Io a 252/sc a real step up over 282/hcdr?

I can surely relate to your experience although I do not have experience with the 252/SC/300DR. There are other amplifiers outside of Naim that present more detail and insight than the 282/HCDR/250DR that I own. However, these amps do not provide the emotion the way I like it when compared to the 282 based system. Music sounds flat with reduced macrodynamics. Transients don’t leap out from the background as much with other amps, the infamous PRaT of Naim amps which contribute to the toe-tapping factor missing.

I have read many comments on the comparison between 252 and 282 and the general consensus is the 252 is more detailed, insightful and subtle than 282 while the 282 is more exuberant, upfront and dynamic than the 252. Similarly I am aware that the 282 is less detailed but as you have aptly mentioned which I tend to agree, it will largely depend on how the person would like the music to sound like to his ears or preference. The feeling of live music you get with the 282/300DR vs a more more detailed setup of the 252/SC/300DR. Similarly I find the 282/HCDR/250DR to have a live sound which is very appealing to me.

It’s the larger-than-life presentation of the 282 that got me hooked, the dynamics and exuberance that made my Harbeth speakers come to life. I have accepted the shortcomings of the less detailed sound of the 282 as the overall presentation is more important to me. The Chord QBD76 DAC did help a little in the detail department though as other inferior DAC or sources may cause the 282-based system to sound duller.

3 Likes

in a few days 252 will arrive (i hope). I have read that to have the best is important the arrangement of the cables (burndy and snaic) … could anyone explain to me what is the right way to dress the cables? thanks as always for the valuable suggestions of this forum …

Angelo

@angelodipa try and let the burndy and SNAIC hang togther from the 252 into the supercap (will try and find a photo of mine) with the 2 cables toching each other when possible

my 252 is on FRAIM the 252 is on the top and right on bottom 252/NDX/300/300DR/SC,

they are not touching the floor, as ever Burndy and SNAIC I tightern the locking collar

2 Likes

That’s interesting - how do you dress the burgundies for the 300? If your photo could show that as well it would help.

I recently replaced my Uniti Star with NDX 2, 252/SCDR and 250DR and my dealer advice me to not touch the Burndy power cable to anything at all. Whilst the guy who sold me the 252 said need to crisscross Burndy and SNAIC cable.

Pictured is how I crisscross which I think is probably wrong and worst of all it is touching the floor.

I am also confused by the manual saying “Burndy and 5 pin DIN cables should be run as close together as possible”, so does that mean it should not be touching too much.

My NDX 2 also got front paint issues, but dealer taking care of it soon :+1:

Soundwise I guess still waiting to burn-in probably, does not really feel very positive. I am it must be my setup of cable dressing :thinking:

Speaker is a 86dB Dynaudio Special 40 which I think 250DR is more than enough.

This is my 1st separate after Uniti Star, have to say a bit underwhelmed.

@johns will take a couple of shots later and post

![IMG_4433|373x500](upload://9y18CpyyrjbqOxCW1FkNrPjECoP.jpeg) 

The burndy and SNAIC hang naturally in a G shape, under no tension, the cables are touching when possible, the other suggestion from my dealer is every so often under do burndy and stretch out and re fit

The 300 burndy are left to hang naturally with no tension

The reason for running the Burndy and SNAIC as close as possible is probably to do with induced currents which are proportional to the area and the magnetic flux inside a loop. Without knowing the design of cables etc one is guessing, but Naim want to keep it simple.

Brain and Brawn stacks can help with floor contact. More space behind the stack has benefits also.

Phil

1 Like

Thanks - been trying to work out how I would fit in a 300 with the space I have, so this is very useful.

1 Like

@angelodipa looking forward to your impressions once you get it. I ended up buying a NAC282 which should arrive in a few days

of course … I will be happy to share my impressions with the forum … I hope tomorrow to receive everything … before assembling everything, however, I decided to send to the official Italian assistance center to have a complete check and be sure that everything is in order … so it will take some time …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.