Is the NAS dead for audio?

Are you streaming Tidal natively or through Minim? Just want to be sure b/c the Tidal through Minim is sublime compared to native.

And then there’s the bubble soft server that can be used to stream Radio Paradise FLAC which is also sublime compared to native (320k).

I’ve spent quite a bit of time setting up and tweaking my QNAP but it’s been worth the effort. I don’t know of an alternative way to manage a significant library size that is easier or has better SQ.

I’m streaming natively through the Naim app. Are you suggesting I stream it to the NAS first and then use BubbleUPnP app to send it to. The SuperUniti?
I don’t think there is a bubble app for iOS devices. Is there something else I could use?

You need to run BubbleUPnP server on a computer or NAS, and use a third party app such as Kazoo or Lumin to control it from an iPhone.

Ahh… yes, I was talking fixed PSS/JANET connection to the early internet… not acoustic modem connection pre internet, ie when we used ARPANet/EPSS … when one typically connected to the local, or not so local main frame usually at a University/polytechnic or similar via a serial link over the PSTN . … because if so… although this was when I was at secondary school, we also had a 110/300 baud connection acoustic coupled with our teletype access connected to a PDP 11 shared computer some 20 miles away.

I used to have a Superuniti with Kudos X2s, and because I am lazy, I bought a Unitiserve. It was my first Naim streamer, and a move away from a Mac which I found did not make a very good ripper/digital source. I still have the US, seven years later, and I have no regrets about buying it. On the other hand, I would say that for the money, there are better ways to improve the sound quality of your system than buying a Unitiserve.

1 Like

Okay, I misspoke. The Minim Server I installed on my QNAP is for streaming RP FLAC (and any radio stations). I have my radio stations saved in a playlist (.m3u) file that I access through the Naim App. And the Bubble Server I installed on my QNAP is for streaming Tidal which I control through the Kazoo app. I’m on all Mac and iOS devices here.

There’s a couple threads here that detail how to do this.

Edit - Here’s the RP FLAC file thread. Pay attention to Adrian_P’s posts.

Minim Server is for streaming your CD rips and downloads from your NAS.
Bubble is used for streaming Tidal/Qobuz.

ElMarko, as Guinnless says, MinimServer is a UPnP server and is mainly used to stream CD rips from your NAS to your UPnP renderer (usually a Naim streamer in this case). An additional benefit of MinimServer is the MinimStreamer addon which can be used to play and record network radio streams and transcode both network streams and locally-stored files.

Thanks I corrected my follow up. I only use Minim to stream radio stations as I prefer Asset for my CD rips.

I know you use Roon, which brings together what’s on your NAS, your commercial streaming service, and any other web based files into one library.

But when you say you stream everything from the cloud and you have virtualized your music library - do you mean you have actually transferred your own files to a cloud based server and you play them across the web?
Or that you stream Qobuz (and Tidal)?
Or both?

I am not sure but you can try of course.

How about an Innuous?

Hi Jim, I mean I have my original recordings which I physically own and have the perpetual rights to listen to . but I also now extend that library by items I have added to my library that I access via the cloud using one or more subscriptions (Qobuz, ApplevMusic etc). Roon is an example of an aggregator which allows this with Qobuz… I have moved away from the old school/traditional view that I physically need to own my collection… now my collection is a collection or recordings I value and enjoy… the fact I use a subscription to access some of them is irrelevant… I know I can access them… and I ultimately have a choice of physically procuring them should I need to/wish to… I guess it’s a mindset thing… but as I spent most of my career pioneering on demand services to do exactly this … i find it liberating and immensely satisfying to be able to do now it as a normal consumer.

6 Likes

Thanks Chris. I’ve installed bubble server on my NAS and am using The Lumin app to navigate Tidal. First impression, not sure If I’m hearing much of a difference… will need to have a few listening sessions to decided. :grin:

1 Like

I found it best to use a separate device to host Bubble Server. I tried it on my NAS and it wasn’t a patch on running it on an old laptop.
Once I was happy I set up a RasPi and never looked back.

That’s interesting b/c I heard an immediate improvement to native Tidal streaming.

I’ve seen reference to that here but I don’t know what it is or does. :smiley:

There was always Compuserve.

1 Like

Gosh - that brings back memories. Anyone here use(d) CIX?

Yes I did… one used xmodem or zmodem access protocols over serial link dial up… effectively into a bulletin board… what we would now call a forum… Cix also offered an email service and access to the internet UUNET service… yes the world before tcp/ip access and the World Wide Web.
The other biggies were AOL and CompuServe… I seem to remember… whilst CIX was I think specifically UK centric… AOL was a sort of Facebook of the late 80s early 90s mass targeted to consumers with a computer

A dedicated audio ripper/nas/server - as opposed to a general purpose ICT nas.
Details depending on which model In the range.