Interesting TV

I have enjoyed The Diplomat on Netflix. A second season has been confirmed. All about a newly appointed and unconventional US Ambassador to the UK. Set in the present day, sort of.

13 Likes

Completely agree bhoyo. Utterly brilliant and essential in my view. In particular the way that this season embraced the notion that narrative trumps truth in modern politics.

1 Like

Caught it on iplayer… thought it was a scheduling error at first and they were streaming some cheesy day time quiz show.

2 Likes

That was their plan.

The listings and the end credits from the previous week’s episode had shown a new episode called Hold on Tight.

That had to be pulled at the last minute however and was replaced with the 3 by 3 ‘pilot’.

2 Likes

That explains why the ‘up next’ listing on the AppleTV app had a picture of three chaps on a bus for the episode which made us believe it was the wrong program… clever chaps :joy:

1 Like

Well that’s a big ending, Ted Lasso The Marvellous Mrs Masil Barry and Succession all finished within a week.

1 Like

New on Netflix - a drama series in 8 parts, on the Fukushima Nuclear accident, in Japan.

Absolutely terrifying. I would recommend it highly. It is very well done, I think. The chaos within the Japanese government and inside Tokyo Electric Power is brought out - with people being unwilling to take responsibility, to pass on ‘bad’ news upward - or to make clear decisions.

Recommended - but maybe not enjoyable…?

Have at least a quick read of the Wikepedia page will help in following what went on -

4 Likes

IMG_0944

This was just starting on TPTV. It was announced with a PG certificate! How was I allowed to watch it back in the day? I must have been having a rougher childhood than I realised!

15 Likes

Is that Fireball XL5 - a classic.

7 Likes

Steve and Venus looking nothing like Gerry and Sylvia. :grinning:

6 Likes

6 Likes

It is. This was in B+W too. For the hard core classic TV fan!

4 Likes

We’ve been catching up on Scott and Bailey on Britbox. It’s a Manchester-based drama centred on two female detectives. We’ve enjoyed it but got a bit confused at the end of series 3. The second to last episode (7) is missing. There’s lots of comments online about this but no clear reason. Does anyone remember why?

1 Like

I really like this. I’m three episodes in on Apple TV.

3 Likes

2023 series of The Motorbike Show started tonight.

No idea it was coming. As usual.
On the backwater that is ITV4. As usual.
Changed the day of the week it’s on from last year. As usual.
Good fun. As usual.

Still one of my favourite programmes on TV. And I have no interest in owning a bike.

1 Like

Is it a documentary or drama.

I’ve watched a few Japanese produced documentary.

Looking at the Wikipedia description. It doesn’t actually describe the main reason for the meltdown.

Mrs Pete and I really enjoyed Shrinking on Apple TV+.

2 Likes

It is a drama, based on what happened, at Fukushima Daiichi.

I do not think there is a Wikipedia page for The Days - but the Wiki pages on the disaster itself are pretty comprehensive - in my view… :thinking:

Fukushima Nuclear Disaster - Core Meltdown

Clearly, YMMV… :expressionless:

We just watched the Raul Moat mini series on the BBC, I can’t believe that prick had over 30k followers on his Facebook page. He was just a cold blooded murder not worth a fart.

2 Likes

There has been a limited release of some of the very earliest Anderson shows in colour, Supercar, Four Feather Falls and Fireball XL5 . Six episodes in all

2 Likes