess we know when the Quboz update is expected. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

TiberioMagadino “…can’t go along with the analogy”.

That’s the challenge with analogies - they’re never perfect - merely illustrative, and not to be taken literally!

I have no problems with separate areas for rips and downloads (actually no more fuss than some of the computer based solutions that people use), and given that I prefer the sound of the Core (and Naim developed it specifically for use with their streamers), I’m more than satisfied.

ATB. George.

4 Likes

Enjoyable interview and demo - I’m surprised that I could hear the upgrades over Airplay to my TV that is plugged into my system.

1 Like

Couple of interesting things in the interview. Jason advocated using WAV and forgetting about FLAC “as storage is so cheap”. Maybe that’s why Naim haven’t bothered with on the fly transcoding from FLAC to WAV in Core.

And he advised using Samsung SSD in the Core. I thought that I read somewhere that he/Naim preferred HDD in Core because of higher sound quality. I wonder whether they have changed their opinion.

I haven’t got round to listening to the whole demo recording yet, so I don’t know whether there were other insights from there.

Best

David

David,

It was specifically based on feedback from Jason (via my dealer) that I had Samsung 960 Evo SSD fitted in my Core when I bought it late 2018, and based on feedback from my dealer (and others), this SSD is giving better results than spinning discs in the Core.

Agree that this advice seems contrary to initial advice on early Cores (when they were first released), but I guess it’s OK to re-evaluate from time to time.

ATB. George.

I wonder if an NDX2/555PS fed from a core would beat my error correcting CD555/555PSx2?!! I remember not long ago Darkbear mentioning he preferred (in his system and based on his individual musical preferences for what he likes to hear) the CD555/555PSx2 to an ND555/555x1 but I believe only just. The NDX2 and Core come out at a similar price to one of the CD555PS…

I do love my CD player however and love the process of playing CD’s. Still interesting to hear Naims view though.

1 Like

There has been discussion here before about the new Naim streamers showing less, or even no difference between FLAC and WAV, and my experiences with an NDX2 support that. So if anything, I’d say maybe that is the reason they didn’t put on the fly transcoding on the Core. Or maybe they were in such a hurry to release it during the much delayed new Uniti release saga that they just forgot!

Yes it’s good to re-evaluate, but my point was only that I hadn’t heard Jason saying that before.

I use a Samsung SSD in mine, having swapped from a HHD after a few months, and it is a much better option than a HDD in imho.

Best

David

3 Likes

They got the Core out about a year before anything else.

There were much more serious omissions initially, including there being no way to edit metadata on Core rips!

I actually doubt they forgot transcoding. From TJ’s reaction when I mentioned it during our recent visit to HQ, I think they just didn’t/don’t think it’s important. Personally it doesn’t bother me because I always use WAV anyway.

Best

David

1 Like