Invisible metadata

Linn have come back again and said it is indeed the file name length coupled with the pathway. In this case the pathway is really short in my setup, but the file names are really really long. They say it’s a limitation that applies to Windows but not to Mac, which maybe is why some are not seeing a problem. Once I’ve checked I’ll let them know so hopefully they will keep file names shorter for future releases. I know I’m pretty clueless but I suspect some are even more clueless and may think they have bought a dodgy album.

I heard about the issue of long file names when I was checking out the Innuos Zen Mini Mk3. I found out that Innuos software automatically truncates long file names when importing files. I did a check on all my files before I imported them (using Kid3 and SongKong) and found that quite a few classical albums have very long file names. However Innuos did a great job of managing the import so that when I got Roon I had almost 100% of albums identified and with the correct metadata. I believe Innuos do this truncation because of some limitations in Windows standards.

Cheers, Ian

Just to bring this little story to a close, and with help from a lovely lady at Linn, who sent me downloads with truncated filenames, I’ve worked it out. It wasn’t the long filename at all, but the way Linn send the download. Once in the ‘Downloads’ folder, in order to get to the 192k files, you have to navigate ‘Trevor Pinnock, Royal Academy of Music, The Glenn Gould School’ then ‘Goldberg Variations (Arranged for Small Orchestra by Jósef Koffler)’ and finally ‘Studio Master 192’. By that point the computer has waved the little white flag and won’t show the metadata. If you move ‘Studio Master 192’ directly to the top level of the Downloads folder it works happily. I’d originally copied the ‘Studio Master 192’ to the Qnap and when I looked at it on the Qnap earlier, it was editable as it sits under ‘Music’ and then ‘Trevor Pinnock’.

So it’s nothing to do with good old dBpoweramp, but the overcomplex way Linn package their downloads. It may be obvious to some but it wasn’t obvious to me, and I strongly suspect not to many others. Anyway, I’ve fed all this back to Linn, who have been super, and hopefully they can alter the way they do the downloads so others don’t get similarly confused.

It’s a marvellous album by the way. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

Glad you got it sorted. Never really bought the long filenames issue as I couldn’t believe this had never happened before in 4000 albums.

Listening to it now and you’re right, it’s a delightful album. Excellent recording, too. It captures beautifully that lovely warm but clear acoustic of the Snape Maltings, familiar from many Britten recordings. Thanks for the tip-off.

Roger

I finally managed to listen to the new album. Fantastic, very enjoyable work and, two weeks after the plumbers had nearly demolished my living room, a great relief! Thanks for the recommendation!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.