Is Naim missing something in the long run?

So to me anything more than the Atom is high end.

“High End” is just marketing twaddle.

1 Like

Are things really marketed as ‘high end’, I thought it more a colloquialism .

I think it’s called high end because some of the extraordinary stuff shown here demonstrates it has come from somebodys ‘high end’!

What HiFi Magazine use the term and have a “high end show”. And its use seems to be increasing on here. :grimacing:

Expensive

1 Like

hahaha

1 Like

Excessive ?

how you name the Bugatti shiron or top Ferrari range or level ?

Decadent.

high-end, the boys-club. these days not relevant to me.

but \in the 70’s I learnt a lot from absolute sound. then it was a group of experienced listeners trying out stuff (much of it affordable) in their own well-curated systems. they not only discussed sound quality but often discussed long-term usability and reliability.

Normal magasines just listed the features and presented basic measurements. But I enjoyed the DIY articles in HiFi-News.

not in terms of judgment but what is the english term to qualify this range?

Supercars. (For the rich, and stuff of which mere mortals can only dream.)

the same for active naim system with 3 statement amps, snaxo, 3 supercaps, nd555 with 2 555 dr and melco n10, with Magico M6 speakers and full chord music cables: 600 k.

Antiques
Obsolete petrol cars with no auto pilot. You pay a fortune and have to drive and park them yourself. Hardly desirable in 21st century.

1 Like

For active operation of the Magico you would have to get rid of the passive crossover and I don’t think that is possible.

And in maybe a couple of decades time, sculptures - because without hydrocarbon fuel they will simply be static decorative items!

1 Like

yes you are right. So Kudos titan 808.

i wanted just to know the english term like high end, prestige, state of the art …range. In France it’s « prestige « or « hypercar ».
For audio. americans use often « state of the arts » ( absolute sound or stereophile magazines).

There is no specific term, though in my observation ‘high end’ is probably used most - but as discussed a little earlier in the thread it has no distinct cut in point, so is used by different people to denote different levels of equipment.

‘State of the art’ tends to be used more by manufacturers in their claims than by people describing high level.

‘Prestige’ is a term assigned by some manufacturers to their highest level or range, but more generally I think is rarely used in relation to level of hifi equipment, rather it perhaps is more about some people’s feeling of status arising from ownership of expensive things than.