Interesting interview with Naim's Jason Gould

TiberioMagadino “…can’t go along with the analogy”.

That’s the challenge with analogies - they’re never perfect - merely illustrative, and not to be taken literally!

I have no problems with separate areas for rips and downloads (actually no more fuss than some of the computer based solutions that people use), and given that I prefer the sound of the Core (and Naim developed it specifically for use with their streamers), I’m more than satisfied.

ATB. George.

4 Likes

Enjoyable interview and demo - I’m surprised that I could hear the upgrades over Airplay to my TV that is plugged into my system.

1 Like

Couple of interesting things in the interview. Jason advocated using WAV and forgetting about FLAC “as storage is so cheap”. Maybe that’s why Naim haven’t bothered with on the fly transcoding from FLAC to WAV in Core.

And he advised using Samsung SSD in the Core. I thought that I read somewhere that he/Naim preferred HDD in Core because of higher sound quality. I wonder whether they have changed their opinion.

I haven’t got round to listening to the whole demo recording yet, so I don’t know whether there were other insights from there.

Best

David

David,

It was specifically based on feedback from Jason (via my dealer) that I had Samsung 960 Evo SSD fitted in my Core when I bought it late 2018, and based on feedback from my dealer (and others), this SSD is giving better results than spinning discs in the Core.

Agree that this advice seems contrary to initial advice on early Cores (when they were first released), but I guess it’s OK to re-evaluate from time to time.

ATB. George.

I wonder if an NDX2/555PS fed from a core would beat my error correcting CD555/555PSx2?!! I remember not long ago Darkbear mentioning he preferred (in his system and based on his individual musical preferences for what he likes to hear) the CD555/555PSx2 to an ND555/555x1 but I believe only just. The NDX2 and Core come out at a similar price to one of the CD555PS…

I do love my CD player however and love the process of playing CD’s. Still interesting to hear Naims view though.

1 Like

There has been discussion here before about the new Naim streamers showing less, or even no difference between FLAC and WAV, and my experiences with an NDX2 support that. So if anything, I’d say maybe that is the reason they didn’t put on the fly transcoding on the Core. Or maybe they were in such a hurry to release it during the much delayed new Uniti release saga that they just forgot!

Yes it’s good to re-evaluate, but my point was only that I hadn’t heard Jason saying that before.

I use a Samsung SSD in mine, having swapped from a HHD after a few months, and it is a much better option than a HDD in imho.

Best

David

3 Likes

They got the Core out about a year before anything else.

There were much more serious omissions initially, including there being no way to edit metadata on Core rips!

I actually doubt they forgot transcoding. From TJ’s reaction when I mentioned it during our recent visit to HQ, I think they just didn’t/don’t think it’s important. Personally it doesn’t bother me because I always use WAV anyway.

Best

David

1 Like

David, very true I ordered a Core the day they were released but still had a wait of around five/six months before it was avalible this after a lengthy demo at my dealer and as you say there was no editing facility to start with.

Being a complete computer numpty I do like the Core and with all the updates since its release it does all I want editing wise and is easy to use.

At the time SSD drives were horrendously expensive compared to todays prices I opted for and still use a Seagate 2TB video HDD which has performed well and is totally silent in operation back up is to a Seagate 2TB HDD.

In the last week I have removed my NAS from my network as I it is no longer used everything on my iMac is backed up to in the Cloud plus I back up to a separate HDD using Time Machine fairly regularly which is stored away from the house.

1 Like

I bought mine without a demo. I think I was about the third person to order it from my dealer. To start with I used a Seagate HDD but I didn’t like how hot it got. And I could hear the drive running, but that’s mainly because it is not far from my ears in my study (!) and so it was annoying me when I was listening in there. So I bought an SSD, partly to give me an excuse to transfer everything from my US again, as I was engaged in a long discussion with the people at Salisbury about the undesirability of the Core ignoring user edits in imports from US. That was something else that got fixed when they added metadata editing.

Now my Core’s SSD is nearly full and so I have bought a bigger one and I need sometime to swap it over and restore from my backup. In the meantime I’ll keep enjoying the music!
Best

David

2 Likes

After a couple of months my first Core got hot on two occasions when ripping and cutout my dealer rung Naim and spoke to Jason he immediately agreed to send a new one.

The new one was dispatched and installed within three days and has performed flawlessly since remaining a lot cooler than my first one when ripping a lot of discs which does not happen as much these days.

3 Likes

Mine has worked fine through lots of beta testing except that from new when I first power it up, it often sits there with the lights on doing nothing, not responsive to any button press and not on the network. I found if I turn the power off and on again instantly, it boots up as normal. I emailed Phil for advice and after chasing him twice, eventually a month later, he just said “take it back to the dealer for a service or replacement”.

Anyway I didn’t do that and I still know that if it doesn’t start when I plug it in, it needs a quick interruption of the mains to sort it out. Otherwise it’s been fine. (A friend tells me his Core which is a similar age to mine is the same incidentally, so that feels like a bad batch of relays or something).
Best
David

Perhaps Jason tries to uplift the sales of the Core after its fiasco beginnings.
I think personally that something like an nd555 deserves better than the core.
I find the entry level Melco better sounding with my nds vs my past unitserve / linear ps and uniticore I tested.
There are 2 better models of Melco in their line, vs mine.

Strongly disagree - the Core is ideal for ND555 - I speak from personal experience as I run this setup. Bear in mind that the ND555 was developed by Naim using the Core, and makes an ideal pairing.

Personally, when I auditioned Melco, I found it listless (overly mellow) and lacking character - certainly not for me (IMHO). Others may love it - YMMV.

ATB. George

5 Likes

The Melco servers are reassuringly expensive of course…

5 Likes

@Darkebear, @Meni, @Bart, @BertBird, and some others use a Melco with their Nd555.
When I auditioned first the Melco, it was uninvolving. I discovered that Direct mode was settled by default. Without that mode, the Melco came to life.

I wanted to like the Core, it looks good but it’s expensive for what it is. It surprises me that at the time Naim were making their new kit Roon ready they didn’t build Roon functionality into the Core.
I bought an Innuos Zen to replace my Unitiserve. Great sound and gives me Roon.

3 Likes

I could have written about Innuos too. They are on the same level as Melco.
Uniticore is not bad, is musical, with Naim prat and nice case. With an nd5xs2 or bare ndx2, it’s a good product.
But the Nd555 deserves better, like Innuos Zenith SE, Innuos Statement, Melco n1z or N10.
Only my opinion, but shared by some here.

1 Like

No doubt they learned that from Naim, given that they have one or two ex-Naim guys in key positions.

Isn’t there a Core Firmware upgrade in the works with new functionality? Will be interesting what tricks are up the sleeves.