Interpreting forum stats? 🤯

Profile - hungryhalibut - Naim Audio - Community and scroll down
It seems I have to try harder although I am showering you with love (but others have been at it longer I guess)

God I had no idea I was on HH’s fan club. :grin:

Indeed you are a bit mean with your likes considering you have about 20k likes

.sjb

1 Like

The unrequited fan club ?

1 Like

Apparently likes aren’t cool. I do miss dan_steel he had a great knowledge of Aussie music and was very generous with his likes

5 Likes

Is being generous with likes better than not? Do you appreciate likes more when you get one from someone who issues them sparingly?

Good question (and deep) not sure but I think the forum might just be a better place without them.

Speaking of missing people does anyone know what happened to @igahman , haven’t seen a post of his for months. Hope he’s ok.

2 Likes

I’m not sure, John. When I see an album or a post I think is particularly good or useful, I tend to reply. To me, bothering to think and then making the effort to write something is far more meaningful than showering someone with thousands of likes, especially when they are just posting a picture of some album that everyone knows already. Brothers in Arms. 20 likes in the bag. Kerching! The Eagles. Another 20. What possible value does that have?? I have to say, however, that it’s quite nice to get likes when you’ve posted something, but it’s something I just don’t feel driven to do, except rarely. I love everybody!

1 Like

Personally I give likes when I like, but it may be because I agree or to show that I have read the post of someone.
So 3 different reasons to put a like.

6 Likes

Sometimes a like is worthy if a post genuinely contributes something to a thread and the forum as a whole.
Some of the images posted in the show us your flowers thread (for example) are of superb quality - with some considerable effort taken no doubt.

1 Like

It could be a reflection of what you post and it’s relevance .

I like certain parts and certain themes which bring me into contact with “familiar faces” , funny thing is as time goes on, you feel you would really like to go down the pub with them simply because they are people with a lot in common with you.

4 Likes

For me, this is your best and most accurate post ever!

Glad to read you love everybody, however your 300,000+ posts read and only 94 likes given might suggest otherwise!

I am pleased you find it nice to get likes, so why not be a bit more giving for the fine reasons FR gives? It won’t devalue the ones already given, as making them ‘rare’ doesn’t add extra or special value. As the recipient of 2 HH likes, I appreciate what I have been given, but then I do for every single one I get.

Having said all that, you are at least a cornerstone of the Forum, and maybe if you gave more, you might be more liked, whether that is important to you or not.

9 Likes

I wonder how different we would find some people compared to the mental image we inevitably form over time…
of course some people have experienced that in the past, when a group visit to Salisbury was arranged. I bet there were a few surprises!

4 Likes

Fortunately, I’m getting younger mentally each year……

2 Likes

At what point did it become a social expectation to ‘like’ stuff.

1 Like

Do people become more liked (in the true meaning of the word) if they give more ‘likes’? And are people concerned as to whether others truly like them, especially if the cost of becoming liked is to say you like things they’ve posted?

I’m glad you’ve mentioned him, I thought of him the other day and meant to post but forgot to do so.

Hope you’re ok, @igahman, do check in!

Edited to fix stupid predictive text (well, stupid user error really I guess)

2 Likes

This is just a bit unavoidable i think since likes are basically like any other type of currency, by introducing a measure of value into a system you automatically create an economy.

What is interesting to see on larger forums such as on Reddit, is that over time likes – or karma as it is called there, since you can both up and downvote there – attain real life value. Reddit accounts that have accumulated a lot of positive karma over time are being sold for actual money, and the amounts can be substantial. For example:

https://accsmarket.com/en/catalog/reddit

1 Like

Likes sometimes are the only communication between members, let’s be honest we’re all human and we all have feelings. It’s nice to know that you’re at least been acknowledged.

8 Likes