Is the nac 52 still a good pre amp today?

I have a Nac52 and would never sell it. Added a Supercap DR and it improved the sound. I have never heard the 552 but 252 was comparable but not better. Nac 42, 72, and 82 were excellent as well however.

2 Likes

I still have my 52 and also an 82,
I was just wondering how they stand up against modern amps.

1 Like

The olive kit had a magic that was lost with the black boxes and the 52 was at the pinnacle of that experience for me. Looking back I would’ve been better off going to the 52 from the 72 instead of jumping into the classic series. Whether or not it works for you today like everything depends on your particular use case and preferences.

2 Likes

I remember hearing a Naim Nac 52 with an active pair of Linn Isobariks back in the early 1990’s. It was being driven by a few Nap 250’s. The Nac 52 was a fine sounding preamplifier. Front ends at the time were a Naim CDS and a Linn LP12. IMHO, Julian Vereker had an ear for musIc that was just phenomenal. I still have a vintage Naim system comprised of a Naim CDi, Nac 42.5/Hicap/Nap 110, driving either a pair of KEF Reference Series model 101 or Linn Kan I bookshelf speakers. I truly enjoy this system because it’s such a pleasure to listen to music through.

4 Likes

I have a 2000 52 which I consider to be the star of my system. When I got it, it just made everything sound right somehow. I borrowed a Vitus RI a little while ago to see if it could replace the 52/300 (and potentially my streamer) to reduce the box count. The Vitus was very good indeed and I would encourage anyone thinking about reducing box count to audition it. However, in the final analysis, it just wasn’t for me and I suspect a lot of that was down to the 52. I had the 52 serviced by Class A in June of last year and I feel sure it’s just been getting better and better ever since.

5 Likes

I found that when I started moving my system to the new black boxes and DR components throughout the chain the 52 seemed to somehow lose something, and a 252 etc finished the picture. The answer to ‘how does it compare to modern preamps’ therefore might in part depend on the rest of the system around it. In a ‘classic’ system I suspect it still definitely holds its own.

Bruce

1 Like

I replaced my 252/SC2 with 52/SC2.

The 252 had a crystalline clarity, but the 52 is more engaging.

(Darran at Class A serviced all boxes.)

2 Likes

I had olive 82/HC/250 for years, then olive 52/SC/250 (a good deal better). I expected to get 135s one day but was correctly advised to try a 300DR with my 52. It doesn’t match visually, but it’s a great mix musically (as is the mighty 500), so I would no longer agree that a 52 is always best with boxes of a similar era.

5 Likes

Many years ago I had a a pair of cb 135’s which I used with an Nac72/Hicap, driving a pair of Rogers LS3/5A 15 ohm speakers. I used a CDi as the source, and to this day this system remains one of the most engaging audio systems I have ever owned. The 135’s really were outstanding for their time and still quite good in the modern day.

4 Likes

I think for Classic Naim the DR update made them a completely different beast from the early Classic and Olive / CB. More detail, analytical, tauter bass, airiness. Great if that’s what you crave but not for me. I liken the difference to my old Discovery II V8 and the current crop of Luxury barges. You can make things “Better” and “Better” but it doesn’t mean I still desire them.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.