Is RP10 Any Good?

I’m thinking of upgrading my turntable, budget around £7500 (with cartridge) and there doesn’t seem a lot around this price as a package and I keep coming back to the Rega RP10 and Alpheta, has anyone any experience with this set up? and is it any good?

1 Like

Yes, it’s very good. However, a mint secondhand RP10 with Apheta 2 shouldn’t run you much more than around £2K-£2.5K. Otherwise look at it’s updated successor, the P10, running either an Apheta 3 or perhaps an Aphelion or something from the Lyra stable.

2 Likes

Are you referring to the current Planar 10 (P10) or the previous version, the RP10? The P10 is considerably better, but doesn’t have a proper plinth, which may or may not be important. I have a P10 with Apheta 3 and an Aria 3 phono stage, and rate it very highly.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, I was looking at the new model with the Alpheta 3, it’s mainly the skeletal look that puts me off, is doesn’t look robust enough to sound good :slight_smile:

1 Like

It sounds very good but there are others out there in your price range, Roksan, Vertere, Avid etc. Time for some demos.

2 Likes

My mistake, I meant the later P10 and Alpheta 3, great thanks for the response

Definitely Demo time me thinks, liked the Vetere MG1 but was a little more than I wanted to pay.

2 Likes

It’s worth reading Rega’s book, A Vibration Measuring Machine, which goes into Rega’s design approach in depth. There are many ways to make turntables. The Rega, while very light, is extremely rigid, with its unjointed arm and a ceramic brace between the arm and bearing. It’s a very clever design that uses some interesting materials.

Other decks do of course exist and the best thing is to try a few. The looks of a TT are very important, and you have to enjoy interacting with it.

3 Likes

So very true, playing vinyl as a visual pleasure too, I don’t dislike the look of the P10 it just looked a bit minimalist to sound good on the low end but I guess it’s engineered this way for a purpose as Rega certainly know what they’re doing

1 Like

Having owned both , on the same system, I would not say the P10 is considerably better. Better because it’s a bit more authoritative, with better defined bass, and more neutral.
But the Rp10 had a more forgiving character, a charm of its own.

10 Likes

Very happy with my P10 and Apheta 3 cartridge.

Must admit, the first time I saw it I thought ‘what the hell is that?’ Having recovered from the shock of the new I now love the minimalist design. I first demo’d it a year ago. It sounded sublime. Had to have one and upgraded from a p6.

3 Likes

One reviewer was so impressed with the MG1 he bought one for himself!

1 Like

@nasty Interesting topic - visual pleasure : Industrial design, ergonomics and aesthetics, etc. Maybe a very personal topic. That is, considering the balance between sound quality and design or visual impact, in your own space at home ?

It is the reason why I’m sticking with my two turntables :

• Rega RP6 ( Ania Pro - RP6 - NEO PSU - Aria Phono)
  • Linn LP12 ( version of Akurate level)

So, a personal preference is for a solid, substantive, maybe even more “traditional” plinth. If I was ever persuaded to upgrade with Rega from the RP6, might consider a nice “pre-loved” RP8 or RP10, with a new Rega MC cartridge and Aura MC Phono.

Whilst the P10 is widely acclaimed as a super deck, its looks aren’t for everyone !

Different users might arrive at different thoughts on this interesting topic. Maybe take the time to go and look at a few different turntable options. Handle and use them. And also demo’ some along the way too.

Good luck. Enjoy the journey.

KR
R

2 Likes

The P10 is certainly small, not much bigger than a record really.

6 Likes

What a display of excellent taste that was too …
… he said from a completely impartial viewpoint…

Best regards, BF

7 Likes

yet beautifully formed.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Stunning, was just a little outside my budget at this point

As you have the Luxman 509 integrated, why not the flagship Luxman pd 171 a ?

2 Likes

I had considered this but they seem to have dropped it for the 151?

Strange, the 3 different tt models on their site are discontinued.

1 Like