Is my active crossover faulty? Something is!

Just as a precaution try re-torquing the main drivers on the speakers, it’s probably not that as it’s unlikely the’ve both gone at the same time but if the bolts are a bit loose it can cause buzzing dependant on programme and probably a small variation between the amps will excite things a bit differently.

Thanks Yeti.

Have done.

And is the Qute to 250 interconnect cable the same interconnect as had been 252 to Snaxo. If so, silly question - any possibility you crossed over the inputs of the 2nd 250? Because if yes and yes, then maybe the interconnect cable.

Different cable. Qute output is 2x RCA but to 3 pin DIN input on the 250.

The active set up uses a DIN to DIN from SNAXO to 250. It uses one for each amp and I tried them both ways around.

Keep trying folks. I will try the chrome 250 tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Bruce

New type of tinnitus, swapping from ear to ear?

:smile:

To begin with I just thought Lana Del Rey was too close to the mike…

I imagine you have tried just using the Qute with your speakers to exclude a cable/speaker issue just in case the soldering on your cables is failing?

Hi Bruce,

Sounds typical of the caps in the power supplies of the 250s beginning to oscillate, I will stick my neck out & say that it occuring on both amps (purchased seperately) simultaneously is pure coincidence.

It happens gradually over a long period.

Have the 250s serviced & I think you will be delighted with the results.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Well my wife was fed up with me chuntering so I have fiddled some more and…hallelujah.

My old chrome bumper 250 from the office is distortion free in the system passive and on the main driver active. So one needs a recap, and it probably makes sense to do both. The oldest is 1990 and I bought it a fair few years ago, the other 1995. I will ask Naim if ever serviced…bit embarrassing really.

Thanks to all for suggestions. Apols to Mrs W who wanted to do something else with her evening not stepping over cables and boxEs.

Bruce

3 Likes

Final fiddle; one is worse than the other but both have a bit of a drop in similar ways. No wonder I was confused.

Naim confirm one not been serviced since made in 1990, the other last done 2005.

Reasonable to give them some tlc I think.

Wow Bruce can’t complain about the 1990 one , done really well, and the other has 14 years on it.

2 Likes

Bruce, well done for the patient process of deduction. Yes, it sounds very much like your 250s have been on borrowed time for a while. The good news though is that they will come back from a service performing as good as, and perhaps even better than when new.

1 Like

30 years and needs a service. Naim should be ashamed :grin:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.