Is it okay to stack Naim audio equipment or do you have to use racks?

Fraim works well with naim as it should.
The fraim rack rings and adds life and speed.
But some problems you can get is, some gear sounds worse on it, some gear doesn’t like the glass, it can over excite things if not careful.
But sticking with naim gear, i think it would be hard to beat it.
But i have placed wood chopping blocks between the glass and gear, etc, etc. But found after a time i have revered back to just the fraim.

1 Like

I reverted to Quadraspire SVT. I like it’s simplicity and it sounds excellent. I don’t have Naim kit anymore, save for 3 Powerlines (well that’s expenive enough isn’t it?!) and I think that Fraim is not necessarily the best sounding choice for non-Naim gear.

2 Likes

I don’t know, what I need just hear music, why it so complicated hehehe

3 Likes

How about ‘as simple or complicated as you choose’?

1 Like

I think I am agree not to stack the unit and I think Its ok

1 Like

I must admit I sometimes wish that back in the 1970’s I had just bought a nice Sony music centre and been done with it all! Life would have been so much simpler and less expensive than the path I chose!

Its your choice hehe, good luck

I’m faced with a similar dilemma. No room on the rack and I’m thinking about adding an xps dr to my system. What is best way if you absolutely had to stack? Would putting some sort of isolation feet or platform between two boxes help the situation?

1 Like

You could put it on the floor. It’s only a power supply. (Puts on crash helmet and hides under the table). :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Not a lot of room on the floor next to the rack :disappointed:

Amen.

A truism that sometimes gets forgotten or obscured in discussions herein.

I love the sound of a rack made from local wood - do you promise to post a picture when it’s done?

Mark

Exactly my solution when I bought a NAPSC and couldn’t even begin to justify spending nearly double its value on a new FraimLite shelf for it to sit on. The corner of the marble fireplace next to the rack was, in my dealer’s opinion, the best option:

Comments on the amount of dust are entirely justified - I’ve mentally booked tomorrow morning for a strip and clean.

Mark

1 Like

If you don’t have room for a hifi rack then I would stack but with rubber tap washers under the feet of each level. There is a danger of marking on the casework but that is the compromise you have to decide on. Try and stack with the transformer/power supply side located as if you were using a rack.
I have successfully removed rubber circle marks with window cleaner.

1 Like

Smart move keeping the puck there - keeps the feet from compressing, leading to inevitable future slippage. (I speak from experience.)

1 Like

Thanks - and we’ll spotted! I seem to remember getting at least one snarky reply in the past when I recommended such a habit. People are funny.

Mark

I never would have thought it mattered…until it did, and I couldn’t play CDs and had to buy another. School of hard knocks.

1 Like

The house is an hour south of Hobart. There’s lots of people down there who make stuff from the wood, and when you see it you see why - black sassafras and myrtle are among my favourites. We will go down for Christmas, sending the hi-fi first and then start on furniture. Buying from ebay here is much better than doing it from there!

My girlfriend has a Nova and we were going to use that, but I already had a spare Naim 82 and Hicap unused (upgraded a couple of years ago to 52). Add ND5XS2, olive 250 (serviced 2021) and Core (for £1K with 2 TB SSD), some old A5 cable and all I need are speakers. Total outlay so far just less than a new Nova.

I have arranged to buy ex-dem Neat Xplorers when they are no longer needed for dems (probably September). I hope the shipping and the furniture-buying goes as smoothly!

2 Likes

Be very glad you didn’t!

Sony were my “wilderness years”…

We had a Sony something or other all-in-one (my wife’s choice and her insistence that she didn’t want black boxes, so my hi fi was consigned to the loft)…it took a long while, but she eventually agreed that the Sony nightmare was too miserable to endure and I could get the Linn etc set up again, though she vetoed the 32/SNAPS/250 (on visual grounds). This led to a Linn Majik amp for a few years…not bad, but…not Naim. Luckily, I eventually won her over with an XS2.

Phew.

2 Likes

The same for me. The only difference is that I stack my XS-2 on top of CD5SI.

1 Like

The biggest bug-a-boo to stacking any electronics is heat dissipation so to a certain extent it matters what pieces are stacked. Despite having a dedicated rack for my naim equipment, I still have two pieces stacked , the tuner and cd, both are 5 series and are rarely on at the same time. Neither heats up. Keeping transformers away from low level signals is obviously desirable and within reason components should be separated but real-world usually involves compromises but certainly heat dissipation needs to be considered. Also a few well placed pieces of felt under the feet should eliminate scuff marks on the actual equipment.

1 Like