Is the Naim DAC still a thing in 2021?

The problem is whatever you choose, you can still upgrade. Even the Nova, as some here have bought a Nap 250dr to upgrade it.

Yeah so the paramedics just left. I looked up ps555. I’d better not think about it too much. That’s. An expensive toy…

1 Like

How does the DAC in the Nova rate would you think? What do you think of the Nova for a small room (18.5 m2.) Or, what do you think of it compared to the Nd5 xs2? As is, I could go either way between the Nova and the ND5Xs2 + Nait XS 3 or the SN3…but I’m wondering if that route will see me adding…these other things (all of which I’m new to) soon whereas with the Nova I may just relax and listen to music. Tough question. As Gandalf said, advice is difficult to offer, someone may take it…

@JanW Yes lots! Currently I’m one of those happy nDAC/nd5xs2 users. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I know. Happy Eastern by the way.
Jimdog enjoys the same combo too. As others here.

1 Like

Do you think the nDAC/nd5xs2 combo comes close to a NDX2?

1 Like

If you want night and day vs your Atom, the Ndx2/ Xps dr/ SN3 is without doubt the great step. The only upgrade in the future would be an Hicap dr for the SN3.
Nova and Xs3/ Nd5xs2 are better vs the Atom, but you will be tempted to add a dac to the Nd5xs2, and upgrade the Xs3 for SN3.

1 Like

Hi Richard,

Do you use it with a powerline as well?

To be honest I didn’t really give the NDX2 a fair chance. I was auditioning a Chord Dac at the time then I found a 2nd hand nDAC for a great price and I stopped looking (I was impressed from the get-go). My initial impression is the nd5xs2/nDAC combo is at least equal to the NDX2. I’m sure other’s have done the comparison.

No, it’s on a “JG Special” Hydra…

thanks

So to stay in the same price realm as the Nova (I’m a bit flexible) the Nd5Xs2 and the SN 3 would be a good step. And be sufficient, awesome, for a year or so? Or, would the Nova compete with that set? For me now, that would be $1850 more than the Nova.

It would be better than a Nova, but not night and day…

2 Likes

Both a real, ironic question.

The challenge is keeping the system balanced for the level of investment. To stay close to budget, I’d think more towards staying with the Nova. The next natural pairing that is noticeably better is a SN2/NDX2 and that leaves plenty of room for upgrading with power supplies and better cables in the future. But it’s twice the cost of the Nova.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much my summation. I’m not going to rush out to buy different speakers, so I think for my room and Chora 816s the Nova will be great. The Atom sounds great as is.

1 Like

Like Richard said earlier in the thread the NDac is very flexible and does provide a good hub. Mine is 11 years old and I had it serviced late last year but came back faulty and I ended up with a brand new board, sounds good but I think it’s still running in.

Tim

The Nova is a great allround machine in a single box, but it’s not perfect obviously. The separates you describe would maybe give you a 5-10% improvement (just ball parking), it’s up to you if you think that is worth the extra money. The step up to the ndx2 set that @frenchrooster described would perhaps be another 10-20% improvement, which again depends on your goals and budget if that is worth the investment to you.

It’s not really possible to describe this stuff in percentages ofcourse, but you get the general idea. To get the best out of the separates you would really have to look into dedicated power supplies as well.

1 Like

Can I be honest? I don’t really get what that is. Can a steamer be run through that into an amp, SN3 is it? So DAC would in essence place a preamp or eliminate the need for an integrated amp if only streaming?

Hi airedog

The nDAC just replaces the dac in the streamer so essentially just using the streamer as a transport .

Doesn’t affect the SN2

1 Like