Is a "dead room" the ultimate room?

You’re right ofcourse, but there is a tradeoff. If you have a really good pair of monitor speakers, then 80-90% of the music will sound rather unimpressive. Whereas on a pair of good hifi speakers 80-90% of the music will sound pretty great, but at the potential sacrifice of some precision or detail. Good monitors will reveal that a lot of music isn’t that well produced, and how that influences your listening habits, well that’s personal i guess. I’m sure there are some people who only listen to excellently produced music, and in that case the more detail could be the better. For those people, a reference speaker could be a good option (i still wouldn’t recommend true monitor speakers for that purpose though).

Why do you feel the size of the speaker a problem sound-wise?

I agree that visually the effect is hideous. And I have no idea what those speakers are or whether they might sound good, so I am not arguing that they would sound good in that room, rather I am just wondering what makes you specifically equate their large size compared to the room as meaning they would not sound good.

The amount of the bass and the high frequencies would be too much. At least it’s my little experience when I heard sometimes too big speakers in a moderate space.
Even brands like ATC for instance don’t recommend rooms inferior of 20 m2 to their ATC 40 speakers. Neither a lot of honest dealers won’t advise you to buy Magico speakers in a 15m2 room.

1 Like

Those speakers look like something smaller ‘photoshopped’ into the room, but taking them to be genuine, without knowing knowing what they sound like I simply have no idea! But from the music point of view I wouldn’t rule them out simply on account of their generous dimensions - though visually they are hideous, the room unattractive and uncomfortable looking, and absolutely treatment is needed, most particularly behind the seat. Probably better to completely rearrange the room even before trying the speakers…

For a car I choose something that first of all I believe will be reliable, otherwise no point, and has enough room, comfortable handles well, with adequate performance - looks come last, though they do apply and rule some out, real bonus when good looking. I’ve never had the luxury of choosing on colour, though I have ruled out in the past because I would not have a black car.

With hifi it is sound quality that counts - size is visual aesthetics, and visuals may rule something out, especially as I share the house with family (I’ve already commented on those speakers and that room, but the primary subject of this sub-discussion within the room treatment consideration is size rather than specific model)

I think in general music fits the venue where its either recorded or performed. That should get you the best listening experience and hopefully satisfy the composer. But its all a compromise which most of life is. One thought, music played on a good system gets you pretty close to the real thing. But then go and listen to the real thing.
In classical music certain concert halls are renowned for their acoustics as well as being good venues to record in. The old Kingsway Hall used by both Decca and EMI years ago. You might need to ask the composer if they thought about the hall their music would be performed in. Think of the enormous symphonies by Mahler and Bruckner. Both composers must have had an idea of venue size to get the best from their compositions. At the other extreme the classic demo recording “Jazz at the Pawnshop” works just as well in its own way.
A bit off topic perhaps, but the South Bank Centre has three concert halls; each for a specific number of players.
Popular music. That’s another topic perhaps?

With recordings that preserve the sound of tube trains below! Interestingly that is a spurious sound that has never bothered me listening.

I have recently installed two gik tritraps in the front corners and two monster bass traps (Broad band) 1 metre being my listening position. The latter seem to have the biggest impact on sound quality in my room. I haven’t treated the side walls so I guess my room has minimal treatment but I am pleased with the results. I am considering treating the first reflection points but don’t think I would want anything further.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.