Io a 252/sc a real step up over 282/hcdr?

A good point. The 252 when it was launched as the 52 was deemed to need only the finest sources of the day. So, a CDS or top record player like the Linn. As I don’t stream I can’t say if the Naim NDX players are up to scratch. I suspect though that you might need better.

1 Like

I used a NDX/XPSdr into a 252 first with a 250dr and then a 300dr I found it a very enjoyable source the only thing I would add is that a S/L interconnect made hell of a difference we’ll worth it.

I admit to being more confused than before … I know the rule “first source” well … in fact I thought I had got the right path … last year I bought the Ndx and a Rega p6 … this year I changed the head going from Exact to Ania and I abandoned the N stageline in favor of the phono Rega … I was already considering the purchase of an xps for my Ndx … I think, however, it is also true that once done the pre and final investment (and 252 for me would be the last step since I will never get to 552 … I already know), you built the solid bases to continue playing with source upgrades … In fact, my idea was to complete the central part of the chain and in a couple of years try to update the Ndx to the 2 trying to find it at more human prices … I don’t know what I’ll do now … I’m almost afraid I’ll get only a deterioration because (as rightly said by all of you) the 252 will do nothing but highlight the difficulties of the my sources not yet up to 252 …

If you truly believe in the importance of the source and you stream I am not sure going from NDX to NDX2 will solve your problem either. If you take a long term view and the 252 is at a fantastic price you could still get it now and commit to either a better digital or vinyl source later. Make it part of a long term plan and it makes more sense.

1 Like

I certainly hope so as that’s the direction Im moving in with my NDX2/XPSdr/282/SCDR/250dr based system (also have reasonably spec’d LP12).

Of course it is, the 252 will really allow you to hear the characteristics and style the NDX2 renders the recordings…

It really is a myth to say sources are not good enough for a particular preamp etc… the better the preamp, the better it allows you to hear what the source brings to the party… nothing is neutral, the replay chain is a string of colouration that you tune to suite taste.

The better the preamp, the more you appreciate different sources… at least it does for me.

The other key thing to remember is that many, including I believe Naim, consider the NAC the heart of a Naim system, and it brings along everything with it… the sources, speaker and power amp, which is why many get the best NAC you can afford and move up from there… and in my Hi-Fi experience of 30 plus years, that has certainly been the case for me.

6 Likes

On a less good source, the wider you open the window the poorer it will sound IME. A bare CDX sounded better to me using 42.5 pre instead of a 102. But with a CDPS/CDX combo the situation was completely reversed.
However it also demonstrated that it can be a waste to invest too heavily in source quality if the preamp isn’t of similar quality.

in fact to me improving and upgrading my hi fi system is a bit like walking … you step forward with your right leg and then step forward with your left leg … slowly the quality of the whole system increases hand in hand … in my opinion of course … then the moment will come that I can dedicate myself only to the source and psu because everything else will remain fixed with me (nap, nac, speaker)

Hi Simon

If you could only choose 1 upgrade from below

1. 282 Ndx and upgrade the NDX by adding a Chord Hugo

2. 282 NDX and upgrade the 282 to 252 but keep the NDX

Which would you choose ?

Hmm. tricky… as I know how good the Hugo is and how it really excels on the high end NACs like 552… so I think if I had only one source, I would upgrade to the Hugo in your example… if I had multiple sources I would upgrade to the 252… and save hard for the Hugo :grinning:

2 Likes

Yes of course but you confirm what I did myself… keep the 282 and buy the Hugo

The 252/SCDR is great though … no doubt about that at all

I like them both… If I had to choose (which luckily I don’t :slight_smile: ) I’d go for 252 every time…

But… I think 252 really shines when partnered with NAP 300DR. This particularpower amp just works really well with the pre-amp.

4 Likes

yes it is a great sounding amplifier, which needs a very high quality source.

1 Like

Yeah, I can vouch for that combination. It’s superb.

2 Likes

Very much agreed I initially used a 250dr with my 252 upgrading to a 300dr and it is a superb combination.

So is upgrade to 252, if you wont ultimately upgrade from 250DR to 300, worthwhile ?

I hope to find out soon … in a few days the 252 will arrive that will replace the 282 … I won’t be able to take a 300 for space reasons … at least for a few years … so my system will be 252/250 … I hope to find myself well and not find it as boring as someone described it😜

1 Like

Indeed - space is an issue for me also.

Pre is king in Naimland. 252/250 will be great. It’s just that a 300 is better. The point is that for most 252/250 is better than 282/300.

3 Likes

I’ve said this many times! I have a 282/SC(DR) and it’s superb and I don’t intend to upgrade anything. But I’ve heard the 252 on many occasions and if my friendly neighborhood Naim dealer chooses out the goodness of his heart to install one in my Fraim I won’t be sending him away!