Is it Insane to Pair a Pair of Focal Kanta 1 with an XS Stack?

The Naim offer certainly presents something of a challenge to those 18 year olds raised on the idea that an LP12 with Basik arm and cartridge, a NAD3020 and Wharfedale Diamonds was a system to aspire to!

4 Likes

Yea and that was a load of cobblers. A dealer I frequented in North London at the time used to demo the LP12 configuration you mention above up against a Michell Focus/Mayware/ATF5/Step up/AR A60/Spendors (I forget the model) and guess what the latter had it by a mile.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Please take a chill pill Lindsay, we are broadly on the same side on this one.

1 Like

Deep breath :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Ultimately it’s up to you and your ears.

A few years ago, from a fairly pokey olive system I stepped back to CD5XS/FCXS, 152XS/FCXS, 155XS, retaining my existing Kudos C10s (later iteration), a set up that lasted a bit over 3years.

Then by degrees I found that the HCDR is much better than the FCXS, the 202 than the 152, the 200 than the 155, and the CDX2 than the CD5XS.

I can’t help thinking that an XS system (although fine in itself) is quite a weak platform on which to place quite such a high end speaker. Opening the window wider lets in the dirt as well as the fresh air.

For myself I believe that aiming for a higher level of electronics will yield more lasting satisfaction.

But trust your own ears, not what anyone here says!

l have a psir of Nest Motive SE2’s on a Uniti2 and Nap200. The bass goes very low but l seem to hear some resonance listening to vocals when the voice goes very low in the register. l tried moving the speakers further into the room but it didn’t change anything. Could be a mismatch or they just don’t suit my room. l never noticed it with the 202/200 system l had before l cut down the box count. It’s very important to try the speakers in your room in your setup. They are all different.

1 Like

I’m guessing your system isn’t actually playing as wide bandwidth as you think you are hearing.
Those very deep low notes are most probably an artefact of your speakers.
Careful placement could help, but ultimately a source/pre upgrade to get those low tones in the amp to hand over to your speakers as best and as clean as possible.

l was thinking of jumping to a pre-owned Ndx2/Nac 252 then getting a Nap 250 in the future. More boxes agsin but l miss the SQ. Thanks for the tip.

I reckon this is the simulacrum of this thread.
If you could…
Pair a very capable speaker in front of something not requiring a large box count, resources and electricity to make a cogent musical approximation. To.
Having a capable transparent speaker with a shed load of gear behind it and requiring more electricity and resources.

A type of speaker that will give a very satisfying and musical experience with the very basic of capable gear behind it, making use of its inherent design to make those artefacts musical !!!
It’s the future now. Isn’t it ?

1 Like

Nait 1?

2 Likes

Once I tried my Nait 2 with Linn Kaber loudspeakers.
Those Linn were probably ten times more expensive.
It sounded great (limitations of course)

I just loved the Kabers and they matched my room etc.

My point is, speakers are a very personal choice
I’d never buy Focal myself but if interest is piqued wait for a possible listen -
To as many as possible, Neat, Kudos, Proac, Dynaudio, PMC, ATC and more, gives an idea what’s out there for you.

Yup i agree, especially in a ‘balanced’ system.

1 Like

Why get the xs when sn3 exists? Also… that nd5 is eventually, probably soon, going to need its screen replaced and that’ll cost more than the unit is worth. Unload what you have for a sn2 & PSB Alpha speakers if necessary.

Regarding focal Kanta n1 and n2, I have heard them playing with an Uniti atom and denon PMA-2500ne and they both paired well. And with the Focal Kanta you can grow your system with better and powerful amps in the future, in the auditorium they did not sound bad with the two amplifiers.

The kanta are easy to drive and excellent speakers, they are fast, detailed and very textured. I prefer the Sopra because they produce a fuller sound, but the Sopra line requires more demanding amplifiers.

The Focal Area line is not bad, but the beryllium twitters give you another look in to the mix that the focal lines without it can’t archive.

1 Like

Just to bring my story to a close (for now) out of lockdown I’ve auditioned a number of speakers and in the end settled on a bargain pair of ex demo B &W 805 D3. I’m very happy with the sound and the opportunity to get more out of the speakers with future upgrades. Thanks all for you thoughts and guidance.

4 Likes

I have had almost 20 years ago the Nautilus 804 and 805, and I loved them, the 805 produced better and more beautiful voices than the 804, I am not familiar with the current generation B&W but for sure they are much improved and very good speakers.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.