Is the Naim DAC still a thing in 2021?

Well more evidence - I had a Nova and compared it to Core/nDAC/Nait 2 combo

Guess what went back to the dealer :blush:

I have used the nDAC for 10 years in a computer based system. I added the XPS power supply not long after purchase. I have run it all that time with two old laptops but in the last week, have upgraded these to a pair of Intel NU510 mini PCs. It sounds great but it remains outperformed by my LP12/Armageddon/ARO/Troika.

2 Likes

Agree JazzMan- I have the LP12/karousel/ARO/Linn Krystal

Vinyl still rules for SQ, way ahead

1 Like

Agree, since adding lingo 4 and Hana LM to my Lp12 find this far more dynamic, less harsh and more real than my nDac and CDX2, so not playing as many cds

I just added a XPS-Dr to my nDac. It just made a good system really good IMHO. I had no idea what I was missing and it hasn’t even “warmed” up yet.

8 Likes

Very good :+1::+1:. Naim sound is very good when the additional ps is added. Without, it’s not so magical. Enjoy your next happy days and rediscovering of your music !

2 Likes

I would agree and disagree with our resident rooster here. Yes, a PSU on the Naim DAC does bring nice improvements (especially with 555PS), but the DAC on its own is still excellent.

6 Likes

I was more generally speaking, just found the XPS, the hicap, on Cdx2, Cd5xs, 202, stageline…transformational. It added openness, refinement, fluency, nice organic sound, for my ears.
But I confess that I had not tried the Ndac in my system, so maybe it’s different here.

1 Like

Agree Richard - lovely product from Naim and really good value

2 Likes

I think this is rather box dependent. With some boxes and PSs I have found the effect of the PS rather modest (eg Flatcap XS on CD5XS). With others, it’s transformational. I would not have bought my SN1 without its accompanying HiCap.

Roger

2 Likes

Probably PeakMan

CD5XS/nDAC - magical

Add XPS - 2 : more magic

1 Like

You’ve got that right! Always a good sign when you want to rediscover your favorite tracks…

1 Like

Does the nDAC require servicing in a similar manner to amplifiers and preamps? There’s a fellow locally selling an older nDAC in mint condition. I’ve always wanted one. But I have no idea if it needs service like a recap, etc.

If it contains things that degrade from original design, then a service is a great way of getting it back to design. So as it will contain devices such as capacitors, the answer is yes. Contact your dealer or Class A for a better answer though.

Unlike power amps the large capacitors in the Ndac run at nowhere near the maximum specified voltage and nowhere near the maximum specified temperature. This prolongs the useful life of the capacitors, plus they are long life capacitors. The recommended replacement time is 15 years.

2 Likes

Sweet! Plenty of time left for me. Hopefully a nDAC v2 will be released. I know, wishful thinking on my part.

1 Like

Martin, what was the difference going from XPS to PS555 on the nDac?

Well - I’m not one of these people who hears differences that are night and day. One of the few exceptions was when I got the DAC in place of a CD5 - and the DAC was a revelation (in a good way - but bright). Then I got the XPS, and it calmed it down a bit. DAC on its own was like an OLED TV on sport setting - bright - lots of detail, then with the XPS it was like OLED Normal setting, when initially it seems a bit subdued, but was actually easier to watch (listen to) over a while. 555 took it further (like Dark Room Custom on OLED) - still easier to listen to, noticeably more natural, and the detail was back in focus. Another analogy would be looking through binoculars with clean lenses and perfectly focused.
The XPS was really good - but the 555 delivered more of those moments when the music raises the hairs on your arm. Whether it is worth the price difference new is a personal choice, but second hand it makes sense.

7 Likes

Thank you ‘Thegreatroberto’ and ‘Fatcat’ for your replies. The nDAC is from 2011, so still a while until it would need service.

1 Like

Well you are not the only one. Given it could take a while to improve on the Burr Brown 1704K it would make sense to go to market with a nDAC2 before moving on to the streamers. My wish is for USB, analogue BNC spdif and toslink inputs.

I am very happy with my Innuos Zenith into mine with 555DR.

Phil

1 Like